Hot Melt Glue question

dansnow

After the cutting and the sanding-sanding-sanding and finishing I have on occasion used hot melt glue as part of the assembly method. 

One of the main reasons I don't use it more often is because I find dealing with the threads that come off the tip of the glue gun a real pain in the kiester.  

Is there something I could do, or stop doing, or do differently that might help minimize these little suckers? I use a Cold Heat battery glue gun. It has two settings, low and high. I usually use the low setting as the battery lasts longer. 

Edited by dansnow

Angel Hair - Fine threads of adhesive caused by incomplete transfer of the adhesive mass

from applicator to substrate, followed by elongation of the connecting bridges.

May be caused by improper nozzle shutoff with a high viscosity adhesive.

Stringing - A defect in adhesive application characterized by hair–like fibers of adhesive

emanating from the trailing edge of the bead. Stringing may produce continuous fibers

attached to the nozzle. It is most often caused by the gun temperature being too cold.

Angel Hair - Fine threads of adhesive caused by incomplete transfer of the adhesive mass

from applicator to substrate, followed by elongation of the connecting bridges.

May be caused by improper nozzle shutoff with a high viscosity adhesive.

Stringing - A defect in adhesive application characterized by hair–like fibers of adhesive

emanating from the trailing edge of the bead. Stringing may produce continuous fibers

attached to the nozzle. It is most often caused by the gun temperature being too cold.

I wondered if the low setting might have something to do with it. I'll have to remember to try the high setting next time.  

Ike, I hear ya, but every once in a while I come across an application where it is useful.

After the cutting and the sanding-sanding-sanding and finishing I have on occasion used hot melt glue as part of the assembly method. 

One of the main reasons I don't use it more often is because I find dealing with the threads that come off the tip of the glue gun a real pain in the kiester.  

Is there something I could do, or stop doing, or do differently that might help minimize these little suckers? I use a Cold Heat battery glue gun. It has two settings, low and high. I usually use the low setting as the battery lasts longer. 

Hi Dan, since I have nothing better to do with my time,I did a search and Walmart sell NO STRINGS hot melt glue sticks. Hope this helps. Retirement does have some good points. :cool:  :cool:  :cool: .

This is a guess, so don't take my word for it.  You might want to experiment with it first.  But I bet a propane torch or heat gun would shrivel up those strings in no time.  I think just a quick pass, even before the wood or finish gets warm would do it.  I'd test it out first on some scrap.  It might work the opposite and fuse the strings to your work piece.  But might be worth the experiential. Let us know what you find out.

here I am living in la la land, I guess. I had no clue that anyone every used hot glue to assemble anything in scrolling. I have never even given it a thought as I have always found hot glue to be unpredictable for me..  I will now mess with it a little more and see what happens.

Dick

heppnerguy

My middle schoolers use hot glue a lot. it is useful for holding two pieces together when nailing or screwing. A little bit of hot glue and the pieces are sort of stuck, then put the nails or screws in place and you are good to go! 

They do make wood glue hot glue sticks, I haven't played with them much, but they are supposed to have properties closer to wood glue and might be stronger. That is the down side to hot glue, it doesn't have the penetrating strength of some of the other glues.

Hey Rob, I might not be able to come in here as often as I would like to, but don't leave me out of this, I've worked hard for my "moron" status !!!   :oops:

Yo're top of the list Keith. No one has worked harder than you, ( not that it took much work). Nice to see you raising your head above the parapet. Leave you out........ Never  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;) .

Rob Roy.