Why Woodworking?

jim.scrollsaws

Hey guys,

I'm still new around here and I was curious to get a sense of how others on the forum think. Naturally, I think woodworking is a great hobby. It keeps us active, we can take pride in making our own custom items and I've seen people make outstanding, personalized gifts for their close ones.

But what do you think? What are the main reasons for you to take such an interest in woodworking? Is it just a hobby, or work for you?

I don't expect a lot of long answers, this is just a little curiosity of mine 

Also, do you have any other hobbies besides this?

Thanks!

Edited by jim.scrollsaws

Wood is beautiful, it is versatile and it is my friend.

By my definition, Woodworking is: 

bring a material  to a desired shape or consistency by 

cutting, sanding or some other method.                       

It's diverse, it's a teacher, it's beautiful.

Working wood is satisfying and it is a unifier of peoples.

What else has the variety that wood has.

It is an amazing creation of God.

I started when I was in high school. Spent 4 years in the navy, when I got out I started to work in machine shop and doing wood working as a hobby at that time had some slack time but always went back working with wood, Now that I have finally retired it is a full time hobby, My dad worked with wood also. I guess it is a family thing, My father in lad did wood working and so does my brother in law,. it is in our vanes

I don't know, must be in my blood. My Father built things from wood, not furniture or anything. Decks, Docks, Shelves. His Father was a German Cabinet Maker. I carve woodensigns as a business, and scroll for the fun of it, and perhaps future profit potential. My other hobby is photography.

Edited by Kragax

Jim

Finished work in March this year and after 30 years running a furniture restoration business always under pressure to complete jobs This is my time. I chose wood crafts making toys as I can see a space in the local market to sell all I make to friends contacts and craft fairs to fund my hobby and not dip into the family spends.

So far I am making 20 piggy banks from the pattern located in the scroll saw workshop.  To say I am obsessed would be an understatement.

I don't class what I do as work as it is all done at my pace.

Good luck

Ken

I was a handyman tradesman for well over 30 years.The recession came an went but so did my thousands of customers.Lost them all.I did everything from a to z on a house,store or business what  ever it was plumbing ,tile,electrical, roofing air conditioning... BUT wood working was my worst..God turned everything around and made wood working my best.It amazes me to take a dead piece of wood and transform it into precious sought  after art.I hated details but the scrolling is all details and soothes the mind doing it greatly. I'm at peace with the world scrolling.I always loved to give and scrolling allows me to do that even more.  My other hobbie is shortwave radio listening which i haven't done since i touched a scroll saw    .    

For me it is a combination of factors.

• There is an element of self sufficiency. You're making something to make your life better in some way. Look at my avatar, couldn't find carriage lamps for the garage that weren't made in China, so I made my own, note the scroll sawed flower from copper.
  • I was a estimating manager in printing, woodworking is a opportunity to work with my hands as well as my head.
  • There is the endless variety and beauty of wood.
  • When working with wooden objects there is an opportunity to be creative, or if you're not, you can just follow plans from a magazine or fellow woodworkers.
  • It's fun to make items for family members and friends. Often these are items that will be cherished.
  • It is a hobby that you can grow with, as you develop your skills. What's more exciting than personal growth. Look at projects you did a couple years ago and the one's you are working on now. That's growth.
  • And you can turn your hobby into a business if you are feeling ambitious.
  • Last, but not least, you get to meet and share ideas with the nicest people like at SSV.

I love scrolling and intarsia work for several reasons. First it is not expensive to get started in. It does not take a lot of space. You do not have to spend very much money on your materials. you can use others scrap wood to make things with, if you wish. I get a lot of pleasure in taking a piece of wood and being able to produce something I like in a very short time. I have a way of bringing pleasure to others with my work. and best of all, I do not have to wonder the stores to try and find something that my wife will like for her birthday, anniversary or Christmas, because there is an endless things I can make her that I know she will love having. 

I don't know anything else that can produce all that for me.

Dick

heppnerguy