Frank Pellow says Hello

Frank Pellow

I’ve owned a scroll saw, an Excalibur EX30, for 12 years but, until a couple of months ago, had only used it for a total of about five hours.

Two months ago, I happened upon the ‘Seasonal Welcome Sign’ series on Sheila Landry’s web site and ordered the plans. Sawing, painting, and framing them seems to have got me hooked. I will talk about that project in another thread but, before I do that, I will introduce myself in this thread.

I am a retired software designer and developer with a forty year career, mostly with IBM and with Microsoft while residing in Ontario (Canada), Washington state (USA), and Hampshire (United Kingdom). Twelve years ago, I retired and built (by myself) a separate woodworking shed in our back garden in Scarborough, Ontario. Here is a composite photo showing both exterior and exterior views of the shed of that shed:

post-28738-0-85531700-1449717819_thumb.j

As well as our home in Southern Ontario, Margaret (my wife of 49 years) and I reside at our small island in Lake Pivabiska in Northern Ontario. I have another, smaller, woodworking shed on Pellow’s Island, but, as yet, no scroll saw.

My main hobbies are furniture making, toy/game making, construction, photography, carving (native North America north-west style), stained glass work, and (for the last two months) scroll saw art. Here are a very few examples of items I have designed and made:

Furniture (oak filing cabinets):

Game (walnut and birch crokinole board):

Construction (cedar and stone steps for our cedar log cabin):

Carving (a small cedar totem pole & a cedar bentwood box with an ash top):

Stained Glass and Woodworking (traditional style windows in walnut doors):

Construction & Stained Glass (La Bécosse with Backhouse insert):

Miscellaneous (Cherry and walnut musical jewelry box):

HELP - I CAN"T SEEM TO IMBED THE PHOTOS WITHIN THE TEXT    'Add to Post' is supposed to put a placeholder at the current position of the cursor but that does not seem to be happening for me.  I hope that this is not another incompatibility between the forum support software and Internet Explorer.  If someone who has the authority and ability to do so could move the thumbnails to their intended locations, I would appreciate it.

post-28738-0-39957700-1449717814_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-27297100-1449717815_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-93837600-1449717815_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-44480500-1449717816_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-03138500-1449717817_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-68593600-1449717817_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-50724300-1449717818_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-20333200-1449717819_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-85531700-1449717819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

I’ve owned a scroll saw, an Excalibur EX30, for 12 years but, until a couple of months ago, had only used it for a total of about five hours.

Two months ago, I happened upon the ‘Seasonal Welcome Sign’ series on Sheila Landry’s web site and ordered the plans. Sawing, painting, and framing them seems to have got me hooked. I will talk about that project in another thread but, before I do that, I will introduce myself in this thread.

I am a retired software designer and developer with a forty year career, mostly with IBM and with Microsoft while residing in Ontario (Canada), Washington state (USA), and Hampshire (United Kingdom). Twelve years ago, I retired and built (by myself) a separate woodworking shed in our back garden in Scarborough, Ontario. Here is a composite photo showing both exterior and exterior views of the shed of that shed:

[shed photo should go here] 

As well as our home in Southern Ontario, Margaret (my wife of 49 years) and I reside at our small island in Lake Pivabiska in Northern Ontario. I have another, smaller, woodworking shed on Pellow’s Island, but, as yet, no scroll saw.

My main hobbies are furniture making, toy/game making, construction, photography, carving (native North America north-west style), stained glass work, and (for the last two months) scroll saw art. Here are a very few examples of items I have designed and made:

Furniture (oak filing cabinets):

Game (walnut and birch crokinole board):

Construction (cedar and stone steps for our cedar log cabin):

Carving (a small cedar totem pole & a cedar bentwood box with an ash top):

Stained Glass and Woodworking (traditional style windows in walnut doors):

Construction & Stained Glass (La Bécosse with Backhouse insert):

Miscellaneous (Cherry and walnut musical jewelry box):

HELP - I CAN"T SEEM TO IMBED THE PHOTOS WITHIN THE TEXT    'Add to Post' is supposed to put a placeholder at the current position of the cursor but that does not seem to be happening for me.  I hope that this is not another incompatibility between the forum support software and Internet Explorer.  If someone who has the authority and ability to do so could move the thumbnails to their intended locations, I would appreciate it.

I can see you take pride in your work! Welcome friend,Keep coming back! post a paragraph add the photo, post some more add the photo works for me.

Welcome, pleased to have you. 

Looks as if you are a Frank of all trades.

Nice roomy shop, but I didn't see your scroll saw.

Oh, and you can never own too may clamps huh?

Thanks for the welcome Larry.  My scroll saw was in the woodworking shed when that photo was taken, just not in the photo. 

But, since then, I have moved it into the basement of our house.  Once I convinced Margaret that the saw did not make much noise nor raise much dust, she let me move it.

About the clams; I have added more since that photo was taken.  And I am sure that I will continue to purchase some additional clamps  from time to time.

Here is a photo of my scroll saw in its current location:

post-28738-0-36577200-1449755347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

JohnR48, I see from your avatar that you are a fan of West Cost Native Art. 

I have carved, and even designed, several carvings based upon the Haida style but I am unaware of much such art that has been done using a scroll saw. 

If you or anyone else could point me to any places which depicts such art, I would appreciate it.

Phantom Scroller, when I purchased my Excalibur EX30 in 2003, it came in that purple colour.  At that time the saw was manufactured by Somerville Industries in Pickering Ontario (very close to where I live). :) 

Then General purchased Somerville, changed to colour to a blah green-grey, and moved the manufacturing out of Canada. :grr:

Welcome to our world wide family of strollers. I would be happy to give you some tips but your talents way pass mine, so I will just sit back and see what you do with your scroll saw. It is obviousness to me that you are very talented and maticulous with the things you do. The one thing you will learn quickly, providing that you log on here on a regular basis, and that being you are now amount aa lot of fun loving and sharing people. We welcome all new people to our community and once you get to know the people here it will be difficult not to log on daily and check on the activities of your new found family. It is easy to see that spending a weekend with you would truly be a learning experience for me. I enjoyed all the posts of your work and I had to show it to my wife, ( of 54 years) , she really enjoyed you filing cabinets and your stained glass door. All I can say is, explore , explore ,explore. There is a lot to find hiding throughout The Village and it is just waiting for you to discover. Be sure and check out Travis's wonder university part of the 'forum'

Dick

heppnerguy

I thank the many folks who have welcomed me here and who have taken the time to look at the photos of the non-scroll-saw projects that I posted in my introduction.  Many of you have complimented me on those projects and I very much appreciate those compliments.

Specifically, I thank those who I have not already responded to above, that is:

• Falcon
  • sorcier
  • wombatie
  • amazingkevin
  • scrolling Steve
  • multitom
  • bobscroll
  • ike
  • heppnerguy 

I'm certain that I will learn a lot here (but, I am somewhat disappointed that no one has managed to move the thumbnails in my original post to the places that they belong within the text)

I thank the many folks who have welcomed me here and who have taken the time to look at the photos of the non-scroll-saw projects that I posted in my introduction.  Many of you have complimented me on those projects and I very much appreciate those compliments.

Specifically, I thank those who I have not already responded to above, that is:

• Falcon
  • sorcier
  • wombatie
  • amazingkevin
  • scrolling Steve
  • multitom
  • bobscroll
  • ike
  • heppnerguy 

I'm certain that I will learn a lot here (but, I am somewhat disappointed that no one has managed to move the thumbnails in my original post to the places that they belong within the text)

I understand your concern about not being able to place your photos in the spot you wish them to be, and I do not have the knowledge to help you either, but it may be set up this way on purpose because of the difference in the space it would take up and the time for downloading it , for people with slow internet. not sure.. You can PM  Travis Cook, who runs this sight and I know that he can help you. Also if he reads your post, I am sure he will most likely post an explanation  as to how or why it is as it is.

Dick

heppnerguy 

Hi Frank

Regarding picture inside the post.

​

I don't know if you can do after but when you attach your files there is a button beside you picture that ways add to post.  If you click that it will put the picture where your cursor is.

I can't edit your original post maybe you can.  Also, if you click on "My media it show you all your attachments and you can insert in the body,

post-2032-0-63246000-1442058564_thumb.png

The pic above is a previous post.

Don