Louis XIV Clock

munzieb

Found this plan on Pinterest and took it to the copy shop to enlarge it and put on heavy paper. Used 3/16" BB for face and 3/4' pine for back base. I really enjoy working with the thin wood. I really have to go slow so I don't overshoot the line since it cuts so easy. Used a .03 drill and a Scroller puzzle blade and only broke 3 blades. My wife suggested the gold spray paint and pin nailed the face to the base. Learned an important lesson. Tried to touch up the holes from the nailer with the spray paint  with a brush and the color is slightly different. This may have to do with the drying agents in the paint??? My wife says I need to give the clocks a rest otherwise she will get TICKED with me. Not tock. LOL!

post-30052-0-15521000-1486477254_thumb.jpg

post-30052-0-14314700-1486477280_thumb.jpg

very nice job, metallic colors can vary in shade depending on the pressure that it is sprayed at. Low pressure it appears darker, high pressure it will look lighter, can't get any lower pressure that a brush will give. That's why the color looks darker, this is based on many years of doing bodywork and painting on cars.

Found this plan on Pinterest and took it to the copy shop to enlarge it and put on heavy paper. Used 3/16" BB for face and 3/4' pine for back base. I really enjoy working with the thin wood. I really have to go slow so I don't overshoot the line since it cuts so easy. Used a .03 drill and a Scroller puzzle blade and only broke 3 blades. My wife suggested the gold spray paint and pin nailed the face to the base. Learned an important lesson. Tried to touch up the holes from the nailer with the spray paint  with a brush and the color is slightly different. This may have to do with the drying agents in the paint??? My wife says I need to give the clocks a rest otherwise she will get TICKED with me. Not tock. LOL!

Most people ,Me included only shake a rattle can 20 seconds instead of a solid 2 minutes .holding the can closer than 18 inches lets a lot of the thinner in the can soak on top of the project causing problems.One of the main reasons for the thinner is to get the paint out of the can.When i'd paint cars,I'd open up the spray gun and dust the car from 3 feet away to get a nice tack coat for sequential coats closer to adhere too.This is a great looking project with the full bodied look of a hefty wooden clock.

Yes, metallic paints can be a real booger. Kevin gave great advise on shaking the can well. Even while spaying, give that can a few shakes as your changing positioning. Another mistake that happens to me is that I get the perfect distance, and then start sneaking up on the project to get all I can get out of the can. One has to realize that with spraying, over spray is a fact of life. Another bugaboo is when your just about finished with the perfect spray job, you get nozzle drip. I'll also put an opinion in that I don't like a natural finish on plywood, so you attempted what I would try as noted by my clock posted a few weeks ago. So a great effort.

Thanks gang for all the great and helpful comments. I enjoy the cutting more than the finishing. I work out of my garage and have to open the door when I spray. It can be cold at times. I appreciate Kevin's, Blake's and Zen Scroller's paint tips. I'll try the recommendations. I went with the plywood because of the ease of cutting and it's what I had in the shop that was left over from my wood gear clock project. I would have gone with solid wood but was concerned that the very thin cuts would have cracked or broken off. I may be making another clock. My wife's sister in Germany wants one (freight! Ouch!) She will get this one and I'll do another in a different color. Delft Blue/white? I'll post when I'm finished.