Your opinion ::::

ubgoofy2003

Just wanted to run this by a few of you & see what I should charge for this portrait that I'm in the process of doing for a friend ?  It will be done on a 12 x 12 in. BB ply 1/4 in. thick. I have only given a portrait to someone, but, never charged a price for one. Usually it's a portrait for my relatives or the kids.  I'm doing it  on request of a friend  & I don't want to charge too much.  Maybe  $ 100.00 & I will be making the frame for it also. What do you think?  Don't be bashful, I won't be offended. Thanks in advance for any help.  Take Care   P S  it isn't the greatest picture.post-22424-0-20567300-1405979863_thumb.jpg

Hi, Perk,

Pricing is always a difficult area but, I personally believe it really depends on the area you live in.

If I were to quote $100 for a portrait, even though it was a one of a kind, personal project, I wouldn't

get another request, yet alone any sales.

I also try to use grampa Paul's formula but, my price per hour isn't very high.

That being said, the best price is one that makes you and the customer both happy and brings

you more sales.

Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions.  I know an artist is his own worst critic.  My wife would not let me sell anything real cheap. She say's I should always receive the most for my talent.  I always feel I'm asking too much if I ask a high price for a piece of my work. I have kept track of my time on some of my works & the wood is hard to come by in my area. I have to send away for most wood that I work with. Sometimes I can pick up some oak at our box stores if I need it. It just isn't easy to find wood here in Yuma, Az.  Thanks again to all of you & I will post the portrait along with the photo when I finish with it.

Well, I finished the portrait & the frame too.  I used 1/4 in. B B ply & 1x2 oak for the frame. I did route a groove in the side & bottom for an added touch.  I also added some color to their face & arms, so they would not look quite so pale.  Didn't really want to add color to any of it, but, I think it needed just that touch. Thanks for looking & your earlier comments too.  Take Carepost-22424-0-30937900-1406758707_thumb.jpg

Perk, you did an exemplary job on this project, but, that's nothing new for you. I did not comment on your question about price earlier, but, now that it is finished I feel comfortable doing so. You stated that this is made for a friend, if that is the case it means that you will have to give the price you charge some consideration. Personally, I don't charge my friends as much as I do strangers, after all the person is a friend. For this beauty I would probably charge my friend $80.00, but, a stranger would have to pay $100.00. This is the way I do things, it's up to you to figure out what you think is a fair price for your area. Plus my price is based on how fast I do a project, and if I liked cutting the item, frustration has it's price.lol 

Len

P.S. The coloring you added to this portrait cutting, is a big part of what makes it look as good as it does. I imagine the people who will get it, will like that you can tell from the portrait itself that it is a cutting of Afro-Americans. I like that, usually when I see a portrait cutting, I see a white person. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone with my statement, I did not mean to do so, if I did, I was just trying to explain how I see things through my eyes.

Len

Thanks Len.  I will not charge her as much for this portrait, because she is a good friend. I think I should have included the portrait that I made the pattern from.  The couple have a deep tan & that is why I added the color.  Even if they were not, I would probably add some color because the ply was so white.  Without any other color in the portrait, it pronounces the color more. Thanks again & take care.

Perk,

I have to say that this portrait is a really nice one. You did a fabulous job on it, they will be really pleased, I am  sure. I occasionally try to do what I call, colorize, a cutting but my talents are not to wonderful The way you did this one it perfect. I probably would have have done the entire skin all the same and the effect would not have been very good. You have an eye and talent to just seem to know where and where not, to add the shading. I noticed a painted saw blade on the wall. Even though i can not see the painted blade very well, it tells me that you probably do some oil painting too so that experience has probably the answer as to why you do so well. Here is a little about my pricing. I do not charge friends for a personal request, most of the time, but if they are going to use my work for a gift, then I do charge them. In this case of the portrait, I would charge them, because of all the work involved, unless they were really  close friends, and then I would not charge them. I would just ask them to consider me when they are looking for gifts for other friends and family. But that is me and what I do. Your work is worth any price you want to put on it. After all, just buying an enlarged photo of this size would cost probably $30 and on a canvas upword to about $100 and no one has to have any talent to get a photo made like that. Once more, great piece

Dick

heppnerguy

Danny & Dick, you are just too kind.  I really like doing portraits & hopefully this one will get me some more requests. The picture was a good example of what I need for a clean cutting. I will put the picture used for the pattern & you can judge from that. Normally I don't like to post someones photograph on the forum, but, it will give a good prospective when looking at the cutting.  Thanks again everyone.post-22424-0-66530200-1406913623_thumb.jpg

post-22424-0-80166300-1407013991_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubgoofy2003