My Saw Died

koehler788

I have been using the DeWalt 788 for a long time now and it started making this God awful noise the other day.

I ignored it and this morning I came out to cut on one off my projects. It was really bad. Called to see about repairs and the guy gave me a price I am not comfortable with. $300.00 max repair, two month wait.

I guess I'm done.

Can't afford that !

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-dw788-type-scroll-saw-parts-c-1009_2631_207564.html

Here is a link to repair parts!

They are not too complicated . You probably have a buddy to help with it anyway.

I suggest taking apart taking pictures as you go and looking for excessive movement in the parts. Looking parts diagram over and deciding then whether to repair or replace.

Also do a internet search on the DeWalt 788 repair.

Good luck.

Almost forgot; please let the community know what you did!

Edited by rjR

Negative on the self repair.

Watched video, not one to turn wrenches. It looked to me like brain surgury.

would love to upgrade to an ex30 - $1020.00 is a lot of money I don't have.

ex21 n $899.00 is also a lot. Don't want a used DeWalt, or a new type 2 .

No matter what happens this saw will never leave my possesion, it was my brothers before he passed

I have been using the DeWalt 788 for a long time now and it started making this God awful noise the other day.

I ignored it and this morning I came out to cut on one off my projects. It was really bad. Called to see about repairs and the guy gave me a price I am not comfortable with. $300.00 max repair, two month wait.

I guess I'm done.

Can't afford that !

Check with the Dewalt Service Center - http://www.dewalt.com/Find-Service-Center.aspx They have a guarenteed repair price program.  The repair will not go over that limit.

DW

Mine has had several issues and was able to tighten something back up  or put a nut back on .So far i didn't have to spend any money for my repairs .i did lose a screw or two and bought them.I re greased all the bearings with valvoline synthetic car grease and that is the best fix i ever did to the dewalt.Take the blade out ,hold the top arm down and try to lift the lower arm blade holding mechanism .Then do the same thing to the top blade holding mechanism.This will help greatly to find where the problem is.Last time it was just the 4 screws that hold the lower mechanism to the yellow panels on both sides of the machine.That was the quickest repair i ever did to it.Hopefully this could be your problem.It's a bummer not being able to scroll.I have 4 back up saws.lol 2 are new dewalts!Let us know what you find .Someone will know what your problem is and will get you going again.If you were closer i'd show you all i know about them.The videos are a great way to familiarize your self with the insides  of this great saw!Rick's Scrollsaw-

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/

DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw Review - YouTube

Sorry to hear. This might seem like an obvious suggestion, but maybe you could get a cheaper saw so you at least something to scroll on in the mean time? I finally had to give up on my saw, and couldn't afford the $500 DeWalt so I got the $100 Ryobi. Sure it's not as good, but it really does get the job done and I haven't had any problems with it. Least you could keep on scrolling in the mean time!

My old type 1 is someday going to need repairs, so I have give this some thought.  I'm like you and am not a wrench turner.  I have a friend that is a mechanic and his wife loves some of the projects I have made.  When the time comes, I think we can work out a swap -  help with my repairs and take whatever you like from my finshed projects.  Just a thought.

Jim

We mostly know our own abilities; although, sometimes circumstances can force us to try new things and find new abilities! Buy a 6 pk --get a "wrencher" buddy to walk you through it!

You might discover more ability than you thought you had!

Kevin is right about sometimes things seem a lot worse than they are too. A few screws loose can make things --ratlle --clunk -- run erratic-- and even stop and still be a very minor issue!

Took it apart. Connecting arm gouged badly, eccentric cam worn out and won't stay on. Washers worn to nothing, put back together and variable speed going in and out.

OH Well. I'm done for awhile.

I'll try to contribute by making patterns and keeping in touch.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

I had the same problems with mine a year or so ago. Mine was only about 3 years old. The main bearing in the arm that connects to  cam and both upper and lower arm(makes the saw go) broke. I did replace that as well as a couple other things. then the motor or variable speed thing was going out. tired of putting money into something that wouldn't work right. Got my back up saw back from a friend,  while I saved enough money to buy the EX 21. S o far it was the best thing I have done getting rid of ole yeller.

I hope you find something to keep you scrolling.

Wished we lived a lot closer to each other. I have 2 working saws in  my shop on the floor as back up. I could also take a look and probably repair yours. There are a lot of videos on youtube about the DW788 that are helpful. I don't own one but the comments were great as were the videos. Best of luck, I know the feeling of having a saw not working and the interenal need to feed the addiction. :)

I also have a type 2 and have put a lot of miles on it. I am still very happy with mine. It is a very simple saw to work on. Maybe you might consider checking your local Craigslist. Might come up with something good there at the right price. If you have garage or estate sales going on in your town this summer. you might just want to give them a good walk through. Last year I bought a $1400 RBI for only $65. They could not find the legs to it but I was able to get some from an old table saw stand that worked perfectly for free. So don't give up. Start looking.

Dick

heppnerguy

These saws are very easily repaired. There is a great video on how to do it and Rick's scrollsaw has a lot of info. Take your time and like someone suggested, take pictures as you go. It is well worth the effort. I had a terrible noise and vibration. I took it apart the first time and found a loose nut. While inside I took a look around and fixed or headed off a couple of things that might have gone out before they did. I wish you lived near me, I'd love to help you out. If you decide to give it a try, we are all here for you and will help as you move along.

Ray