Rockwell Blade Runner

Charise2012

I saw an ad today for the new Rockwell Blade Runner and was wondering if anyone has one, seen one, and/or has any thoughts. (https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-CA/BladeRunner-RK7321.aspx). I've been looking at the information Rockwell has on line and it looks like a jigsaw in operation, and looks like you could put a fence on it like a table saw. And most importantly its under $200 which is a make or break for me (as I'm sure it would be for anyone haha)

I'm a single mom doing wood working and currently rely on my dad to help me cut my plywood into manageable chunks for me to work with, which means I have to buy the plywood with him, take it to his house and he cuts it on his table saw and brings it to my house. Currently I have him cut strips so that are 11 inches high and then I use my scroll saw to reduce the size to what I need to work with which can be quite awkard and time consuming. And I have the same issue with thicker peices of wood I might use for a base etc.

I have a table saw, but to be honest I am scared of it and I think we all know you shouldn't operate tools you are scared of! I was thinking that maybe I could still have my strips cut but then use the Blade runner to make the peices managable and or use it for the bases that I cut out of thicker wood.

Thanks ahead of time for you time reading this and any feed back

Wendy :)

With the small table on the "Blade Runner" i would doubt that you would be gaining anything over the scroll saw.

I would be more inclined to look into a cordless circular saw or a combo kit.

I suggest CPO tools and check their "reconditioned" tools. I have had very good luck with CPO!

Edited by graybeardstl

Actually if you think about it you can do the same thing with a simple saber saw. You can clamp a guide board to your plywood and then run the saber saw along the guide board. Easy enough to do and a lot safer than a table saw. I was not overly impressed with the blade runner. It essentially is a saber saw that is upside down with a table top. Hope this helps a bit.

DW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not really worth the cost, I have one and it does have some advantages. I use it to cut metal and plastic pipe. I have it mounted on the wall for quick access, If you need accuracy, well forget it, the mitre gauge is short of useless, the circle cutter works well though. As for the picture frame guide, well lets say I haven't made a perfect miter yet. There is too much play in the blade, great concept, lacks a little in quality follow through. Not sure if I could really recommend this thing. Gotta love those commercials though, if the person used tools like that for real I wouldn't recommend them using this either!