Post Your Favorite Tips

Travis

Whe stack cutting, make sure that the end of the tape (joining the pieces together) is actually on the top rather than underneath. This way, you can easily spin or turn your piece faster and smoother, without the edges of the tape curling up and sticking to the saw plate.

I know I don't need to post 3 (just like 3) but this is probably my favourite...I'm sure you all already know this one though - after drilling all if the pilot holes, use a dremel drill with a diamond cutting cone bit and re-drill the holes slightly from the back (just enough to widen them) ensuring easy blade threading, when you're unable to see the holes.

Edited by Nick@tinkers-cove

A inexpensive air filter is to use a boxfan with a cheap air conditioning filter adapted to fit. the better the filter the more dust that will be removed.You can move the fan where you need it and when it gets dirty you can take it outside and blow it out with a air comp.

sully

Use scrap or waste boards under your pattern when drilling holes for fret work to minimize or elminate tear out from drill bit exiting your work piece and then sand the underside with 180 grit or larger to remove any bumps left by drill bit exiting to assure smooth movement on scroll saw table while sawing.

On the DeWalt and Excalibur scroll saws the speed control knob is not well marked - adjust the speed to your most frequently used speed and then draw a line on the speed control knob with fingernail polish or some other marker which is straight on with the upper arm.  You will always be able to quickly return to your favorite speed and can then adjust speed up or down from that spot.

On the Excalibur, adjust the upper arm so it is perfectly parallel with the table top and then do the same marking on the arm adjustment knob at the back of the saw so when the arm starts creeping down you can tell at a glance and rapidly correct it.  I also cut a piece of wood to the correct height to slide under the arm and along the table which can be a double check for parallel.

If you are a passionate scroller and in a relationship, encourage your spouse/partner/significant other to be tolerant and understanding of your disease and occasionally remind him/her that scrolling keeps you off of the streets and out of the bars/pubs.

Edited by Doug