1st ever scroll project

rljohn56

compared to all of the artwork i have seen on this site since joining a month ago, this isn't much, but it is my very first!  spiral blade #5  was used(several broken in the process).  a lot harder than i thought just to cut a straight line!  I am so hooked now!

Amazing you did as good as you did!.here's one i did with a spiral 3' long

A member of our scroll saw club does primarily portraits and he's very good at them.  He learned how to scroll using spiral blades and says he just can't get the hang of straight blades.  That's pretty much the opposite of how most folks are, but it's testimony to how ingrained our habits and preferences can become if we let them.  My suggestion would be to use a straight blade to learn.  As others have said, you will have more control and I think the technique is more natural and intuitive.  After you feel comfortable with the straight blades, then mix in some projects using spirals.  Some patterns just lend themselves better to one or the other.  For spirals, look for patterns with few straight lines or sharp, inside corners.  Rule of thumb;  If wandering off a line or rounding out an inside corner is detrimental to the appearance, then use straight blades.

Ray

I cut exclusively with spirals and with practice you will be doing straight lines and curves with little problem.  As a spiral user I try never to use above a #3 and, depending on the wood, generally use a #1 or a 2/0.  They will cut a little slower than a #5 but I think you will be more pleased with the final product.  I suggest you get some of each and I think you will then want to set aside the #5.  Although you supposedly can cut in all directions with a spiral, I have not found that works very well for me for cutting sideways or pulling the work toward me as I am stressing the blade differently since I am sitting in front of the blade and not guiding as well or as straight.  This is from someone who mostly cuts 5/8 wood.  If cutting 1/4 or 1/8 wood the "cutting from any direction" would likely work much better.  My guess is your blade breakage will diminish significantly if you mostly cut straight ahead, feed at a rate that is acceptable to the blade and wood which requires some feeding pressure but should never require significant feeding pressure, and go to a smaller blade.  For spirals my blades of choice are either Flying Dutchman or Pegas.  Pegas is a little more agressive and not quite as smooth a cut but does better with Oak than FD does.  I generally use FD for Walnut but each piece of wood is unique.   You just keep experimenting until you find your happy place.  My work is not the quality of most of what you see on this site - even though it is not created with the same talent as others, it is still created with as much love and passion.  As Steve Good's pattern says:

post-8034-0-89553700-1462886548_thumb.jpg