Sanding Mop Question

jbrowning

Jim, about a year ago I started using a scotchbrite ball (red) that I found at Harbor Freight. I either use it on my drill press or on a hand held drill. Now, I almost never use sandpaper or an exacto knife to clean off cutting fuzz and I make sure I hit it from all directions. Even delicate cuts are not affected as long as I don't press too hard. For about $10, its worth a try.

20170710_153328.jpg

20170710_153335.jpg

IF use the real "Sanding Mop" which is from Klingspor, you will need to buy a mandrill and then the grits of fillers you want. 

I have a Sanding Mop, it works great and I also have the Mac Mops, they work great also.  I think the Mop is more for contoured pieces and the Mac for flat, but for what you want to do, either will work.  A little spendy, yes, but like stated, last a long long time.

3 hours ago, jbrowning said:

So I'm looking at getting a sanding mop to clean up the fuzzies that I have on my finished dragons. Is there a kit that has all the pieces in it that I will be needing to use the sanding mop? I have a drill press that I will be attaching this to.

Thanks

Jim

Jim I have been using the Mac Mop and really like them. I use the 240 grit the most.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07103/?inMed=GSTORE&dfw_tracker=18711-7848&gclid=Cj0KEQjwy4zLBRCOg6-4h6vs3cUBEiQAN-yzfn5Qz-uJ5OBsU1ERXE0_peFR17DiOz5aFRCvt1v7WdAaAsBN8P8HAQ

8 hours ago, munzieb said:

Jim, about a year ago I started using a scotchbrite ball (red) that I found at Harbor Freight. I either use it on my drill press or on a hand held drill. Now, I almost never use sandpaper or an exacto knife to clean off cutting fuzz and I make sure I hit it from all directions. Even delicate cuts are not affected as long as I don't press too hard. For about $10, its worth a try.

20170710_153328.jpg

20170710_153335.jpg

I'm going to get one of those they look very gentle,Thanks!

Run, don't walk to get yourself a sanding mop. You will not believe the amount of time and aggravation you'll save yourself. The scotch brite is a good little one for getting rid of the warm fuzzy s. I do a lot of intarsia, so the larger ones with the coarser grits especially are good for both sanding and shaping and then revert to the finer grit for just sanding. You will barely pick up the paper for hand sanding.

So the sanding mop I have to buy the mandrel and the sanding paper pieces and put together where are the Mac Mops come assembled already?

If I go with the mac mops which size do you all suggest?

As far as grits go, I was thinking like a 120 and a 220 should work for me.

What do you all think? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Jim

I have the 7" x 2", only size I have tried but I really like it.  I have 180 and 240 grits and a 120 due by tomorrow.  It appears to me that theys sand finer than the equal grit sheet paper.  The 180 is the one I have ended up using the most and ordered the 120 grit for when I need more aggressive sanding.  The only thing I have used the 240 for is light sanding over a finish like poly or shellac to smooth it.  This is my experience, others may have different info.  I have only been using them for about a month.  I usually mount mine in my lathe to use.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little follow up to the sanding mop situation. I ended up getting the mac mop and it did a great job on the outside of the pieces, but what do you use for the inside of the pieces? Is there a smaller sanding mop that works for this or is it done by hand?

Thanks

Jim

On 8/3/2017 at 5:46 AM, jbrowning said:

Just a little follow up to the sanding mop situation. I ended up getting the mac mop and it did a great job on the outside of the pieces, but what do you use for the inside of the pieces? Is there a smaller sanding mop that works for this or is it done by hand?

Thanks

Jim

By turning or slanting the piece, I an able to get a lot of the frizzies with the mac mop.  I mount my Mac Mop on my lathe.  There are two other tools I use for what I can't get.  I scrape with an X-acto knife blade, small one, and a fine wire brush in my Dremel works great also.