Cub Scout presentation

Bill WIlson

My grandson is a Cub Scout and I've been invited to do a presentation on scrolling for his troop.  I did something similar for his sister's Brownie troop a couple years ago, but I was only allotted about 10 minutes of time, so I kept it very brief and only described what a scroll saw was and showed them a few projects I had made.  For the Cub Scout meeting, I've been given free reign to use as much of the meeting time as I wanted, so I need to come up with some more material.

Now I can talk all day about scrolling techniques, history, patterns, blades, etc, but I'm sure I would bore those poor lads to death if I went into too much detail, so I have to think about what would be of interest to a 7, 8 or 9 year old boy.  I'll take my saw to do a real time demonstration of how it works and I'll take several examples of finished projects, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else would hold their attention.  I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has worked with boys that age before.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When I spent some time with a nephew in my shop, it was about this time of year.  He wanted to make something for his Mom for Mother's Day.  I helped him make a simple Mother's day plaque, I think the pattern came from Steve Good said "World's Greatest Mom".  Might show them something similar just to give them ideas for mother's day.   I'd take samples of simple to more difficult to display.  Maybe they will go home and talk Dad into getting a scroll saw....

Bill

I would think that putting an emphasis on the control and satisfaction would be a decent a point. Also how it could relate to other wood working types, building a bird house etc. Keeping things simple for young minds and interest levels. Happy to hear you are doing this. Good luck and let us know how it goes please.

Pinewood derby is a big thing with scouts.  So for a good demonstration, you can show how to cut out a pinewood derby car and how you glue the pattern to the top and side to get your shape.  You can pick up a Pinewood derby car at a scout store, Lowes, Michaels, and many hobby shops for less than $10.  Technically, cub scouts are not allowed to use power tools.  But once they get into Boy Scouts, I think it's allowed.  But I helped my son and 3 other scouts cut out their cars about 3 weeks ago.  They all came into the shop.  Here's what I showed them:

• The basics of how a scroll saw works
    • I turned it on to show what it does and how much noise it makes.
    • Kids can be scared of loud noises.
  • Safety (goggles, dust mask, small first aid kit)
    • Lots of people are scared of power tools.  I told them that it's the safest power tool in the shop.  It can cut your finger, but won't cut it off.  
  • How to hold the work piece and how fast it goes.
    • Let the blade do the cutting.
    • When cutting a pinewood derby car, it's very slow due to the thickness
    • What to do when the blade grabs and bounces the workpiece (I have them pull back their hands and turn off the saw.  It can be scary...shoot, it scares me sometimes too)
    • At the end of the cut, I let them know the blade & workpiece might lunge a bit at the end of the cut as it exits.  New scrollers tend to put too much pressure on it, so when this happens and I want them to be ready it.
  • Explain blade drift and going straight into the blade doesn't mean it cuts straight.
  • How to gradually sneak back up to your line if you get off the line to avoid crazy waves in the cutting.

My son does pretty well with the scroll saw, but I stand to the side and help the scouts guide the workpiece to try to stay on the line.  Usually, the cut is a bit squirrley, but I had a spindle sander that I helped them finesse the shapes.  Since you're doing a demonstration for the boys, you probably won't have the boys work the saw.  Once you have it cut out, quickly tap the tires into the derby car.  It's just a nail that goes into the slot.

If the kids want to try it (ask the Pack leader first.  Technically, cub scouts are not allowed to use power tools for liability reasons), maybe just have them cut a squiggle on some BB ply.  Maybe attach a picture to it, so by the time each boy gets a try, you have a puzzle.

If you want something to give the boys, you can cut out their pack number and make it into a neckerchief slide.  An easy way is 1/4" bb ply and use a PVC pipe cut into rings for the slide part.  Then hotglue the ring to the back of the pack number.

545.png

Thanks guys.  Lots of good input.

I considered the Pinewood Derby thing.  His pack already had their race a few weeks ago (grandson took 3rd :thumbs: ) However, given the age and the fact that they are not permitted to use power tools, I think I'll look into something else.  I think the timing will work out that this will take place in late April or early May, so a Mother's Day themed item would probably go over well.  Whatever I go with, I'll make one as a demonstration, then have enough already cut to give each boy one.  They can take them home and color/paint them.

i| did the same for a group of girls at a art camp a couple of summers ago and I had a few easy pattern (hug as a keychain) that I had stack cut and samples on the side so every one got a hug.

I then did a 3d bird and everyone amazed when it popped out from the middle.  Had to do a couple

Don

i| did the same for a group of girls at a art camp a couple of summers ago and I had a few easy pattern (hug as a keychain) that I had stack cut and samples on the side so every one got a hug.

I then did a 3d bird and everyone amazed when it popped out from the middle.  Had to do a couple

Don

I too am amazed at doing mini bird houses and did 200 of them and the thrill never left cracking it apart for a beautiful bird house inside.

The first time i saw a scroll saw in operation, it was something similar to what you are talking about. The young man that was giving the demo free hand cut simple, small animals and gave them to the ones in his audience that wanted them. He also cut little houses where he tilted the table and then the house could protrude and stand out in an 3D likeness. The people were amazed by those. I think the scouts are not going to be watching how to scroll saw as much as to be amazed at what you can do with the saw and let them have the pieces you cut to take home. Just my take on this.. Hope it gives you some fresh ideas.

Dick

heppnerguy