Not Sure What To Do Next

browders

Not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for this, but here goes. I am an Apple Mac user and have been attempting to better myself in Inkscape. Yesterday I upgraded my operating system to Yosemite. Apparently it's the latest and greatest. Unfortunately for me, the result of this upgrade was that I can no longer run Inkscape. I downloaded the program again from the Inkscape web site, but it still wouldn't run. Then I noticed that X11 wasn't appearing so I went to their website and attempted to download the program. I got a message saying I needed OS 7. I'm using OS 10.10. Don't know what to do next. This was the wrong time of year for a software malfunction.

Is there anyone out there who might be able to help?

Thanks,

Jim

Computors are confusing and SPECIAL ,I was having display issues displays and icons seemed to have a mind of their own ,I went to (           ) large big box office supply store with tech.dept .and inquired .no sweat bring it in should be cheap fix .RIGHT ,took it in ,they couldn't fix .Did a automatic free scan and came up with 4300 issues ,I watched the scan ,for $149.00  they could eliminate the 4300 issues but no guarantee of fixing the problem.would take 6 hrs to do the auto prog.issue fix then they would call with next step if needed ,their best guess was another $275.00 .Me.  What about another computor ,being this was not a preemo unit Just a middle of the road 2-yr old Dell ,$650.00 upon further questioning turns out there is middle of the road ,but new ! I said Thanks but no thanks ,how much do I owe You so far ! nothing he said .Fine I said brought it home sicked Norton on it ,complete check out ! upon completion I played with it .not sure what I did but works fine and been using for 6 mos. since . So evidently it was the nut behind the wheel .So my long winded point is you have to ask a lot of questions and the important ones three times in slightly different ways to get to the facts ,compatability is a major issue on older programs and newer one s too! btw Norton did not find any where 4300 issues and it corrected them all ! You have to ask and ask or you will own something ( oh ! Gee ! thats not compatable ,but I can't take it back it's been opened !!

My computer guy says to download and run two programs before you shut down for the day.They are   CC Cleaner and malwarespyware both are free from    filehippo , File hippo will tell you what needs to be upgraded every month too.They clean tons of things everytime for me.

Thanks Kev, I'll give that a try.

some time a 'restore' will work. I was having a big problem with ads popping up every time I tried to go to another place. I could not find the source of the problem and then I just erased the internet browser I was using and BINGO  it is gone. No more problem. But as for you, Jim. It sounds like Inkscape has not updated it's page to work with your new ops. I think you will just have to wait until they do that before you will be able to use their program again,

Dick

heppnerguy

Here's the solution for running Inkscape on X11:  https://inkscape.org/en/download/mac-os/

You'll need to download and install a program that makes cross platform programs operate in an OSX environment.  I don't own a mac, so I'm not very familiar with the process.  But at least this should point you in the right direction.