? for hawk owners

trackman

The tension arm won't stay down on my hawk 220vs.. It will work up as it is running is this normal? I have only used it a short time.  To use to the EX top feeding.  Only paid $125 for the saw to be a backup to my EX21 so can put some money in it. Thanks

Use a mirror and look under the arm where the tensioning lever feeds through.  If it is like mine, there is a set screw.  My guess is the cam works as an overcenter final tensioned position that depends upon that set screw.  If the set screw is worn, you might try turning it slightly to see if that helps.

The tension arm won't stay down on my hawk 220vs.. It will work up as it is running is this normal? I have only used it a short time.  To use to the EX top feeding.  Only paid $125 for the saw to be a backup to my EX21 so can put some money in it. Thanks

Can't help you with your saw problem but I can tell you I have fished Tims Ford lake a bunch. I really enjoyed going there.

PS - I made a boo boo. I see your are not from Winchester, Tennessee. If you were you would like fishing Tims Ford lake.

Edited by hawkeye10

Like Blaughn said there is a small set screw under the arm it is 3/32. It is a brass set screw the wears a bit over time or backs off I am not sure but it is normal. 

Just us a 3/32 allen wrench and tighten it a small amount 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time until the arm stays in place. I have to do this maybe once a year depending on how much I use my saw.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture I used my cell phone in selfie mode and it was a bit too close for a good focus.

Hope this helps. 

post-29702-0-02594300-1474117039_thumb.jpg

Like Blaughn said there is a small set screw under the arm it is 3/32. It is a brass set screw the wears a bit over time or backs off I am not sure but it is normal. 

Just us a 3/32 allen wrench and tighten it a small amount 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time until the arm stays in place. I have to do this maybe once a year depending on how much I use my saw.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture I used my cell phone in selfie mode and it was a bit too close for a good focus.

Hope this helps. 

More tips an tricks

Do you have a serial # for the saw???  Are the blade holders round or square???  There should be a set screw under that arm. 

If not then it is possible you have the rear tension knob set wrong for the blade size in use. Technically you are suppose to change that if you use different size blades. Most people find that happy medium and leave it alone.  What type knob is on the back of that saw. Probably a photo of the saw would be helpful. When you put the front tension arm in the on position is the blade tight enough or does it feel loose and not making a sharp ping if you pluck it. If you have the instruction manual it will tell you how to use that chart for blade sizes. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

post-23356-0-17283700-1474288223_thumb.jpgSerial # 29657, blade holders are square.  Used a mirror to look under the arm and there is no set screw there.  The back tension knob is set per the chart on the saw.  Using a #3 with the knob set at 12:30.  When I place the front tension lever back the blade is in proper tension (ping) but as you scroll the arm will work up.  As I have said I just got this saw at a good price to use as a backup for my EX21.  So I haven't used the hawk very much.  I am a top feeder and haven't taken the time to get the hang of bottom feeding.

post-23356-0-37649300-1474288241_thumb.jpg

post-23356-0-91256400-1474288255_thumb.jpg

Trackman

Your saw is a little older than mine but is a saw they updated right after the use of the barrel blade holders. It has all the modern tension arms and yes they did not have the set screw and they improved right after that. I found my manual and in it I found my notes. I bought my saw in 1998. I ran into the same problem you have and replaced that pivot arm in 2002. Boy the mind is a terrible thing to waste. I have no recollection of doing this :o Thanks for keeping records.  I bought my 226 a little after that so they already made the change on that arm. 

But anyway very easy to change and not expensive at all and I bet if you explain they may even send it free or give a discount. The packing slip does not have the price if I paid anything at all. I do not remember. I believe it was under warrenty. I can give you the stock # but they may have changed being a different company. Just tell them what it is and they will know right away. 

Top blade holder assembly 615-7000 replaces 615-4153

upper blade holder assembly 615-1182

Tension pin or called roll pin 716-0042

Press the roll pin out and the arm comes right out. Put new arm up and insert roll pin and you are scrolling again and yes the setscrew is adjustable so you may need to adjust after getting installed. You do not want the tension too tight or you will wear the screw down. All it does is gives some friction when the tension arm is pushed into position. As I said very easy to fix and takes 10 minutes. Give RBI  a call. They will know right away what  it is you need. Good luck and it is a great saw. I love mine and have many many many hours on it and many projects came off it. 

Good information John T. I wasn't sure when they made the changes. If it were my saw I would probably drill and tap it for the set screw. An still replace the the part. 

I love places like the forums where folks help each other!!

No problem. I simply forgot I had to do the same thing that long ago. It was good that I kept my notes on it and also the packing slip. As I recalled the parts were under warrenty. RBI made subtle changes over the years and are still making changes. They looked at some shortcomings of their saws and made improvements. I am sure there will be more. I recommend the RBI saw. I have scrolled on many saws over the years and own a few but my go to saw is my Hawk 220vs. That fix is actually a very easy fix. Push the pin out, install the arm and reinstall a pin.