Antler & Bone

zimmerstutzen

Is it difficult to cut antler and or bone on a scroll saw and does one type blade work better than others?

I was given some spatulated (flat) parts of some caribou and fallow deer antlers and I can cut perfect circles with a wet diamond coated hole saw.  When buffed out it shines like ivory.  I can cut the circle in two along the porous central pith and get two nice round pieces to work with.  Then I can cut a design in the antler as an earing or broach, etc.   

I've tried to cut deer antlers once. What I noticed, first off, is the smell, which is not good. Secondly, they were a little interesting to cut as there were hard and soft spots. I set up speed up and used a fairly thick, stout blade. I was just cutting off the buttons, so nothing intricate. So not sure how that would work.

Paul I would like to see that when your finished.

I cut it some time ago.  I was just playing around.  I suppose a person could make a pendent or something doing this.  Not nearly as nice as Ron's.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/image/9092-kokopelli-in-antler/

Edited by Scrappile

I cut it some time ago.  I was just playing around.  I suppose a person could make a pendent or something doing this.  Not nearly as nice as Ron's.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/image/9092-kokopelli-in-antler/

Paul you excell in all facets of scrolling ,Scrappile is an understatement