SSV is ALIVE!

Travis

OMG, that was painful. Basically what happened, someone or a group of someones pinged SSV's front page over and over. What that does is causes a lot of CPU resources to be consumed at one time. If done to excess, it will crash the server. So my hosting company locked the website. As you all know, they weren't all that responsive to my support ticket. I eventually got them on the phone. I ended up upgrading the server package, so hopefully we won't run into this problem any longer. Once the new server was set up, the system had to reset and needed to be tested, which also took a long time.

I had to optimize the front page and strip it down. I'm not an engineer, so a lot of this stuff is way over my head. But I got something to work enough to meet their standards.  I'll be redesigning the front page in the next few weeks.

If this happens again, the next solution is for SSV to move to a dedicated server. It sounds like a good idea, except the cost of the server would increase my operating expense by about 800%. I rely on Google Ads and premium memberships to pay for the site. Unfortunately, I've seen the Google Ad money dwindle quite substantially over the last year or so. I think it's mostly due to AdBlocker, which really hurt little sites like SSV. So I certainly couldn't afford an 800% increase. So let's hope this solution does the trick.

Ugg.  Technology sucks.  But at least we're back online and can talk about making sawdust again.   :)

On a side note, did you know SSV has a Facebook page?  This is a fun place to see new projects and patterns.  It is also a great place to find the latest news on SSV.  I tried to keep everybody up to date on the status of SSV there when our system was down.  So if you're looking for the latest news, be sure to Like our page at:  https://www.facebook.com/scrollsawvillage

Thanks Travis.  You d Man.  I noticed (after reading your post here) my Ad blocker was turned back on for Scrollsaw Village.  I had it disabled here before the crash.  Those that us an Ad blocker may want to check it to ensure it didn't get turned back on for Scrollsaw Village.

Good to see the site back up and running.  What you described sounds like a DDOS attack which is often used to bring down major websites and networks maliciously.  I can't imagine anyone doing it on purpose to SSV, or at least I hope not.  Whatever the case I'm glad to see it back up!

Yah, I suspect that too, or maybe a bot.  The hosting company didn't think it was a DOS attack, but I have my suspicions.  I've had the same front page for several years and it didn't seem to cause any issue.  The front page does have a lot of PHP calls, so if that was hit over and over, it would cause issues.  I'm going to redesign the front page.  It won't be as dynamic, but would be a great resource for new scrollers to SSV.

I've also turned on a throttle.  So if you get a message that says "Scroll Saw Village is busy, try again later." or something to that effect, let me know.  It shouldn't affect anybody, unless SSV is under attack or an overzealous bot gets onto SSV.

I just got back from a week in Ariizona, helping to  move my son and daughter. Yesterday was the first time I was able to get on the computer and of course, SSV was my first shot. WHAT THE HECK, I thought. I went to the Ipad to see if it was just my computer and I found the same thing. My thought was, "what did I do wrong that got me kicked off my favorite web site?"  I thought the other option was that you closed your site. I really did not want to see that happen. It would be. 'loosing an  entire family" for many of us. sorry for the tough and time labor Travis had to go through for all of us, but really glad we have him and his dedication and talents to keep us all in touch with one another.

It is a great day, seeing SSV back on line

Dick

heppnerguy

OMG, that was painful. Basically what happened, someone or a group of someones pinged SSV's front page over and over. What that does is causes a lot of CPU resources to be consumed at one time. If done to excess, it will crash the server. So my hosting company locked the website. As you all know, they weren't all that responsive to my support ticket. I eventually got them on the phone. I ended up upgrading the server package, so hopefully we won't run into this problem any longer. Once the new server was set up, the system had to reset and needed to be tested, which also took a long time.

I had to optimize the front page and strip it down. I'm not an engineer, so a lot of this stuff is way over my head. But I got something to work enough to meet their standards.  I'll be redesigning the front page in the next few weeks.

If this happens again, the next solution is for SSV to move to a dedicated server. It sounds like a good idea, except the cost of the server would increase my operating expense by about 800%. I rely on Google Ads and premium memberships to pay for the site. Unfortunately, I've seen the Google Ad money dwindle quite substantially over the last year or so. I think it's mostly due to AdBlocker, which really hurt little sites like SSV. So I certainly couldn't afford an 800% increase. So let's hope this solution does the trick.

Ugg.  Technology sucks.  But at least we're back online and can talk about making sawdust again.   :)

On a side note, did you know SSV has a Facebook page?  This is a fun place to see new projects and patterns.  It is also a great place to find the latest news on SSV.  I tried to keep everybody up to date on the status of SSV there when our system was down.  So if you're looking for the latest news, be sure to Like our page at:  https://www.facebook.com/scrollsawvillage

As usual our lead bottle washer came to the rescue.Thank you sir !