finding your niche

GrampaJim

We don't always wind up doing the things we thing we will.  About a year ago I did a word art pattern from Jeff Paxton's Words of Faith in Wood book as a request.  Word art was not really easy for me then -or now.  Next thing I know, I have a request for another one like it, then another.  OK, no big deal.  Then I was asked for a Bible verse, that I didn't have a pattern for.  Oh-oh, now we need to learn Inkscrape to figure out how to do that!  Got over that issue (kind of - still learning).  Then a couple more requests for still more verses to make.  This fall, I got a request for 3 of the same verse - still needed to make the pattern myself for Christmas present.  First pix attached.  So we stack cut 4pcs  of 1/8 Oak ply in case one had some breakout.  nope - all good.  Now I have an extra.  Took that to work and someone bought it!  

I guess Bible verses are my thing - whether I like cutting letters or not.

Jim

post-23508-0-61076900-1448030708_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-07331100-1448030728_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrampaJim

We don't always wind up doing the things we thing we will.  About a year ago I did a word art pattern from Jeff Paxton's Words of Faith in Wood book as a request.  Word art was not really easy for me then -or now.  Next thing I know, I have a request for another one like it, then another.  OK, no big deal.  Then I was asked for a Bible verse, that I didn't have a pattern for.  Oh-oh, now we need to learn Inkscrape to figure out how to do that!  Got over that issue (kind of - still learning).  Then a couple more requests for still more verses to make.  This fall, I got a request for 3 of the same verse - still needed to make the pattern myself for Christmas present.  First pix attached.  So we stack cut 4pcs  of 1/8 Oak ply in case one had some breakout.  nope - all good.  Now I have an extra.  Took that to work and someone bought it!  

I guess Bible verses are my thing - whether I like cutting letters or not.

Jim

You Ace'd them! Good job.I do mine in microsoftoffice word 2006 very east to use .Inkscape is beyond my comprehension .I'm blessed to have found microsoft

You can bet your bottom dollar that the thing you dislike cutting the most is the one thing you will get orders for.  At least you embraced it and not run from it, think of all the money you would have lost if you had run.

Marg

Took the words right out of my mouth, the projects I dislike the most tend to get the most requests.

Thanks for all the kind comments.  I love Bible verses, just don't like cutting letters - LOL!

One of the things that helps with letters that I figured out, is to us an easy font.  Times New Roman for example has perfect strait lines and right angles.  I try to use one like Word Art or Brush Hand which have softer lines and are way more forgiving.  My customers don't know or seem to care. 

Jim

Great work and congratulations on your perseverence with Inkscape.

As Amazing Kevin said, I find it easier to do a word pattern in a document

program like word or works and have not tried Inkscape for anything.

Other project patterns I make in an old Photoshop program. I haven't mastered

that either but, it gets me by.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

• 1 month later...

as for me i also dont like cutting letters i think it is becuse there is no room for mistakes we all know what the letters look like so when you mess up it is there to see ...good job on yours , and i still cant figer out inkscape lol you got it going on lol

I am doing inlay projects.  Images and lettering. The font I use is "Lucindia Handwriting" in word.  Script is easier to do because handwriting is not blocked out like printed lettering is. Slight variances do not matter as much.   People seem to prefer it also.  I prefer inlaying images but have done lettering also.  Twice I have had orders for twenty five boxes all with different names inlaid into the lids.  That taught me how to do it pretty well.  My niche is cedar boxes with inlaid images in the hinged lids.  I have made over 2000 boxes with inlay over the years and still like it.