BLO & Watco storage.

hawkeye10

I have both that is over 8 years old and has not gone bad. I keep in the can it came in. The lids do not close tight any more from build up product on them. Keep in my basement shop. If you keep out of the heat should be fine. I do save some used empty cans of mineral spirits and acetone and denatured alcohol for transfer some times or at least just the cap. Just threw out about 15 empty cans when I cleaned a section of the shop. 

I have both that is over 8 years old and has not gone bad. I keep in the can it came in. The lids do not close tight any more from build up product on them. Keep in my basement shop. If you keep out of the heat should be fine. I do save some used empty cans of mineral spirits and acetone and denatured alcohol for transfer some times or at least just the cap. Just threw out about 15 empty cans when I cleaned a section of the shop. 

John the jar or danish oil gelled up and when I tried mixing it up again not all of it did mix. It's just got me wondering.

I had some Watco Danish oil go bad and maybe the BLO. The Danish Oil was more than a can full because I needed enough in my container to do a project. I then poured it into a glass jar and put the top on tight. So when you guys are storing which ever one you use how do you store it?

Maybe something inadvertently got in the can and had a chemical reaction to do that.I know a few things in cans that if the accelerator gets in just a smidgen the whole can will set up.Don't know what could make Danish do that?

A complicated process may be an old wives' tale but I have heard that a blast of compressed air just before closing prevents skim over. Commercial dusters don't really show just what they contain and the risk of splashback is there doing it. A  lengthy page about this that cites Benjamin Moore on this topic is here https://www.google.com/patents/US5911251 I'm not a chemical engineer but just about everyone will have experienced skim over on a partially used finishing product.  

I also store mine in the original container. I buy the quart cans of clear Danish Oil for my projects

The enemies of finish are air, sunlight, and temperature. I store my finish in the original container out of direct sunlight and my shop never goes below 50 degrees in the winter. If I mix finish say Poly and MS or BLO and MS I will put them in a glass jar but I keep that jar out of direct sunlight and I only mix what I will use in a week or so. I never use glass container for long term storage.

While I have a can of BLO that I opened 5 or more years ago that is still good I seldom have Danish oil more then a year. I like Danish oil and use a lot of it. I probably go through a quart can and a half a year.

My use of Watco Danish oil goes back to when I started some 30 years ago and still love it. I normally make projects that I use the dipping method. I will take about 3 or 4 gallons of Danish oil and pour in a large container. I dip the project and let drain and wipe down. I then use a funnel and pour the remaining back into the same original cans. That is why some of my oils are so old. I do this all outside under the bright sunlight. But after I return to can I take back in soon so that it does not get too hot. heat will set that stuff up. I clean container with acetone and it is good for next time. Easiest method to apply and the finished product looks great. 

Don, I keep my BLO/MS mix in a glass mason jar. And I keep my unused BLO in its original can. I have never had a failure of either.

I have several used cans of Danish oils that are years old that are still good.

Dan some of us in the south use our mason jars for something else.  :lol: Just kidding. I did strain that gell that I was talking about and the Watco looked good so I used it. That was earlier today and so so good. I am down to a pint and need to get some more. The best price I have found is from Rockler and use their free shipping.