Pegas Upgrade for Excalibur/Seyco/or any EX Clone

hotshot

So, got a little shock when I opened up the latest SSW&C.  Evidently, Pegas just released what they call an "Overhaul" to the Excalibur (and Clones) scroll saws. I wouldn't call it an overhaul, but it is a complete replacement for the top and bottom clamp mechanism.  For those that are very experience with the EX, you know there is some room for improvement here.  Seyco has a milder enhancement also.   The new Pegas Clamp replacement  is supposed to be 40% lighter for less vibration, easier to use, and etc.  Here is a peek:

Pegas_Clamp_1.thumb.jpg.68b17d441023c77c8e3fac05f20181c0.jpg

Pegas_Clamp_2.jpg.8990a0666fb3b7d5d9941d43de19d9a0.jpg

Here is a better peek from a Vendor here:  https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodworking-metalworking/saws/mitre-saws-saw-guides/704769/pegas-saw-blade-holder-complete-set

So, to be clear, this would work for EX, clones (Axminster, Carbatec, Pegas, King, and Excelsior) and Seyco.

Anyway, I'm excited.  The product doesn't show up on the Pegas web site yet, but at least this one vendor has it, and the SSWC ad says it is coming in "January 2018"

Edited by hotshot

Interesting, I didn't realize there is anything wrong with the current clamps.  other than they are made of aluminum and it looks like the Pegas ones are also.  Probably will hear more about them as time goes on.  Anyone in US interested that is a little over $95 plus shipping.  I do not know how that compares with the original clamps. 

20 minutes ago, Scrolling Steve said:

I will look at this closely when it comes out....I love my (going on 5 yr old EX21) but have replaced the upper blade clamp twice and the lower once....Interesting!

Replaced my lower clamp once.  But from time to time, that upper tension lever flies up, so I know I'm getting close to having to replace that.  But, beyond that, I like new toys, and there are not a lot of third part options for upgrading the EX, so this is pretty unusual.

-----Randy

On 1/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, Scrappile said:

Interesting, I didn't realize there is anything wrong with the current clamps.  other than they are made of aluminum and it looks like the Pegas ones are also.  Probably will hear more about them as time goes on.  Anyone in US interested that is a little over $95 plus shipping.  I do not know how that compares with the original clamps. 

I love the original clamps, but there are some issues with wear on that upper lever.  Seyco themselves offered a "modification" to help with that issue.  For several years,  Pegas has been selling their own branded version of the EX clone under their own name, so,  I'm sure they were getting support calls on some of these issues, and decided to sell a modification to help resolve it.  I sent Seyco a message to see if they are going to be selling this mod.

p.s.  I did hear back from Seyco and they haven't gotten their hands on one of these for evaluation yet.

Edited by hotshot

4 hours ago, hotshot said:

So, got a little shock when I opened up the latest SSW&C.  Evidently, Pegas just released what they call an "Overhaul" to the Excalibur (and Clones) scroll saws. I wouldn't call it an overhaul, but it is a complete replacement for the top and bottom clamp mechanism.  For those that are very experience with the EX, you know there is some room for improvement here.  Seyco has a milder enhancement also.   The new Pegas Clamp replacement  is supposed to be 40% lighter for less vibration, easier to use, and etc.  Here is a peek:

Pegas_Clamp_1.thumb.jpg.68b17d441023c77c8e3fac05f20181c0.jpg

Pegas_Clamp_2.jpg.8990a0666fb3b7d5d9941d43de19d9a0.jpg

Here is a better peek from a Vendor here:  https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodworking-metalworking/saws/mitre-saws-saw-guides/704769/pegas-saw-blade-holder-complete-set

So, to be clear, this would work for EX, clones (Axminster, Carbatec, Pegas, King, and Excelsior) and Seyco.

Anyway, I'm excited.  The product doesn't show up on the Pegas web site yet, but at least this one vendor has it, and the SSWC ad says it is coming in "January 2018"

Darn. I just bought the current upper clamp assembly from Seyco

Sam

9 hours ago, hotshot said:

Replaced my lower clamp once.  But from time to time, that upper tension lever flies up, so I know I'm getting close to having to replace that.  But, beyond that, I like new toys, and there are not a lot of third part options for upgrading the EX, so this is pretty unusual.

-----Randy

Hello Randy, there's an easy fix to the lever popping up, remove it and sand the corner of it. It originally has an angle on the back bottom side, use a GOOD fine file to do this. I've done it with my clamp and it works perfect. What causes the lever to flip, is from flipping it so much to use it. But for every time you flip the lever, you wear a miniscule amount of the lever. After so long the angle on the lever gets rounded just a tiny bit, but it's still enough to cause the lever to flip. You can make your own levers if you want, all you need is the material to make it out of.

Len

I read here some have had to replace their clamps on the Ex type saws.  I'm curious as to why.  What is going that you have to replace the whole clamp?  Stripped threads would be my guess.  I saw a suggestion on the SS&W forum of putting in helicoils.  This suggestion was made by Rolf.  Might be worth while.  You would have to determine the correct size/thread needed. 

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I read here some have had to replace their clamps on the Ex type saws.  I'm curious as to why.  What is going that you have to replace the whole clamp?  Stripped threads would be my guess.  I saw a suggestion on the SS&W forum of putting in helicoils.  This suggestion was made by Rolf.  Might be worth while.  You would have to determine the correct size/thread needed. 

If you over tighten the bottom clamp sometimes it will spread. Mine is 7 years old with original clamp on bottom. 

Color me confused.  How is this an "upgrade"?

I think of an upgrade as making something better.  All I see here is the same old thing, redesigned smaller.  The smaller redesign makes it cheaper to make I guess.

Same plastic lever

Only thing I see is that it looks like the blade clamp jaws actually clamp the blade - that will not induce stress in the material leading to eventual fatigue?

Site says,

less vibration - What has a properly mounted blade clamp to do with vibration?

more working comfort - huh?

Less mechanical stress - on what?  Same mounting bolts  as far as I see

Edited by JimErn
thought about a couple of other things

17 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

My DeWalt is 8 years old and never have replaced the clamps.. and that is 8 years of Allot of cutting.. as I'm not a casual scroll sawer. Replaced the thumb screws once...mainly because I tried sanding them and got them out of wack with a angle instead of being square.. 

You know the tip of that thumb screw is a replaceable insert.  You can get the insert from Seyco or e-replacement. Dewalt, some Delta saws, and the Ex type saws use the same thumb screw and insert.

22 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

You know the tip of that thumb screw is a replaceable insert.  You can get the insert from Seyco or e-replacement. Dewalt, some Delta saws, and the Ex type saws use the same thumb screw and insert.

Yeah I bought the replacement from Seyco.. Just the inserts.. so I'm still using the same thumb screws themselves.. just the ends was replaced.. 

2 hours ago, JimErn said:

Color me confused.  How is this an "upgrade"?

I think of an upgrade as making something better.  All I see here is the same old thing, redesigned smaller.  The smaller redesign makes it cheaper to make I guess.

Same plastic lever

Only thing I see is that it looks like the blade clamp jaws actually clamp the blade - that will not induce stress in the material leading to eventual fatigue?

Site says,

less vibration - What has a properly mounted blade clamp to do with vibration?

more working comfort - huh?

Less mechanical stress - on what?  Same mounting bolts  as far as I see

I have very limited experience with the EX saws.. but since I bought my new one I've only used it to cut out an ornament.. The only upgrade I could see that could use improvement is the set thumb screws could be positioned in a different spot.. as there is not stop to put the blade up against at the back of the clamp like most any other saw I've used has.. Maybe I don't have my saw set up right yet as it's still new to me.. but inserting a blade and trying to position the blade where the clamp will actually hit it is a pain in the butt.. if I can't get used to that then someone might get a good deal on a new ex21 LOL

I'm with Tomsteve on this.  I don't understand why yours would be different.

5 minutes ago, tomsteve said:

kevin, are you referring to the clamps on the EX? if so, maybe im not understanding or maybe im doing it wrong, but i just push the blade all the way back in the clamp and clamp. i havent really noticed any problems doing it that way.

1 hour ago, tomsteve said:

kevin, are you referring to the clamps on the EX? if so, maybe im not understanding or maybe im doing it wrong, but i just push the blade all the way back in the clamp and clamp. i havent really noticed any problems doing it that way.

Yeah, My EX21 I just bought a couple month ago.. If I push the blade all the way to the back of the upper clamp.. the thumb screw misses the blade.. so I have to fiddle with it to get it in a position where it will actually clamp the blade.. Probably some sort of adjustment, I don't know.. I been too busy with orders etc.. and too cold that I haven't even messed with it.. Figured I'd mess with it after the new year.. however between the cold and still quite busy with orders.. maybe January sales isn't going to slow down  all that much this year..

Even on the smallest of the Jewelers blades, I just push the blade to the back of the clamp.  I think you are doing something wrong.  Try lowering the arm a little, checking to see if the set screw is just barely "proud".  When you get a feel for it, you can feel if the blade is all the way back, or if you have pushed the blade against the set screw or the clamp screw.  The process of placing the blade feels that same as it does for my 788.

Edited by hotshot

16 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Even on the smallest of the Jewelers blades, I just push the blade to the back of the clamp.  I think you are doing something wrong.  Try lowering the arm a little, checking to see if the set screw is just barely "proud".  When you get a feel for it, you can feel if the blade is all the way back, or if you have pushed the blade against the set screw or the clamp screw.  The process of placing the blade feels that same as it does for my 788.

I messed around with it this afternoon.. and what is happening is.. I'm hitting the set screw thinking I have the blade all the way back but it's not.. Figured it was user error.. Like I said.. I've only cut the couple ornaments out and that was it..

I need to get this thing set up and use it.. 

Dang site is acting up and I can not get another good look, but I got to thinking

It looks (looked) like the blade tightening screw is toward the front and the jaws actually clamp the blade, instead of the tightening screw clamping the blade as it is done now.

That means the blade MUST be inserted from the bottom only, straight up into the clamp.  Top feeders will not care, this is a deal breaker though for bottom feeders I would expect, it would be for me anyway.

5 hours ago, JimErn said:

Dang site is acting up and I can not get another good look, but I got to thinking

It looks (looked) like the blade tightening screw is toward the front and the jaws actually clamp the blade, instead of the tightening screw clamping the blade as it is done now.

That means the blade MUST be inserted from the bottom only, straight up into the clamp.  Top feeders will not care, this is a deal breaker though for bottom feeders I would expect, it would be for me anyway.

Not totally sure how that works, but if you are correct, then yes it would be a deal breaker for  me also.  Knock on wood, but I never had a problem with my Ex clamps, I did replace the tension lever once, but it is a wear out item anyway.  This clamp would have to really prove itself as an upgrade, for me to spend over $100 on it, (cost plus shipping).  Maybe it is better, but I want to get more input from users.