ike

I just got back from the candy store ( Paxton lumber) bought 26 Board Feet of Popular  6" & 8" wide for $210 pr. BF. With the 12 BF I have now it should be enough for the sawing season.I had $200 left over from last years sales enough to pay table fees for this year.My  first sale for 2017 is in the first of April, Don't expect much but it' a start for 2017.

IKE

Edited by ike

What thickness do you use.  I am going to have some poplar sawn up this fall., or do you need kiln dried?

Perry it needs to be kiln dried. I buy mine 13/16th thick and one straight side. It's fairly smooth but I sand it starting with 120 grit then 180 and on to 220 grit. It really doesn't take that much sanding to get it smooth. I am talking about making stand up puzzles. I pay about 150 a board foot down here. I will be different depending on where you live.

Don, I disagree, it doesn't need to be kiln dried IMO. The stock can be cut and left to air dry for a while, then it is the very best to use for puzzles and the like. I hardly ever use kiln dried lumber, I usually have all of my stock sawn at a small bandsaw mill.Yes, kiln dried lumber is optimum, but it's not always necessary to use it.

Len

What thickness do you use.  I am going to have some poplar sawn up this fall., or do you need kiln dried?

Perry, if your going to get some poplar milled, you better be right there when it gets cut so you can coat the ends of the boards to protect them from splitting. Poplar is really bad for splitting and twisting, it takes special care to preserve it.

Len

I just got back from the candy store ( Paxton lumber) bought 26 Board Feet of Popular  6" & 8" wide for $210 pr. BF. With the 12 BF I have now it should be enough for the sawing season.I had $200 left over from last years sales enough to pay table fees for this year.My  first sale for 2017 is in the first of April, Don't expect much but it' a start for 2017.

IKE

Load us up with your cuts and get plenty of film for pictures!

Don, I disagree, it doesn't need to be kiln dried IMO. The stock can be cut and left to air dry for a while, then it is the very best to use for puzzles and the like. I hardly ever use kiln dried lumber, I usually have all of my stock sawn at a small bandsaw mill.Yes, kiln dried lumber is optimum, but it's not always necessary to use it.

Len

Len on second thought I did misspeak as I have not tried using air dried lumber. On some things it might not matter but on others it could.  (I think)   :D

I have a stack of lumber( oak, walnut,ash, cherry mixture) about 5'X3'X 4" air drying for about a year I checked it the other day and It is at 8% moisture, so it is ready to plain. what you get from lumber yards is about 10% moisture when planed, I have used air dried for several years now. When stacking I paint the ends with a good heavy coat to keep it from splitting.

IKE