Fixing Puzzles

Maryjo Hill

Hi, I am new to scroll sawing and am trying to find out some information on a few things. First, I made some puzzles that I think they turned out alright.  But, I have a little to much space around the puzzle between the frame. I used a #3 spiral blade and the puzzle moves a little in the frame.  Any Ideas?  Also, if you stain something to dark how do you lighten it? I made this for my Vet. but, the stain just looks so dark now that it dried. Just asking! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks so very much!

post-29847-0-23683700-1471042789_thumb.jpgpost-29847-0-83048100-1471042795_thumb.jpgpost-29847-0-63719100-1471042803_thumb.jpgpost-29847-0-32687600-1471043123_thumb.jpg

Trollmomjo

Hi Mary. There is an old saying in woodworking: "I cut it three times, and it's still to short". Meaning once you have cut it to small, you can't fix it. A spiral blade leaves too wide of a kurf.

For any puzzle, weather it's a zig saw puzzle or a stand up puzzle, you must use a flat blade. It makes a much thinner kurf. For jigsaw puzzles, you want to use a 2/0 or smaller blade. Flying Dutchman sells a puzzle blade that is a 3/0 skip tooth blade.

My advice is to recut the puzzle with a more appropriate blade.

Hi Mary. There is an old saying in woodworking: "I cut it three times, and it's still to short". Meaning once you have cut it to small, you can't fix it. A spiral blade leaves too wide of a kurf.

For any puzzle, weather it's a zig saw puzzle or a stand up puzzle, you must use a flat blade. It makes a much thinner kurf. For jigsaw puzzles, you want to use a 2/0 or smaller blade. Flying Dutchman sells a puzzle blade that is a 3/0 skip tooth blade.

My advice is to recut the puzzle with a more appropriate blade.

thanks for the tips and trick DGman.

I can't tell the thickness of the wood you are using. If you are using 1/4" thick wood then the Flying Dutchman puzzle blade is the best blade I have found.

If you are using 3/4" thick hardwoods such as cherry, walnut, and maple, the best blade I have found is the Pegas Modified Geometry #3,5,and 7. I have tried em all and switched to Pegas some time ago.

bb