FERRIS WHEEL

GRRRRRRRRRR-I HAVE SCRAPPED AND STARTED OVER THREE TIMES THE LARGE SIDES. I HATE WORKING WITH PLYWOOD . i AM TRYING TO USE OAK PLYWOOD . MABEE I SHOULD HAVE TRIED USING BIRCH INSTEAD?

GATOR WHAT DO YOU  THINK ABOUT IT?THE PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING IS THE WOOD SPLINTERS WHEN I DRILL THE 5/16 HOLES FOR THE PEGS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE WOOD ,WHICH IN THIS CASE IS GOING TO BE VISIBLE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO

I was thinking about this and had a few ideas that might help. First, if you stack cut with one of those scrapped pieces placed on the bottom, I think the good pieces would stay mostly splinter free, while the scrap piece would take most of the splintering. I also see people taping the entire underside of the wood to hold it together. I think these sound like good ideas, and possibly using less aggressive drill bits.

I was thinking about this and had a few ideas that might help. First, if you stack cut with one of those scrapped pieces placed on the bottom, I think the good pieces would stay mostly splinter free, while the scrap piece would take most of the splintering. I also see people taping the entire underside of the wood to hold it together. I think these sound like good ideas, and possibly using less aggressive drill bits.

Kevx is right ,but it's something i rarely do ,i hate to waste precious wood just for some splinters.

GRRRRRRRRRR-I HAVE SCRAPPED AND STARTED OVER THREE TIMES THE LARGE SIDES. I HATE WORKING WITH PLYWOOD . i AM TRYING TO USE OAK PLYWOOD . MABEE I SHOULD HAVE TRIED USING BIRCH INSTEAD?

GATOR WHAT DO YOU  THINK ABOUT IT?THE PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING IS THE WOOD SPLINTERS WHEN I DRILL THE 5/16 HOLES FOR THE PEGS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE WOOD ,WHICH IN THIS CASE IS GOING TO BE VISIBLE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO

It will cost time but you can drill twice. Smallest bit you have first then use larger bit on one side just countersink,

turn over and drill through...

It will cost time but you can drill twice. Smallest bit you have first then use larger bit on one side just countersink,

turn over and drill through...

I thought about this too, and then I thought about how many inside cuts he has to do on this pattern! But if that's what has to be done to do it right, I would do it. Then on to a bigger problem; You have to keep that plywood from splintering when you do the cuts too. I think I would try out different blades on scrap pieces before I'd risk any cuts on that piece you've already invested so much time on.

Another idea that i do sometimes is use a 1/16 inch drill bit and then I cut the circle with my saw. It always comes out well for me when I do that. always be sure that you are using a sharp drill bit and your work piece is also sitting another board that is placed on your drill press.  Hope this might help

Dick

heppnerguy