Help! oval frame

Uncle Ricky

could someone help me with some instructions on how to make an oval frame.

Richard you can make one of these and use it with a router. Look on You-tube on how to make one. Also they have them for sale at places like Rockler.

bqlqAbo.jpg

I made this plaque for one of my no-a-count grandsons.   :curse:  Well maybe he is okay but only when he is sleeping.   :thumbs:  He really likes to play soccer and is quite good.  He is the goal keeper.  

uQnBciE.jpg

Richard you can make one of these and use it with a router. Look on You-tube on how to make one. Also they have them for sale at places like Rockler.

bqlqAbo.jpg

I made this plaque for one of my no-a-count grandsons.   :curse:  Well maybe he is okay but only when he is sleeping.   :thumbs:  He really likes to play soccer and is quite good.  He is the goal keeper.  

uQnBciE.jpg

Thanks! I'll check this to.

bqlqAbo.jpg

uQnBciE.jpg

I'm curious to know how to use this.

You put the piece with the row of hols on the two bolts sticking out of the hex shaped piece. Their positions determine the size and The space determines the shape of the oval. A router mounted on the back side of where the three pieces are attached. The pieces act as skids to hold the router base level with the top of the hex piece, which is attached to the center of the board to be cut. The two slots in the hex piece are dovetailed and have mating pieces that slide in these dovetails. The bolts are mounted to these sliding pieces. Clear as mud, huh!II If you see one in motion it explains a lot. There are toys available made like this with a crank handle installed where the router would be. The kids love to crank them and watch the movement of the two dovetailed sliding pieces. 

Here is a video to watch. He only makes a 1/2 oval, but making the vertical slot twice as long and putting the two slots so they cross in the center of your stock will allow you to make a complete oval.

Notice how the two rollers in the separate slots work as he moves the router. 

There are other Youtube examples. Just do a search for "router oval jig" and you should find them.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL