Vibration question

OCtoolguy

Ok, I promised an update so here it is. I took my saw apart yesterday and found where my vibration was coming from. The tension wheel has one large allen screw that holds it down in place with a tension washer under it. Well, the screw was about half way out. Also, I found that all the bearings are pretty snug so I will save that for another day. I have to find the right grease and a needle adapter for my grease gun. That video that Bob Brokaw made is fantastic and very detailed.

As long as I was about working yesterday, I also got around to building my new saw stand. I got the plans for it somewhere on one of the forums but I can't remember where. I think it might have come from Scrollsaw Workshop. Anyway, they were very detailed also with very good measurments. So, I had purchased the lumber and built it yesterday. I am attaching 3 pics of it. I am still messing around with the correct tilt to the saw so that is yet to be finished. Hope this is enough of an update. Now, on to scrolling. I love this hobby.

Ray

post-23199-0-27906300-1428460155_thumb.jpg

post-23199-0-74307200-1428460158_thumb.jpg

post-23199-0-55022200-1428460161_thumb.jpg

Ray, glad you are making progress.  That is a very sturdy looking bench.  I think you will really like it.  I had my saw tilted and then went back to level.  I don't really mind it either way so one advantage to flat, things don't slide off.  So I went with flat.  I'd like to have it adjustable so you could have it both ways.  I keep thinking I will do that some day, but I'd have to interrupt my scrolling to do it.

Scrappile, I'm inclined to agree with you. That's why I'm going to hinge the front of the saw nearest to me and then make the rear adjustable with a series of pin holes of some kind. Something simple and quick to change. I love the sturdyness of this new stand. It is heavy enough that it doesn't move one bit and once I get the carpet under the saw itself, what little vibration there might be should be soaked up by it. I'm very very happy with this new setup. Anybody want to buy a factory stand. Cheap!!

Ray

That is one nice looking stand.  I'm planning on building one this weekend and have been scouring the internet for ideas.  I really like how sturdy this one looks, I might just have to build one similar.  One thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out a good height for it.  As it is right now my saw sits too high and I have to stand to work.  May I ask the height of your stand?

thanks,

Josh

Josh, that was one of the things that I hated about the factory stand. That and the fact that the saw was not stable enough for my liking. The plan I used called for 3 legs cut at 25" in length with a 5 degree angle on each end. I you want I will send you the plans. PM me your email address. Also, what brand of saw do you have? The one shown in the plans was unidentifiable so I have to figure an additional 9.5 inches from the top of the stand to the top of the table. I have a fairly short chair that I picked up at one of the homes near me that was going to be thrown away. I am still looking for the right chair. I may end up with an office chair that will give me some adjustment.

Ray

I had two dw788 's that vibrate over 5 on the speed dial.somethings wore out Tighten the stand bolts see that it's square to the floor ,check the saw mount (3) to see if they loosened up.I took one off the saw apart band re greased with Valvoline synthetic grease and it made the saw sweet as a kitten ,but still thee were two bearings i could not get to and the are in the upper and lower front end of the saw which is whee the vibration is coming from on two of my saws.I just keep the speed at 5 or less and I'm a happy camper, Just let me scroll!

Hey Heppnerguy, did you ever check the allen bolt that holds the tension adjuster on? That's what was shaking on mine. It has a wave washer under it but it still managed to work it's way loose and was almost half way out. Once tightened, my saw runs at full speed without any vibration. Of course the new heavy duty stand it now sits on helped too. The factory tubular stand will be relegated to some other use. Someone else mentioned using it for a drill press stand and that may become it's eventual use.

I had the same problem with my Delta 40-694. (Very similar to the DeWalt 788) I took it apart and adjusted the counterbalance closer to the pivot drive arm. I also put 2 nylon washers on either side of the shaft in the pivot arm assembly. I tightened all bolts and lubed them with lithium grease. The saw runs much quieter and the vibration is almost gone. Has some vibration at high speed but it’s what you would expect.

Hey Ray, you probably will not saw at full speed anyway. I teach my students to start at a medium speed. On the DeWALT saw at #4 on the speed selection knob. Then if you feel your cutting to slow, turn it up a little. If you feel you can't stay on the line because it's going to fast, slow it down a little.

The only time I run at full speed is when I'm cutting thick hardwood with a big blade such as a #9 or bigger.

Im glad you found your vibration problem and built a stout stand. The tubular stand is crapp! The three legged stand that ia currently available is designed to help eliminate vibration on the DeWalt saw and I would recommend it.

Thanks DGman. I have been trying to keep the speed way down on what I have cut up to now. I just happened to turn up the speed dial to see how my saw reacted and it really did shake. I thought maybe it was the wood cutouts that I had glued to the blade knobs that were making it shake but  after talking with a few of the folks on here, they assured me that the knobs were probably not enough weight to make it shake. So, I started trying to determine what was wrong. I knew that the stand was a big part of the problem. Now, I have a very heavy stand and the saw is mounted in carpet. But after watching the videos put out by Bob Brokaw I decided to take my saw apart and check it out. I got it down to where I had to take the switch housing off and that's when I found the loose bolt. So, I tightened it up and did a visual on all the rest of the bearing points. It is smooth as silk now. Thanks again for your input. I value it very much.

Ray