john shankel

john shankel

hi i am oringaly from baltimore md. moved to a little town called zephyrhills fl. in the tampa bay area , started scroll sawing abought 2 years ago, my son john jr passed away so i was in need of a hobby always loved to work with wood so i pulled out my old scroll saw from when i was a boy and started to cut things to keep my mind ocupied and hands busy,,not long after i bought a ryioby for 90 bucks the tenshion broke got another free same thing , saw a add for excalibur for 100.00 bucks worked great for abought 6 months and one of arms broke only to find out it was so old they quit making parts for it , i use dewalt 788 , its ok but cant do fret work to much back and forth motion of the blade,, wife is tight with the funds would love a new ex. so any way that is my story...

Hey John. So sorry to hear about John Jr. I can't imagine how much of an impact that must be. You're so right about the Excalibur - real quality. I'll take his opportunity to welcome you (before all the others LOL.) Please make yourself at home - have a stroll around the village and I'm sure you'll bump into quite a few (interesting) and friendly characters...but steer clear of Roly and Rob Roy LOL!

If you have any questions, just ask any of us.

Kindest Regards,

Nick. (East Cosst UK)

Edited by Nick@tinkers-cove

John, welcome!

Check this out for a fix for your saw

Larry

it’s an easy fix. just go the “reviews†section ,click on DEwalt 788 tune-up
,go to the article near the bottom of the page titled:Front to back blade movement fix; DW 788 blade forward travel

http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Good day to you John. Sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your son. Take a wander round the village as there's lots to see. So a BIG welcome from me, Roy, from Scotland. Any problems, you only need to ask and you'll be inundated with replies. We have a few "Rascals" on the forum who shall remain nameless for the time being. You'll get to know them soon. In the meantime John, come in and make a whole pile of sawdust and most importantly,  ENJOY  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Rob Roy.

you bit off more than you can chew finding the village here.Everything and i mean everything you could ever want to know about scrolling or machine repairs is here for the asking.Also click on everything you can find on the home page.you will be amazed at what is in here.Your lose is heart felt .Be sure and check in often to see what you missed.Break the ice everyday and stop in the coffee shop to say hello.Enjoy and welcome to the village ,you've found a home here!

Welcome John to this world wide family of scrollers. We all are glad that you have found us and hope that you check in often so that we can get to know you and you can do likewise with us. Many of the people here have the DeWalt saw that you are having problems with and we (me included ) have no problem cutting intriquet fret work with them. I hope you check out the link given to you to help you solve your problem. Your saw is very capable of dong whatever you might expect it to do. If you can not figure it out then start sharing what you are doing and someone will be able to get you on track

I too am very sorry to hear about your tragic loss. we lost  a 10 year  old granddaughter 12 years ago and we still grieve her passing. I know it is terribly difficult for you and your family. Just know the people here are sincerely saddened to hear your story.

Dick

heppnerguy

G'day John, welcome to the Village.  I'm Marg from Australia.  My sincerest condolences on the sad loss of your son, I know it is something you will never get over but I hope we at the Village will at least make it easier for you.  Everyone else has said everything else so jump in and have a look around and please make comments any time you want.

Marg :cool:

Welcome John to this world wide family of scrollers. We all are glad that you have found us and hope that you check in often so that we can get to know you and you can do likewise with us. Many of the people here have the DeWalt saw that you are having problems with and we (me included ) have no problem cutting intriquet fret work with them. I hope you check out the link given to you to help you solve your problem. Your saw is very capable of dong whatever you might expect it to do. If you can not figure it out then start sharing what you are doing and someone will be able to get you on track

I too am very sorry to hear about your tragic loss. we lost  a 10 year  old granddaughter 12 years ago and we still grieve her passing. I know it is terribly difficult for you and your family. Just know the people here are sincerely saddened to hear your story.

Dick

heppnerguy

I can't imagine how you must feel Dick - I have 3 sons between 6 - 14yrs and really can't comprehend what It'd be like to lose any of them. I'm so sorry.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

saw a add for excalibur for 100.00 bucks worked great for abought 6 months and one of arms broke only to find out it was so old they quit making parts for it , i use dewalt 788 , its ok but cant do fret work to much back and forth motion of the blade

As a father of 5 and a grandfather of 5 it would be devastating to lose one of my kids. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

As far as the scroll saws you have 2 good machines. The Dewalt should be able to cut anything you want after these guys help you get it tuned up and running correctly. As far as the Excalibur goes if you really want to get it back up and running it would probably be worth it to take the broken pieces to a local machine shop and have them reverse engineer and build the parts to get it running if you still have the saw and the broken parts.

Good luck with your ventures and I think I speak for all of us when I say I hope to see you and many of your projects around the village as times goes on.

Welcome John. Sorry about your son, I too lost a son and I still think about him every day and that was 20 years ago. Things get better but it is a slow process . You never completely heal from a loss of a child. Good luck and keep on scrolling.

IKE