21 vs 16 " saw how much is the 21" needed

herrwood

Thinking about getting a new saw  I have been looking at the Excalibur saws.

The 16" would most likly be ok for me but I see they also have a 21".

Just wondering on average how much a longer saw then 16" is needed.

The aditional cost is  not a problem but do not want to spend more then I need to.

While I have been working with wood for years never did much scroll work but as I am getting older, smaller and ligher projects are starting to appeal to me .

Basically a 16" saw can handle a 32" project doing it in halfs. A 21 will accept projects up to 42" in.I have 20" saw 's  for years now and never want to go smaller as i do lots of skinny but long projects.If you ever need more saw and settle for a 16" ,not good.If your projects are just going to be regular copy paper  size a 16" will be fine for you.I used a 16" saw 4 or 5 years before i got a 20" saw. I really struggled and stretched to do bigger projects.For myself  a 21 " saw would make my life even easyier!

The 16 will be very fine -- for about 90% of your cutting! But it will be just not enough on that other 10%

I had a 16" Dremel pin blade saw that would let me turn the blades sideways; it did about 99% with that feature! Now some of the pros hate pin end blades; most of what I do they would do fine!

I now have a DW 788 and it is a very fine saw and has done a lot of tough(hickory, maple & oak) cutting. I can say that it is a good saw! Get a decent light for it right away though, as the factory one is garbage.

Edited by rjR

I have a 20" Hegner , a 25" Hegner and a 15" jet.  I use the 15" jet 95% of the time.  I use the 20" only because I have the Jet set to a 2.2 ° angle and when I need a 90° cut I use the 20" saw.  My 25" saw is in storage.  I could do all my work with 15" saws.  It all depends on your needs.

Thanks for replies as most stated the 21 would be a better choice but that brings up the thought if you have 21 do you need 22 or larger.  A interesting turn of events was speaking with a friend who is moving and he has a dewalt 788 about 6 months old that he will not be able to use when he moves and is at a price that is hard to say no to.  I do like some of the different features that the Excalibur had but will have to consider this option which I think is also a good saw.

Boy, aren't you one to 'Wiff Woff' and prolong a decision.

Wiff Woff- bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball

Get the 20" Dewalt, wear it out and then buy a 33 1/3"  saw or a 21"

Actually, the answer is to get the Dewalt and the Excalibur

Oh, you never said what saw you currently have.

Another thought is experience would tell you to get the bigger saw,

no experience would say, 'any saw will do.'

Oh, you never said what saw you currently have.

Another thought is experience would tell you to get the bigger saw,

no experience would say, 'any saw will do.'

Never did much scroll work mostly have done thing like tables, bookcase, small cabinets and things like that for family and friends but geting older and looking for faster and smaller projects. I have a  16" roybii about 25 years old that my son used when he was young. I was looking at it the other day and it was cutting out but it was a bad plug so I do have it working and can do some work with it  but figured I would start with something a little newer.

I am trying to spend as much money as possible before I die so no one has to fight over whats left :).

So the Excalibur seemed like a good place to start. Now with a more inexpensive option in the slightly used dw788, it sounds like a good way for me to go.

Edited by herrwood

I'd go as big as I could affort.  If that was a 30" that is what I would have.  I have a 21", love it and if I had know how much I like scrolling I will have probably gone for the 30".  I have only once gone down is size on a tool and now I have found times when I regret it.  I went from a full sized lathe to a midi size.  There have been a couple time I've thought I like to try something on it but it is not big enough.  But I have a small shop and sacrifices must be made.

I am trying to spend as much money as possible before I die so no one has to fight over whats left :).

So the Excalibur seemed like a good place to start. Now with a more inexpensive option in the slightly used dw788, it sounds like a good way for me to go.

The Dewalt is a good saw and plenty big enough for whatever you cut.

Are you going to cut anything longer than your legs?

Cut one of the doors in your house in half, will you cut anything bigger than that?

I think you will love the Dewalt especially after the Ryobi

Well, my input would be, if you can get a good price on the DeWalt, I don't think you would ever regret buying it. I have had mine for several years and has serviced me well. It seems rather senseless to me to spend a lot more money on a saw when you have this opportunity, If the saw is a good savings, then the DeWalt would be my choice, Without it to consider, i would go ahead and buy the larger of the two other saws if that were my only choice. You never mentioned what sort of price offer you got on the DeWalt though and that might effect my answer. It seems to me that if you are  a conservative driver and you have a nice car with all the bells and whistles and you enjoy it but you find out about a different car that can go 160 MPH but it costs $100,000. to buy the faster car and you never speed anyway, what is the point of spending the $100,00 ?  That is my point

Dick

heppnerguy