Celtic pendant/ wind battered tree

WayneG

Rescued 40, 3 foot, 3 inch by 3/4 inch Japanese cherry hardwood flooring today. 95% of my materials are free but at times I make a buy like this when the wood is hard to get or expensive. About 6o sq feet from a re- use it store. 20$.

First item i made was this celtic pendant that absolutely had gorgeous colours. I gotto two out of the cut. The wood is beautiful. Can't wait to see what I am going to make...

Tonight I cut this wind battered tree from this same Japanese cherry, it's hard wood for sure. Wood database doors not have it listed though, so I can't find the janka hardness. This tree is gonna look wild when it's done I think as the collars are gonna pop with tung oil

IMG_20170917_144140.jpg

IMG_20170917_144805.jpg

IMG_20170917_213430.jpg

IMG_20170917_204202.jpg

IMG_20170918_203415.jpg

Edited by WayneG

23 hours ago, WayneG said:

Rescued 40, 3 foot, 3 inch by 3/4 inch Japanese cherry hardwood flooring today. 95% of my materials are free but at times I make a buy like this when the wood is hard to get or expensive. About 6o sq feet from a re- use it store. 20$.

First item i made was this celtic pendant that absolutely had gorgeous colours. I gotto two out of the cut. The wood is beautiful. Can't wait to see what I am going to make...

IMG_20170917_144140.jpg

IMG_20170917_144805.jpg

IMG_20170917_213430.jpg

IMG_20170917_204202.jpg

Lucky you to find a great find as this!

On 9/19/2017 at 7:37 AM, Scrappile said:

Nice work.  I am anxious to see the tree when complete, I think it is going to be beautiful.  I think may I will visit our local "Habitat for Humanity"  store and see if they have some flooring or other wood. 

Yes you should. Over the past year or so I have found Japanse cherry, bulletwood (massarnduba), Sapelle, Tigerwood, Santos Mahogany, Wenge, Ipe, Merbau, Acacia and Meranti in addition to more common domestic woods.

It is hit or miss but there are two locations close by so I make it part of my weekend routine, while there I also find a pile of other stuff I need at bottom dollar prices. One place knows me quite well and gives me crazy low prices when something is not marked as they know I repurpose it into art/jewellery.