scroll saw newbie

tigercub

Hello and thank you for inviting me into the village of scroll sawing .I am a complete beginner to this type of woodwork art . I first came across this quite by accident , never having heard of the word scroll saw. Thought it was some type of lumberjacks chainsaw  carving .lol    I must say it was,nt what i envisaged and am delighted to see so much artistry involved in using very small pieces of varied wood types . Anyhow  i,m from Belfast N.Ireland ,have been a carpenter most of my life and am now heading into my twilight years .I hope to learn a little bit more about how you guys spend your leisure hours actively creating and designing such works of scrollmanship? Only word i can think of to describe what you all do . So i hope to contribute to this forum by reading ,watching and absorbing all the posts you so kindly put forward, so people like myself will derive so much benefit and hopefully enjoyment, in trying to create a few of the articles beautifully pictured and described in your Scroll saw village . thank you again .

First things first. You have to prove you're Irish.

What are the seven Irish words of wisdom? just kidding ... there are only six. :razz:

Second things second.

Rob Roy will be your mentor... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Third thing third. It's your turn to fix breakfast and all the pots and pans are dirty.

Edward didn't clean up from fixin it this morning. :oops:

And last things last.

This is a Family fun site along with serious woodworking. MHO

Ask any question you want and the answers will be spot on.

From basics to 'Kevinomics'. 

Questions from what scrollsaw, blades, wood and problem solving.

If someone here does not know, someone here will find out the answer.

Scrolling is fun and relaxing, so again Welcome.

Larry

Hello and welcome to our insanity.

Amazing Kevin is!

The rest of us kind'a glide along!

Seriously; I have owned a "scrollsaw" for over 60 years-- Yes, I still have it. Yes, kit still works. No, I do not use it much anymore. It and I are getting to be a lot alike; too old, too small, too slow, and too tired to accomplish much! But, we still try.

Seriously a lot of good answer's and even a "bad-time" A.K. is fair--PICKS on EVERYONE! So does rjR- after many decades of practice I am good at it! Nothing else, I have to have one actual talent!

I'm back Martin, We have a member  Tony Coleman  in Ireland. You could  find him in the members part of SSV ,it's on top of every page here.I can see from your beautifully worded intro that your going to fit in here like a glove.Half of doing anything is wanting too.Your desire is strong i can tell BUT just wait till you acualy cut your first project.Your going to be overwhelmed at the detailed intricacies you will do with precisionTo this day i'm in awe at every piece i do Any scroll saw will get  the job done low price or exspensive, but if you can get a dw788 scroll saw if you can .Keychains,earings,necklases,rings,hair combs,bracelets,book ends,trophies,placques,vases,bowls,cooking tools,ipad holders,picture frames,the list is endless as to  what you can make with a scroll saw.Pick something you have an interest in for a starter .Remember you'll be saving that one of hundreds .Show us your firewood projects too, a daily laugh goes a long way here in the village. I 've not found such friendly helpful people  all in one place.Must be our love of scrolling.Please pop in everyday to see what's going on and acclimate your self to the forums.We'll all enjoy seeing and hearing your special Martin comments,Enjoy friend.

Edited by amazingkevin

Hello Martin, welcome to the Village.  I'm Marg from Australia.  As you can see we love a laugh but we also love to scroll, it is our hobby, our passion and our addiction.  Ask any questions you want even the stupid ones, we have all asked them. :lol:  Come on down to the Coffee Shop and have a laugh about anything and every thing as long as its good clean fun, you will be made most welcome.

Marg

Top o' th' Mornin' and welcome. Faith and for sure, 'tis good to have a brother from the Old Sod with us. We're all just chasin' lines and looking for wood. Help is here if you need it. Don't be afraid to show your work.

Tommy, love your truck, how many miles you got on it? The red looks good on it. how did you come up with that idea?

Why don't you introduce yourself?

Your post is like you've been here a while.

Introduce and chat a bit.

Welcome to one of the funnest sites on the web where everyone feels like they are know each other, personally, even though most have not even met another member. My suggestions to a new scroller is

1.  If you do not already have a saw be sure that the one you do buy will accept ono pinned blades because as you get into scrolling, you will quickly realize that pinned blades can restrict the pattern you can cut.

2.  Find out about the blades you should use. They are easy to find on line and anyone can direct you to several places to buy them.

3.  Try what looks like a simple pattern so you do not get discouraged right off as scrolling is not difficult but if you pick up a paint brush for the first time and try to paint a picture, no  matter how hard you try,      you will not be a Rembrant

4. you need to learn to let the blade do the cutting and not to try to force it to the left of right as you cut.

5. Having a blade or a few blades break,is part of scrolling, don't let that discourage you either,

6. The life of a scrollsaw blade is very limited. One half hours cutting 3/4 inch hard wood is about all your should expect out of a blade. Trying to make the blade last a long time onlycauses he blade to wonder or burn your wood.. change it when you notice your are pushing against the blade to make it cut

7. No one will probably notice if you went off the line in a pattern, even a few times

8. Look at the tutorials in the Scroll Saw Village University on the 'Forum", just scroll down...you will be glad you took the time to watch them

Thanks from coming on board and come back often . we would all like to get to know you better

Dick

heppnerguy

I have had a couple of happy mistakes myself. When I get off the line, my creativity kicks in, sometimes to my detriment. But it is all good. My sweet wife bought me a big  band saw. So I have been searching my wood lot for burls and interesting pieces. Enhances the whole experience for me when I determine the thickness and character of the wood. Glad to be here.

First things first. You have to prove you're Irish.

What are the seven Irish words of wisdom? just kidding ... there are only six. :razz:

Second things second.

Rob Roy will be your mentor... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Third thing third. It's your turn to fix breakfast and all the pots and pans are dirty.

Edward didn't clean up from fixin it this morning. :oops:

And last things last.

This is a Family fun site along with serious woodworking. MHO

Ask any question you want and the answers will be spot on.

From basics to 'Kevinomics'. 

Questions from what scrollsaw, blades, wood and problem solving.

If someone here does not know, someone here will find out the answer.

Scrolling is fun and relaxing, so again Welcome.

Larry

Welcome to the place for a great journey Martin.  If Larry is correct we will all look forward to a Scot teaching the Irish - this should be fun to watch.

post-8034-0-22250700-1412868221_thumb.jpg