Where did I put my book mark patterns???

hawkeye10

Here are some of the patterns I have. I hope this helps. 

To make the bookmark blanks, I cut a block of wood so one face is about 1.5" by 6". Then I use a bandsaw with a 1/4" , 14tpi blade to slice the blanks to about 1/16" thin. Then to the belt sander they go. I made a jig to hold them. I start with 40 grit to get the bandsaw marks off then sand to 120 grit. This generally takes them to 1/32". After cutting on the scroll saw I hand sand to 320. Sometimes I add two coats of poly sometimes I leave them with no finish. It depends on my mood.

Bookmarks 1.pdf

Bookmarks2.pdf

Bookmarks3.pdf

Don, I have made some in the past, I used 1/16" plywood. I'm sorry, I don't have any patterns I can share. I used to buy thin plywood at Micheal's, but then I started making my own. I have 9 different types of veneer, it makes for a nice variety. I gave up on making them, they were not good sellers. And for the amount of work and time it took to get them ready to sell, was ridiculous. For me, there just was no money in making them.

Len

If you haven't figured it out yet getting old is for the birds.   :grr:  I had some book marks saved and now I can't find them. If you have or know where I can get some patterns I would appreciate it. 

I would think they should be a 1/16" thick and I need to know if you are milling the lumber or buying it? 

i don't see any money to be made from them either but they are a nice gift.

Here are some of the patterns I have. I hope this helps. 

To make the bookmark blanks, I cut a block of wood so one face is about 1.5" by 6". Then I use a bandsaw with a 1/4" , 14tpi blade to slice the blanks to about 1/16" thin. Then to the belt sander they go. I made a jig to hold them. I start with 40 grit to get the bandsaw marks off then sand to 120 grit. This generally takes them to 1/32". After cutting on the scroll saw I hand sand to 320. Sometimes I add two coats of poly sometimes I leave them with no finish. It depends on my mood.

Thanks Dan for your help and patterns. I appreciate it very much. These will make great gifts for family and friends "" I hope "".

i don't see any money to be made from them either but they are a nice gift.

The secret is in the process. I stack cut 10 at a time. It takes about 15 minutes to cut one stack. The plywood blanks sell for $2.50. With sanding and finishing I have a total of 30 minutes for 10 blanks. That's $25 for 30 minutes work. The larges order I had was for 130. The hardwoods are a different beast because I mill those. It takes about twice as long but they sell for $4.50 each.

I use 1/32 plywood for my bookmarks. Like Dan said stack them, As far as milling thin wood goes a few years ago I bought a Supermax 1938 drum sander, I have sanded as thin as 1mm (~.040). It has become a major workhorse in the shop. I used to sand each of my 1/16 ornament blanks one at a time on my sandflee I now cut a strip of the ply and run it through the Supermax with 220 grit.  Time is my most lacking commodity so anything I can do to save it for the fun parts like cutting is priceless to me. And no I am not wealthy all of my tools were paid for by my scroll saw.