Lawyers On Our Lawn

Travis

Howdy All.  I want to remind everybody not to distribute patterns or designs that they haven’t personally designed themselves.  I was contacted by a copyright owner about a design in our Pattern Library.  I was given a legal notice and asked to remove the pattern from SSV.  The original design was altered to make it cuttable on a scroll saw.  Simply altering an existing design so it’s cuttable is not sufficient to call it your own.  This is considered derivative work and still violates copyright laws.  You pretty much have to alter the design so much that it is unrecognizable from the original.  Here are some guidelines as to what is acceptable or what is not.

With your cooperation, we can keep the lawyers off our lawn and keep the lights on at SSV:thumbs:

Yea some people are so touchy.    Anyhow, that's why I really wont post patterns.  Honestly, there are so many patterns out there, even if you think of something yourself, chances are others will claim to have the rights to it.  Its amazing that a copyright lawyer will contact a small website like this but allow Teds Woodworking to stay in bushiness.   I believe its all out of laziness, they will go after the ones they know they can intimidate and the ones they have to work to find they let slide.

I completely understand.  I've had some of my patterns taken and sold without my permission, and it's frustrating.  At SSV, we try hard to protect our fellow artists, no matter the medium.  If the pattern, design, artwork, or whatever other intellectual property is posted without that artist's permission, I'm happy to remove it.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake.  Sometimes these designs are posted onto sites that claim it's free clipart.  The pattern-maker downloads them and alters it so it can be cut and shares it with others.  Unbeknownst to them that someone else owned it.

Is it one that should not be cut?  I mean, if it was posted many may have downloaded it before the owner mentioned it.  Do we need to know to delete it from out personal libraries of downloaded patterns?

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I was asked to remove it from SSV and I was happy to oblige.  What you do with your own library is up to you.