DW #788

rjR

Help will be appreciated; My type 2 DW 788 has started to have issues; binding in the bearings --sometime knocks, sometmes does not!

Does anyone know where a bearing kit with all of the bearings is available; so I can have them on hand to replace all at one time.  I know I have several going out!

I only want to take it apart once; not several times. I also want to be able to do all of the bearings at one go!

It makes no sense to me to have it down and then search for each bearing, I think there should be an "overhaul" kits available like there are for engines!

I purchased my bearings from VXB Bearings. http://www.vxb.com/The following lists the bearings required for a 40-694 which I believe is the same as the DW788.

Each kit is 1 bearing so you need to know how many of each that you need. Hope this helps you.

A good quality grease is your best friend.

Kit8616 HK0609 Needle Bearing 6x10x9 TLA609Z Miniature Needle Bearings 1 $4.37

Kit7189 HK1412 Needle Bearing 14x20x12 TLA1412Z Needle Bearings 1 $5.77

Kit7492 HK0810 Needle Bearing 8x12x10 TLA810Z Miniature Needle Bearings 1 $5.77

Don R

Post #8 is link to DW788 repair video.  Shows you how to do the bearings and much, much more.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/16873-dw788-service/?hl=788

Larry

Post I made in 2013 shows the same bearing numbers that Don R shows.  Just looked up price at vxb and they are also the same.  HK0609 12 ea       HK7492 2 ea  HK7189 2 ea.

I have not changed the bearings on my 40-690 which are the same nor have I ordered the bearings.  I provide this information as something I have read on the internet and we all know what you read on the internet is true? ;)

Edited by JustLarry

The link that Larry gave I have watched and it is very through and worth the time. I have not replaced anything or greased yet but know this will need doing this year. I think I will have a engineer who is a friend of mine standing by to help. I know 4 of them. They are very particular on doing everything which is a good thing.

If you take those quantities and numbers with you to a bearing store and tell them that you want better quality tighter tolerance bearings for each of them it will cost you a few bucks more, but your saw will perform better than it did when new. I did this the last time that I rebuilt my DeWalt 788 type 1 and it made a huge difference in saw performance at a cost of only about $18 more total for all of the bearings. Any play at all in the back and forth movements produces noise and vibration. Tighter tolerance bearings significantly reduces these noises and vibrations. Look for a bearing or power transmission parts supplier in a larger city near you in the yellow pages. You will get replacement parts for less money or better parts for just slightly more if you buy from them instead of the saw parts supplier. Even Fastenal usually has better prices on bearings than the saw parts suppliers, but you may not be able to get the tighter tolerance bearings from them.

Charley

Help will be appreciated; My type 2 DW 788 has started to have issues; binding in the bearings --sometime knocks, sometmes does not!

Does anyone know where a bearing kit with all of the bearings is available; so I can have them on hand to replace all at one time.  I know I have several going out!

I only want to take it apart once; not several times. I also want to be able to do all of the bearings at one go!

It makes no sense to me to have it down and then search for each bearing, I think there should be an "overhaul" kits available like there are for engines!

Ralph,

Check out this video.. this same guy has an even better repair video in you tube. should be easy enough to find too..

Dick

heppnerguy