Sawdust Cloud

Ugh, my ShopVac died a couple of days ago... as in burning smell, smoke in the air... I use it in conjunction with a Dust Deputy and it works GREAT.  I didn't realize how much dust it was truly sucking up until I don't have it.  Now I leave my cutting area and I'm covered head to toe with fine dust.

Fortunately it was a heavy duty one with a good warranty and I emailed them yesterday.  They replied today to let me know they're shipping me a replacement motor.  Very cool.  They didn't even ask for a receipt.  Thank goodness since I didn't have it.  I just bought it back in October.

I have it hooked up to my foot pedal so that it comes on and off with my saw.  I had wondered if that would be stressful on the motor and I guess the answer is yes.  But, oh well, it works great and it'll be worth the money if I have to replace the vac every so often.  Just another cost of doing business.

Edited by Iguanadon

I think if this happen to me.. I be more worried about damage to my scroll saw motor or circuit board than the vac..If you're plugging this into the same circuit.. 

I think if I would going to do something like this.. I'd buy a separate foot switch for the vac. and plug it into a separate outlet / circuit. this I would mount a piece of flat metal to each of the peddles of the foot switch.. this way you only stepping on one foot switch but actually turning on two with them linked together.. A foot switch is cheaper than a vac every few months.. JMO

Kevin 

2 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Ugh, my ShopVac died a couple of days ago... as in burning smell, smoke in the air... I use it in conjunction with a Dust Deputy and it works GREAT.  I didn't realize how much dust it was truly sucking up until I don't have it.  Now I leave my cutting area and I'm covered head to toe with fine dust.

Fortunately it was a heavy duty one with a good warranty and I emailed them yesterday.  They replied today to let me know they're shipping me a replacement motor.  Very cool.  They didn't even ask for a receipt.  Thank goodness since I didn't have it.  I just bought it back in October.

I have it hooked up to my foot pedal so that it comes on and off with my saw.  I had wondered if that would be stressful on the motor and I guess the answer is yes.  But, oh well, it works great and it'll be worth the money if I have to replace the vac every so often.  Just another cost of doing business.

I have the 6HP Ridgid shop vac and I can't believe it's still running. I would say it's around eight years old and it's the most used tool in my shop. Like you I can't do without a shop vac so I bought another.

Just got an email that the replacement motor for my Shop-Vac is on the way, it'll be here Tuesday.

In the meantime I hooked up a small shop-vac I had sitting around to my Dust Deputy and it's actually working pretty well.

Here is my setup.  I cut inside the plastic "room" and I have all of this sitting outside of it so it doesn't collect dust. The hose from the Dust Deputy runs into my cutting room and I have it strapped to the underside of my saw, under the little hole the blade goes thru and it sucks at least 80% of the sawdust.  It's fantastic.

2017-05-05_1640

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think if this happen to me.. I be more worried about damage to my scroll saw motor or circuit board than the vac..If you're plugging this into the same circuit.. 

I think if I would going to do something like this.. I'd buy a separate foot switch for the vac. and plug it into a separate outlet / circuit. this I would mount a piece of flat metal to each of the peddles of the foot switch.. this way you only stepping on one foot switch but actually turning on two with them linked together.. A foot switch is cheaper than a vac every few months.. JMO

Kevin 

Don't understand how running shop vac with the same foot switch as the saw would hurt the saw.   Been running my EX this away for 5 years with no problem.

6 hours ago, 125 CSL said:

Hate getting sawdust in my coffee. Work hard to keep it under control for that reason.

Kind of looks like the shop vac I have(6 gallon). Good to hear the company will replace a burned out motor.

Yep, 6 gallon Shop-Vac, this one.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-6-Gallon-3-Peak-HP-Shop-Vacuum/50159051

I had the manual and pulled up the website, filled out the online form and they emailed me the next day letting me know they'd send me a new motor.  I was very pleased.  Good service.

i've got a BM - 26 Hawk, & I don't have all that fancy stuff hooked to it. If ya point the blower tube towards the side, all the dust doesn't end up in your lap, or on your shirt. Sure, you're goin' to get some, but that's part of it. I don't spend to much time worryin' about the dust on or around me, as I do what's gettin' in the motor & switches. I keep them blown out after I quit every evening. 

I've been scrollin' a day or two, & ain't lost a motor yet. I had to finally replace the vs & power switch on my CW - 40. My shop is fairly small, & I don't have room for much of dust system. I do what I can, but it is what it is. I can open my shop up when the weather is decent, & I don't worry much about dust from my scroll saw. It's the other tools that create dust.

On 5/5/2017 at 3:45 PM, Iguanadon said:

Just got an email that the replacement motor for my Shop-Vac is on the way, it'll be here Tuesday.

In the meantime I hooked up a small shop-vac I had sitting around to my Dust Deputy and it's actually working pretty well.

Here is my setup.  I cut inside the plastic "room" and I have all of this sitting outside of it so it doesn't collect dust. The hose from the Dust Deputy runs into my cutting room and I have it strapped to the underside of my saw, under the little hole the blade goes thru and it sucks at least 80% of the sawdust.  It's fantastic.

2017-05-05_1640

Looks like you got everything set up and ready for bear.back up is good for everything!

8 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

i've got a BM - 26 Hawk, & I don't have all that fancy stuff hooked to it. If ya point the blower tube towards the side, all the dust doesn't end up in your lap, or on your shirt. Sure, you're goin' to get some, but that's part of it. I don't spend to much time worryin' about the dust on or around me, as I do what's gettin' in the motor & switches. I keep them blown out after I quit every evening. 

I've been scrollin' a day or two, & ain't lost a motor yet. I had to finally replace the vs & power switch on my CW - 40. My shop is fairly small, & I don't have room for much of dust system. I do what I can, but it is what it is. I can open my shop up when the weather is decent, & I don't worry much about dust from my scroll saw. It's the other tools that create dust.

I use a box fan with filter next to my scroll saw.  If the saw doesn't make dust then were is all the dust coming from that gets into the filter?  My saw sets in front of a window and when the sun is right you can see small dust in the air that you may not see without the sun.  I also have a jet air filter system that I have to clean out the filter once a week.  I don't do any amount of big sanding just prep for the scroll saw boards.  

I think my post said "not all the dust" but most of it. I have two fans set up, but thats the extent of my dust collection. Suddenly I get the feelin' Amazing Kevin & a few others are laughin' at me:| I've made my shop set up work for me. It may not work for you. I guess that's why we all have our own shops.

Sorry to push your button scrollsaw703 but when you said "It's the other tools that create dust" lead me to think you were saying the saw does't make dust.  You are right everybody has to set there shop up so it works for them.

A friend was building his house and people would stop an tell him how he should be doing it.  He got tired of being told so he made a pile of cut off 2x4s some nails and a hammer.  Told the next person "I will build my house the way I want it, you take that material and build your own".

I have no powered dust control at all I just annoy the wife when the dust build s up she storms to the door has a blast at me  and job done dust all blown out simples, at all other times I use the proper electrical type but it is good to use the human effect sometimes feel free to try my method 

Edited by blights69

you didn't push any buttons, trackman. I just don't pay much attention to the "mess" from the scroll saw, as my bigger tools create more of a dust cloud than my scroll saw. I do my best to keep my scroll saw blown out & clean, same as as my planer & table saw, but I guess my point really was where do yo you draw the line at dust control? In a small shop, imo, dust control is tough. Everything you do creates dust. So, in turn, I take projects one action at a time. That was what I meant by opening my shop up. When I use the planer, I try to open every window & one door so the dust goes outside. I do have a small shop vac hooked to my sanders. But my scroll saw doesn't have anything.

I have a 2 gal shop vac hooked up to my saw via foot peddle with it I have a shop vac air cleaner and they both get a lot of dust The shop vac gets the larger  dust and the air cleaner gets the fine mist, I also use a face mask, in a small shop you need something like that or you would be sitting in a cloud of dust.

IKE