Broken saw with no repair part

vykus

about a week ago I stripped the nut that goes with the tension lever on Dremel 1800 and after considerable research online and at hardware stores I have not been able to find a replacement. The nut I need is a square 1/4 fine thread nut. it's easy to find the larger thread nuts. So what did I do, I attempted to create my own nut. It looked like I had done it correctly but for some reason it will still won't thread. I'm at a loss as to what to do. If I can't tension the blade the whole saw is useless. I am also right in the middle of a $60 commission. I don't have the money to buy a new saw. even a cheap one on craigslist, not if I want to buy my kids Christmas presents. On a long shot, does anyone have one of these that is broken down that you could cannibalize? I would be willing to pay shipping, I am getting desperate. 

post-18630-0-87139100-1480280568_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-96533500-1480280592_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-79935500-1480280620_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-64276000-1480280650_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-28957800-1480280681_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-39570800-1480280708_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-34816100-1480280735_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-46900800-1480280756_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-67034100-1480280774_thumb.jpg

Matt, I am sure you know what the nut is ....... but if the 1/4-28 will not run are you sure it is not metric ?.....Just asking because it is all i can think to ask......Also if the nut got stripped maybe the stud also got buggered up....is it possible to case the stud or bolt wit a fine thread die ?....Just thinking out loud here.

Edited by Scrolling Steve

Scrolling Steve has the right idea. For very little You could go to a hardware store and purchase a couple of metric nuts as well as a 1/4-28 just to identify the thread. Once you identify then you know what tap you need and perhaps even repair the offending nut to keep you going until you can make a proper one. I hope you can get out of this difficulty.

Hi, Vykus,

I surmise that the threaded rod and the nut are neither 1/4" nor metric.

These manufacturers like to thread their own sizes so that you MUST use

their replacement parts (in theory).

You can re-thread the original parts to a standard size thread but, it will have

to be small enough to allow you to tap both parts.

If you can replace the original parts with standard thread sizes, it would be much easier.

I could not find a schematic with enough clarity to see the parts and could not find an

owner's manual that would identify the parts.

Do you have a manual with the parts listed?

If you send a clear photo of how the threaded rod and the nut attach to your saw

and how they disassemble to spirithorse55 at hotmail dot com I'll let you know if

it looks like I am envisioning. In the mean-time, look at the schematic of a

Black and Decker scroll saw and see if it resembles yours. Those parts might be

interchangeable.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I've  used sae bolts which are a tad bigger than metric, cut a slice in the side so it kind of acts as a tap.?Bigger nuts tapped to the size you need?Jb weld epoxie for a quick fix?how about that glue where they glue lots of different materials to a coke bottle.how about a whole different nut and bolt? I'm thinking out loud.Pray about it!Talk to the hare ware guys they were in the know many years to fix problems.I gave my friend your saw and he dropped it upside down ,it

s history now and was brand new.He breaks alot of scroll work i give him too.

about a week ago I stripped the nut that goes with the tension lever on Dremel 1800 and after considerable research online and at hardware stores I have not been able to find a replacement. The nut I need is a square 1/4 fine thread nut. it's easy to find the larger thread nuts. So what did I do, I attempted to create my own nut. It looked like I had done it correctly but for some reason it will still won't thread. I'm at a loss as to what to do. If I can't tension the blade the whole saw is useless. I am also right in the middle of a $60 commission. I don't have the money to buy a new saw. even a cheap one on craigslist, not if I want to buy my kids Christmas presents. On a long shot, does anyone have one of these that is broken down that you could cannibalize? I would be willing to pay shipping, I am getting desperate. 

Would this work? at Mcmaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-square-nuts/=158aqhm

Scroll down to the third section (the 18-8 Stainless Square Nuts)

Good luck,

sam

Here is a picture of the little slot that the nut fits into in the arm. I can now confirm that it is a custom part, it is neither a 1/4 in or 6mm. I am aware of the service pack that contains this nut but I don't really have that much money for a nut at this time. I think I am going to try rethread the bolt to a 1/4 in. to match the nut I made. If I fuck it up a new one of those is included in the service pack that I would then be forced to buy. Wish me luck.

post-18630-0-93225500-1480468163_thumb.jpg