Backer Color

oldhudson

I'm working on this Steve Good pattern and because I don't have nearly the experience with scroll work as many of you I wanted an opinion on the backer color. The stock is a bit over  1/4" so it's a long way to the backer color. It looks like Steve used a black or dark brown. But if you are not looking directly at the cutting it's hard to see any backer color. At first I thought red would be good but for visibility perhaps white?

Anyway please give me you opinions and reasons if you care to share.

Thanks for reading.

I don't know what happened to the picture, it was there when I previewed?  Here is a link to the plan & pic:

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/01/you-hold-key-to-my-heart.html

Edited by oldhudson

My preference Berry when doing portraits is â…›" Baltic Birch with a black background attached. I also prefer them framed. This is my liking. Everyone has their own preference for a background. Go with the one to your liking and gut feeling. You will never be wrong.

post-20386-0-82025600-1455072140_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ron Johnson

Black works 80% of the time.  The other 20% you have to experiment and see what goes best.  Remember everyone's taste is different.  Even where you plan to hang the item as it may drive the colors.  For example if one was to hang a piece on a dark paneling wall a lighter color would be better then a dark.  Also consider if your piece is to be framed.  If using a brown colored frame black will not likely be the best choice for your backing. 

You are doing that "you hold the key to my heart" piece?  I normally use black on pictures like everyone else.  However this is not a picture and I assume it is for Valentine's Day, I'd sure be tempted to see what red would like with it.  Just have to throw a little mix in the discussion here.

I also prefer black for the background because it gives the most contrast to most items. However if you remember I choose red for the last box I made my wife and I think it was the better choice for this one. Like Paul said, if it is for Valentines Day, Red might be the better choice. Use your idea with the paper backer, I like that idea a lot.   Good luck, and let us see the end results

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-60702200-1455123952_thumb.jpg

I normally stay with black, especially for portrait work. With hearts and the like I change to red. Same applies to the piece depending on the theme. The piece you are asking about, looks to be black behind it, attach the backer board then cut the outside and sand. Replace the key and finish as you desire. Hope I understood your question.

Thanks to one and all for your comments and suggestions.

In the end I went to JoAnn's Fabric and found this item that I thought added some 'bling' to the project. It glued find and was easy to cut with scissors or an xacto knife. It was a couple of bucks.

post-18045-0-87099000-1455314026_thumb.jpg

I posted a couple pictures of the final project under the section "bragging rights".

I'm working on this Steve Good pattern and because I don't have nearly the experience with scroll work as many of you I wanted an opinion on the backer color. The stock is a bit over  1/4" so it's a long way to the backer color. It looks like Steve used a black or dark brown. But if you are not looking directly at the cutting it's hard to see any backer color. At first I thought red would be good but for visibility perhaps white?

Anyway please give me you opinions and reasons if you care to share.

Thanks for reading.

I don't know what happened to the picture, it was there when I previewed?  Here is a link to the plan & pic:

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/01/you-hold-key-to-my-heart.html

Complimentary colors work good