Dremel Rotary Workstation

jbrowning

I was having a hard time drilling pilot holes but didn't have the funds to get a drill press. I already had a Dremel 280 from years again and went today to Lowes and picked up the Dremel Rotary Workstation. I think it is working great for what it is. I drilled pilot holes in 1/8" to 1/2" birch with no problems at all. This is pretty great to me. Like I said, it isn't for hard words of anything over 1/2" but since 1/2" is the thickest boards I have been working with on the scroll saw. Lowe had it online and in store for $38.23.

Thanks

Jim

I use the dremel workstation, I have it set up right next to my saw so I don't have to get out of my chair to drill tiny holes. For larger holes and other usages, I have a regular drill press. And I use my lower-powered dremel in the workstation and my newer, more powerful dremel for detail sanding. It's funny how you start out with just a scroll saw and next thing you know, not only do you have every other tool under the sun, but more than one version of some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a black and decker rotary tool, like a Dremel, mounted in a Hobby pro drill press accessary.  I have it tilted to 6° from ninety, for doing inlay work.

A friend of mine is looking for a plunge router type accessary for his Dremel but one that will drill a hole at an angle other than 90°.  Like 6° off of ninety.  Does anyone know of one?

I was having a hard time drilling pilot holes but didn't have the funds to get a drill press. I already had a Dremel 280 from years again and went today to Lowes and picked up the Dremel Rotary Workstation. I think it is working great for what it is. I drilled pilot holes in 1/8" to 1/2" birch with no problems at all. This is pretty great to me. Like I said, it isn't for hard words of anything over 1/2" but since 1/2" is the thickest boards I have been working with on the scroll saw. Lowe had it online and in store for $38.23.

Thanks

Jim

Now there's a tool i don't have.A dremil work station.I didn't know they made one.I have just about everything they make.

Jim Finn -

I have a black and decker rotary tool, like a Dremel, mounted in a Hobby pro drill press accessary.  I have it tilted to 6° from ninety, for doing inlay work.

A friend of mine is looking for a plunge router type accessary for his Dremel but one that will drill a hole at an angle other than 90°.  Like 6° off of ninety.  Does anyone know of one?

Jim, 

Just a thought, but would it be possible to mount a wood plate cut into a wedge at the desired angle your friend wants. The wedge plate mounted to the plunge router should result in the angled holes he is looking to drill. Seems like this migt be an answer to your friends problem. Let me know - I might want to try it also!!

Mike

Jim Finn -

Jim, 

Just a thought, but would it be possible to mount a wood plate cut into a wedge at the desired angle your friend wants. The wedge plate mounted to the plunge router should result in the angled holes he is looking to drill. Seems like this migt be an answer to your friends problem. Let me know - I might want to try it also!!

Mike

Before I thought to use the rig I now use, I made a little ramp to hold the wood at the desired angle and just tried to drill straight down with a hand held drill.  So, yes ,your idea should work also.