2 wheels on my wagon Trike

Lorn.S

My OH is working on his latest project which requires wooden wheels of a specific size and width...7cm in diameter and 2.5 cm in width (= tyre width) with a 1cm centre hole for the axle.

We cannot find anyone in the UK who makes & sells wooden wheels @ these sizes so he has had to make his own for the prototype...they look good however it is a very time consuming process...especially as our shed/workshop is still less than half finished...lot of the essential tools are still in storage.

I got to wondering...do any of you UK scrollers know of anywhere that makes bespoke wheels to the customers specification?.

Just a thought :)

lorn S, That sounds like a simple job for a woodturner. Don't you know any wood turners or have a wood turning club nearby? Are they just flat discs or are they shaped to look like real wheels?, Also saying what you want them made out of will help.  have you tried asking on the UK workshop forum in the turning section, http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php  If you where closer to me (NG20) then I could probably help you but postage would be a killer.

happy scrolling

Steve

Just had another thought, if it's just a flat disc you could make these with a hole cutter, a 7cm cutter and arbour about £20 from Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/power-tool-accessories/hole-saws+arbours/icat/holesawaarbours/ (other makes are available)

and then drill out the centre hole to 1cm.

happy scrolling

Steve

lorn S, That sounds like a simple job for a woodturner. Don't you know any wood turners or have a wood turning club nearby? Are they just flat discs or are they shaped to look like real wheels?, Also saying what you want them made out of will help.  have you tried asking on the UK workshop forum in the turning section, http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php  If you where closer to me (NG20) then I could probably help you but postage would be a killer.

happy scrolling

Steve

Thank's for that Steve...I hadn't thought of woodturners...not sure if we have any local to us but will certainly have a look and see... :D

Thank's for that Steve...I hadn't thought of woodturners...not sure if we have any local to us but will certainly have a look and see... :D

ps...latest one is Oak...tried a hole cutter on the Oak for the wheels but it is really hard stuff and starts to burn about half way through and drill gives up...the pine was easy but had a lot of break out...hence I wondered what other options there might be out there...thank's for the suggestions...appreciated :)

:) just found time to check out your site, and was blown away with your incredible crafts collection. Beautiful different projects with the twist not usually seen .Very creative top notch projects. i'm sure to go back and  admire your work. Will book mark your page. i presume the spoke wheels are for models from the sizes givin in cm .With  your tallent trial and error will get you there. This is no challenge for you seeing what you have already accomplished. Made my day to see your work!  :) .

Hi Lorn S

You've got some great looking work on your face book page !

Just a tip , if it helps , when I cut wooden wheels out of oak 'or any thing else ' with a hole saw  I always cut the edge of the wood across the outside of the  diameter

just so that the sawdust can get out , then it doesn't block the teeth of the hole saw and start to burn !

give it a try, it works for me !!!!!

P.S. I take it you ride a bike then !!    me too mate ,good on yer :)  :)

Lorn, just had a look at your facebook page and I like it a lot, you have some wonderful stuff there. as for breakout try drilling halfway through and then drill from the other side, that might help.

Frank, you wrote,

not for at least six weeks you don't :) :) :razz:

:) just found time to check out your site, and was blown away with your incredible crafts collection. Beautiful different projects with the twist not usually seen .Very creative top notch projects. i'm sure to go back and  admire your work. Will book mark your page. i presume the spoke wheels are for models from the sizes givin in cm .With  your tallent trial and error will get you there. This is no challenge for you seeing what you have already accomplished. Made my day to see your work!  :) .

Thank you Kevin...your comments are appreciated...it's a joint effort though...me with the scroll saw and my other half "Yorkie" who is the artist and Pyrographer...we had a business moving Trikes but new EU Laws in 2011 moved us from being classed as a man with a van towing a trailer to being in the same category as an Artic (Semi-Trailer I think you call them) with the same fees as they have to pay too...£5000.00 + per year...killed our business stone dead so we are trying to make a living from our wood crafting...tis slow progress but we love what we do so will keep at it...biggest problem we have here in UK is finding decent wood supplies...I'm trying acrylic as an alternative at the moment...it takes a little getting used to but I like the way it cut's...I think I will definitely do more...thank you once again for your kind words :)

Hi Lorn S

You've got some great looking work on your face book page !

Just a tip , if it helps , when I cut wooden wheels out of oak 'or any thing else ' with a hole saw  I always cut the edge of the wood across the outside of the  diameter

just so that the sawdust can get out , then it doesn't block the teeth of the hole saw and start to burn !

give it a try, it works for me !!!!!

Hi Frank...thank's for the tip...that is a brilliant idea...will definitely give it a try...need to buy some new hole cutters too though...these have seen a lot of use and are showing their age I think :)

Yes and No to the bike question ;) ...My OH "Yorkie" has the bike...I ride pillion (and love it!)...Yam 600 Diversion...had a 2008 Suzuki Intruder C800 which we had Triked in 2010 for me to use (can ride Trike on full car licence) but what with the Trike moving business having to shut down and a house move finances were tight and we had to sell her...neither of us had any use out of her and it broke our hearts to have to sell but needs must as they say...we managed to keep the little Yam so that is our run around when we can get out and about...Yorkie slipped a disk so driving and bike riding are not an option right now  :?

What's your ride mate?. :)

Lorn, just had a look at your facebook page and I like it a lot, you have some wonderful stuff there. as for breakout try drilling halfway through and then drill from the other side, that might help.

Frank, you wrote,

P.S. I take it you ride a bike then !!    me too mate ,good on yer 

not for at least six weeks you don't 

Thank's for the tip and the kind comments Steve...appreciated.

Enjoyed your work--TERRIFIC!

I make wheels a lot with hole saws in the drillpress.

The trick of leaving a sawdust  exit does help a lot.

I also have slotted some of my hole saws down the sides with a griding disk. The speed can be adjusted down also to prevent heat build-up.  I also do rise out of them a lot when doing harder woods.

Another thing I do is hand sharpen my saws with diamond files-- Small ones are cheap.

One more trick that helps is using a good quality candle wax as a lube while cutting. Lift out leave running and just run teeth into candle and also push candle against the inside and outside of the saw.

Hope these ideas help.

I buy the diamond files ta Harbor-Freight. I don't know whether or not you have them; but, probably have an equivalant anyway.

Hi Lorns /Yorkie

Sorry to hear about  your back Yorkie , Ouch , sounds painful ,

I ride a Bmw 800 /7 had her (Doris) 30 od years ,as  Steve says ,not for the next few weeks , had op on me right shoulder !!!!!  bl*@~y  painful at the mo, l.o.l.

hope my trick works mate  -----------------------Frank----------------

Enjoyed your work--TERRIFIC!

I make wheels a lot with hole saws in the drillpress.

The trick of leaving a sawdust  exit does help a lot.

I also have slotted some of my hole saws down the sides with a griding disk. The speed can be adjusted down also to prevent heat build-up.  I also do rise out of them a lot when doing harder woods.

Another thing I do is hand sharpen my saws with diamond files-- Small ones are cheap.

One more trick that helps is using a good quality candle wax as a lube while cutting. Lift out leave running and just run teeth into candle and also push candle against the inside and outside of the saw.

Hope these ideas help.

I buy the diamond files ta Harbor-Freight. I don't know whether or not you have them; but, probably have an equivalant anyway.

Brilliant ideas...many thank's  :D rjR...appreciated as are your encouraging comments...personally I think I have a long way to go and a lot of practice to do before I come close to the work many of you guy's produce...BUT...I enjoy the trying and love a challenge...I married Yorkie after all...LOL  :lol:

Hi Lorns /Yorkie

Sorry to hear about  your back Yorkie , Ouch , sounds painful ,

I ride a Bmw 800 /7 had her (Doris) 30 od years ,as  Steve says ,not for the next few weeks , had op on me right shoulder !!!!!  bl*@~y  painful at the mo, l.o.l.

hope my trick works mate  -----------------------Frank----------------

Hi Frank...hope your shoulder settles down soon...try "arnica" a homeopathic tablet, you should get them in Boots or Holland & Barret type shops...it helps reduce the bruising inside as well as out...is actually used by the Medical Bods as a post op aid to reducing swelling and bruising...no known side effects as it is a herbal type of tablet...anyway it might help if you feel like giving it a go.

Yes the back was very painful but it is the numb foot and spasms in leg and foot that are the biggest problem for Yorkie...it's been 18 months now and still no help from medics...just more tablets...acupuncture worked very well but costs an arm and a leg...not available on NHS here so Yorkie had to stop going for it...side effects from tablets make him forgetful and dopey and spasms prevent him from driving or riding bike safely...at a bit of a dead end now.  :?

Am liking the sound of Doris though...bet she is a lovely old lady...take it easy with the shoulder and you will soon be firing her up and terrorising the neighbourhood again  ;) (apparently that's what all we bikers do...thugs and ruffians that we are  :lol:

Hi Lorn .s i've heard of Arnica before , and we have a health type shop uptown, so I am on me way up right now , thanks ,got to b worth a try . :)  :)

expense is a big problem , with that sort of thing I had acupuncture for R. S. I. and it worked, but as you say far to expensive !!!

All the best------------- -Frank-------------

Hi Lorn.    

Spend some of that money you have on a mini lathe and make your own, get another string to those excellent talents you have. ;)

Roly.

Money...what money?...Don't you be spreading such scurrilous rumours Roly...I'm a Scot...It's my duty to uphold the reputation of meanness and penny pinching attributed to the Scots...and I married a Yorkshire man who has extremely deep pockets too...Scrooge was a pushover by comparison...lol

Hope all is well and good in your neck of the woods Roly...good to see you :)

Lorn x

Money...what money?...Don't you be spreading such scurrilous rumours Roly...I'm a Scot...It's my duty to uphold the reputation of meanness and penny pinching attributed to the Scots...and I married a Yorkshire man who has extremely deep pockets too...Scrooge was a pushover by comparison...lol

Hope all is well and good in your neck of the woods Roly...good to see you :)

Lorn x

HAA HAA Lorn great to see you haven't lost you sense of humour, everything is fine down south and as for wheels the last time I bought them it was on Ebay and anything up to an 1" it's a broom handle and cut them off.

Anyway you look after yourself it's nice to see back in action.

Roly