Great News

thumb_010~3.JPG

I actually got some great news for the time that I can get back in the shop, whish as GOT to be ASAP. I got a phone call yesterday about a Last Supper portrait I sold about a week ago. I have an order placed now for two more than what I have cut. That means I think I need to cut at least three, since I still have one promised to my wife to hang in our house.

Thanks for all the kind words. Hurting like hell, I got in the shop today and built the frames for the portraits. Also, I got a private message from another SSV member wanting to know where to get the pattern for that portrait. If any of you want to cut this, the pattern can be purchased at Wildwood Designs for $12.95 plus shipping. Here's a direct link to the pattern

http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/prodinfo ... 38&dept=54

but be sure to check out all of Wildwood Designs patterns and plans. I get a lot of plans from them. I've never had any complaints about their patterns. They have a lot of the more advanced patterns. All my clock plans have come from them.

I'm going to need luck. Or prayer. I got the frames built the other day. I got my wood planed down, the backer boards stained. The reason I need the luck, hope and prayer though is I'm trying something I've never done before. I've done a lot of cutting, but never have gotten much into stack cutting. I have stack cut two pieces at a time for time consuming clocks before, but my portraits are usually done one at a time. Well, money is tight and lately, my shop time is even tighter, so I'm going for bust. I'm stack cutting three of these this time. At least I'm gonna try. Let's hope they turn out allright. I figure the worst I can do is mess up and only be able to use the top cutting. If that happens, the frames are built, so I'd just have to cut two more. I'll keep you posted.

Well, good luck, but I don't think you'll need it. As long as your drill bit and saw blade are perpendicular to the table you shouldn't have any problems. Of course if something does go wrong you end up with three times as much designer firewood, but, the amount of time you save cutting three at once makes it worth the risk.

Barry

I've been neglecting it, but I have been wanting to try this. It would greatly improve productivity. Now if I could just figure out a way to cut my frame making time by three.

Greasemonkeyredneck,

When stack cutting, I always cut 4 to 5 pieces at a time. I find that by doing this, if the project has a high level of detail, then if something happens to either the top or bottom piece, then I will usually have 3 to 4 pieces which have stayed intack. I use 1/8" oak vaneer ply for the majority of my portrait cuttings. The stack prep is very important. I will clamp one edge of the stack together to remove any gaps and use enough tape to securely hold the stack together. I will then move onto the next edge and so on till it is properly secured. Having the drill bit as mentioned perfectly verticle as well is very important. The best part about stack cutting is the results of the duplication.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Ron

The stack cutting was a success. I finished framing the last of them last night around midnight. I did have a little trouble in the beginning concerning blades. I will be posting a few questions on that in another post shortly. Other than that, I was happy with the results. Even with careful studying, I can't tell each one wasn't cut individually. I will definately be stack cutting more in the future.

Glad to hear the stack cutting was a success. I discovered very quickly that if I'm just cutting for me, cutting one piece at a time is fine, but if I want to give as gifts or sell, it was just not practical to produce a 300 or more cut product one at a time, way too time consuming.

I did a custom portrait of a newlywed couple. They wanted three cuttings, one for them, and each set of parents. I charged them $150 for all three framed. It took me three hours to cut the order (actual saw running time). I would not have been able to justify the cost of cutting had I done it individually.

Barry

I finally got around to taking some more photos this morning. I wanted to post this one to show the difference that the spray painting has made. I used to say I hated paint, but if you'll look at the detail in this photos, I think the more uniform color has just made a world of difference.

thumb_024~0.JPG