Sanding Mops

Rockytime

There has been discussion on sanding mops. I purchased these on ebay. They are from China but they are three for $6 with free shipping which means they are probably only worth $2 with $4 shipping. I don't know. At any rate I thought for the price I would give them a try. They are NOT a sanding mop. They are 3" diameter and are a 80 grit. That is very course and must be used very gently especially on soft woods. They do remove fuzzies. I still hope to order a real sanding mop.

post-29885-0-25568800-1477672224_thumb.jpg

There has been discussion on sanding mops. I purchased these on ebay. They are from China but they are three for $6 with free shipping which means they are probably only worth $2 with $4 shipping. I don't know. At any rate I thought for the price I would give them a try. They are NOT a sanding mop. They are 3" diameter and are a 80 grit. That is very course and must be used very gently especially on soft woods. They do remove fuzzies. I still hope to order a real sanding mop.

I wish my phone camera would let me show you my home made sanding  mops  AKA flutter wheels very simple to make .Usea3/8' 3" long bolt a couple of washers an a nut .Cut long 4",5" strips of cloth sandpaper to look like sticks of gum.A a slice on each end in the middle about an 1",Drill a 3/8's hole in the center of the strips.Put the washer on the bolt ,then a load all the strip of cloth sand paper on then another washer ,a nut tighten an there you go,use on a drill press or drill,I made a 60 grit one just in case i needed i needed heavy duty.Believe it or not i could not find my other ones and tryed it on my delicate fret work and it did a perfect job and didn't hurt a thing.i was amazed.

Edited by amazingkevin

I have sanding mops and Mac mops that I use on my drill press. You can buy refill kits or make them for the sanding mop. I have made a couple using the Klingspor gold cloth backed sand paper. It is a lot of work to make the refill and I just buy them now.

I find the Mac mop is really good for more delicate items. The sanding mop is great for heavier sanding.