Learning Scrollsawing

woodchux

Man, time to show my age. My 8th grade shop teacher had us cut a corner shelf with a coping saw for a class grade. My Mom enjoyed the finished project for many years. I played with that process on and off for a few years and then came across a man at a Shaker woods festival that was making beautiful pieces on a homemade scroll saw that used an old Singer sewing machine treadle for power. Talking with him I found that most of his patterns were Patrick Spielman's. A couple of trips to the library & a trip to a Hartville tool show and I have enjoyed it ever since.

For me it has turned into a great stress relief tool. I use it often when I'm working on another project if I need some "thinking time" or waiting for a glue-up to dry.

The internet is a great source for research but web sites like this one have tons of ideas and knowledge in one place.

I had spinal cord surgery in Dec 2015 and was not able to be mobile. A friend gave me an old Delta scroll saw. Before that I never even heard the word scroll saw. After a little research I was up and at it cutting away and letting my mind travel with the subject I was sawing.

Six months later here I am at Scroll Saw Village learning from the best. IMO....All the rehab in the world can't compete with my scroll sawing.

I have much to learn. The only wood I have cut on is baltic birch plywood and looking into getting to know what woods are what. Stains and finishes are a whole story unto itself. But this I do know. Let boiled linseed oil dry out in the basement before bring it up to display the piece...lol

I started doing scroll type cutting in high school shop with a coping saw and liked it. Then I was given a Dunlap jig saw (cheaper Sears line of tools). It was major frustration and broke more blades than I can count, but I managed to make some nice projects with it. However most were simple scroll work parts of cabinets and furniture.  I did scroll work like this for many years and went through two more used no-name jig saws. Then I got to try a true scroll saw (don't remember the brand) sometime back about 1980, and I just had to have one. I bought an imported Woodtek scroll saw from Woodworkers Supply, and went through 4 of them in a span of about 4 weeks because each one had a major construction flaw, but each was also a different kind of flaw, (maybe the rejects and last shipped of a production run?). When they ran out of the stock of these saws I got my money back, then later in the mid 1990's I bought a Delta Q3 saw  when they first came out. I've had to rebuild it several times due to my heavy use, but I'm still using it as my back-up saw. A few years later I bought a DeWalt 788 after trying one at a woodworking show. I've rebuilt my DeWalt a couple of times, putting in new tighter tolerance bearings, and lubricating it several other times. It only recently broke down on me when I was trying to cut 1 7/8 black walnut, but it was relatively simple to repair it. One of the linkage pieces broke and the new replacement was easy to install. I won't try cutting hard wood that thick any more. My DeWalt saw is getting old but has served me very well, and it's about time that I bought a new one. I'm now seriously considering an Excalibur saw and setting money aside to buy one. The Jet is interesting, but I don't like the table slot. For now, I'm staying with my plans to get the Excalibur.

Charley 

Been scrolling for approximately 20 years. I guess what got me interested in scroll sawing was seeing some scroll saw art on display at a trade show. Woodworking has always been one of my passions throughout most of my life. Taught myself by reading all I could and of course a lot of trial and error. I'm still on a learning curve and believe I always will be. That's what makes this hobby so fascinating and interesting.

Twelve years ago I bought a HF POS.  It died so I sent it back. They sent me another and the speed controller went out.  Trashed it.  Few years later friends talked my into a DeWalt.  That cut great but also died after 20 months.  I then found the most expensive scroll saw I could find, a Hegner Polymax-3. (2008)  I still have that saw plus other used saws.  Hegner saved me from quitting scrolling altogether.  I use my scroll saw almost  every day.  I spend about 35 hours a week in my shop.  Life is good!

I saw a gal with a booth filled with intarsia dogs and I could not believe how beautiful they were and wished I could do something like that. A little over ten years ago I moved and all I had was a 16 X 16 foot shop and thought about that booth of dogs so many years ago. I got on my computer and found a sight that sold intarsia patterns. I then proceeded to look at videos on YouTube. After sort of getting the idea, I drew myself a simple pattern and used my bandsaw to cut it out. After a lot of sanding I discovered to my surprise,that I could do it. After a few years of making intarsia pieces, I saw a little wooden basket that looked like it was woven and could not believe that it was cut on a scroll saw. I down loaded the pattern fron Steve Goods sight and fell in love with scrolling. That is my story

Welcome the The village. Truly a fun place to be

Dick

heppnerguy

I saw a gal with a booth filled with intarsia dogs and I could not believe how beautiful they were and wished I could do something like that. A little over ten years ago I moved and all I had was a 16 X 16 foot shop and thought about that booth of dogs so many years ago. I got on my computer and found a sight that sold intarsia patterns. I then proceeded to look at videos on YouTube. After sort of getting the idea, I drew myself a simple pattern and used my bandsaw to cut it out. After a lot of sanding I discovered to my surprise,that I could do it. After a few years of making intarsia pieces, I saw a little wooden basket that looked like it was woven and could not believe that it was cut on a scroll saw. I down loaded the pattern fron Steve Goods sight and fell in love with scrolling. That is my story

Welcome the The village. Truly a fun place to be

Dick

heppnerguy