King Scroll Saw

Dave Monk

If it is as good as an Ex. it is a good price.  That is what I paid for a 21" Ex, if I remember correctly.  King is a Canadian company, maybe some of out Canadian members know more about the company.  I wonder why they left out the 21".  It was the most popular if the the Ex saws.

From what I read, that does not include a stand (I could have read wrong, but I didn't see it listed in the things included).  Wouldn't matter to me, I like my own cabinets, but you would have to add a stand to the price.

4 hours ago, rjweb said:

From what i heard that this King company is like our Harbor Freight in the USA, I like the looks of it, but time will tell, RJ

I don't think Woodcraft would sell HF quality tools.They sell Jet and Dewalt And sold Excalibur .The Woodcraft in Delaware now sells Hegner.The first and only store to do it.I guess they made a deal with Advance to try it out .Of course they are only a few Miles apart.

These are made by the same company that made the Excalibur saws. So these are the exact same saws just with different stickers and name. The reason I believe they didn't include a 21" is because the Jet scroll saw is a 21" and are made by the same company. I believe I read that somewhere, not for sure though.

The Excalibur was originally made by General International of Canada, then they shipped their production overseas (like so many companies). Had them made for General International.  King is a different company... or am I wrong, wouldn't be the first time.  They may make the King-Industrial tools in the same factory in Taiwan or where-ever.  Like I say could be wrong, but if it is the same company, why did they change the name of the saw?  Excalibur had a great reputation. 

I hope someone purchases one soon and does a review of it.  Maybe Steve Good will get a chance to do a review.

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, TheWoodArtist said:

These are made by the same company that made the Excalibur saws. So these are the exact same saws just with different stickers and name

No, they're made by the same manufacturer (factory). It's a different company (front end) telling them what to build and what is acceptable.

I had a 1988 Mustang. Made by the same company that put out the '71 Boss 351.  1971 Ford would have been ashamed to put their name on 1988's mustang.

To clear a few things up, the original Excalibur saws were made by a company named Summerville Designs in Canada. The same company designed and manufactured the type 1 DeWalt 788. The Excalibur saws had a top lifting arm. An optional foot pedal to lift the top arm was available. The saw came in a 20 and 30 inch,

General made woodworking tools in Canada. They made table saws, band saws, planners and jointer and other woodworking tools. They also had a division called General International. You can guess what that means. They imported tools from China and Taiwan. Somewhere down the line, General international bought the Excalibur line and moved the manufacturing to Taiwan along with the DeWalt 788. They improved the design of the Excalibur saws, which became the EX line and the DeWalt saw became the type 2. 

It has been a common practice in tool manufacturing  to build tools on the same line for different distributors. It's up to the distributor to provide their own quality control. So even if the tools look alike, they may not be the same quality or have the same features.

I don't know anything about King Tools, but just because it looks like an EX, it doesn't mean it's the same quality.

Woodcraft sells a line of tools with the Woodriver name. They are all made in China and Taiwan. If you look at the Woodriver 16" scroll saw, it looks just like several other brands.

So, the name hasn't  changed, a different distributor is now selling them in the U.S.

Do you think the same company makes the new seyco saw? and of coarse Seyco has their hands in the specs and quality... 

Think I would stick with high end saws such as Hawk or Hegner.. just don't see much added benefit to one of these over the much cheaper Dewalt.. unless you needed the tilting head.. If I were to buy a new Dewalt.. and was looking for longevity.. I'd buy it and take it apart.. clean out their grease and fill them up with synthetic grease.. I think one would last a good amount of time doing this.   

I have 2 EX already. 21 & 30 and only looking to get a 16" to take to shows/fairs with me. I was looking at the dewalt but have went away from that because of the things I've been reading and mainly because it don't have a stay up arm without buying the lift support. To be honest, no more than it would be used I'm seriously thinking about a Craftsman or Porter Cable because of price. I started out with a Craftsman back in 2009 and then went with a Porter Cable in 2012 and just recently we to the EX saws last year. So I am comfortable with them as far as how good they are. I do understand they wouldn't last as a production saw however, they would only be used at shows/fairs and some of them it wouldn't be used at all just there to show what I use to make projects. I already have a video of me making projects that I show on a flat screen hooked to my computer and a few photos of me cutting. Just have been thinking about getting a saw to have on hand also. My Ex's are bolted to tables in the shop plus they would be a little heavy and take up space if I took one of them. As far as these saws. I've talked to folks that live in Canada where they've been for sale for a while and they use them saws and stand by as them being good saws. I haven't checked into these saws just yet as the Woodcraft store I use hasn't gotten one for me to check out yet. They've told me they would contact me when they get them and allow me to check them out and use them a little as long as I would allow them to get a review for them to use. Of course I'm all for that.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:55 PM, TheWoodArtist said:

I have 2 EX already. 21 & 30 and only looking to get a 16" to take to shows/fairs with me. I was looking at the dewalt but have went away from that because of the things I've been reading and mainly because it don't have a stay up arm without buying the lift support. To be honest, no more than it would be used I'm seriously thinking about a Craftsman or Porter Cable because of price. I started out with a Craftsman back in 2009 and then went with a Porter Cable in 2012 and just recently we to the EX saws last year. So I am comfortable with them as far as how good they are. I do understand they wouldn't last as a production saw however, they would only be used at shows/fairs and some of them it wouldn't be used at all just there to show what I use to make projects. I already have a video of me making projects that I show on a flat screen hooked to my computer and a few photos of me cutting. Just have been thinking about getting a saw to have on hand also. My Ex's are bolted to tables in the shop plus they would be a little heavy and take up space if I took one of them. As far as these saws. I've talked to folks that live in Canada where they've been for sale for a while and they use them saws and stand by as them being good saws. I haven't checked into these saws just yet as the Woodcraft store I use hasn't gotten one for me to check out yet. They've told me they would contact me when they get them and allow me to check them out and use them a little as long as I would allow them to get a review for them to use. Of course I'm all for that.

Seen a brand new EX-16 on ebay still boxed.. price is $550.. Not sure what a new one cost.. but the new King one is $599.. just my opinion... but I'd pay $50 more and have the option to return it.. or if nothing more.. for the warranty.. If they put that one on ebay down a bit more.. it could be an awesome deal..   

Well, Dave, now you know.  I guess someone needs to get their hands on one of these saws and let us know if they are of the same "caliber as the Excalibur" (sounded pretty good,huh).  If it is, then my opinion is, it is a better made, smoother running, quieter and longer lasting saw than a DeWalt.  I have owned both.

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, Carvinggirl said:

Thinking about getting a new King 16” scroll to replace an older Delta because in the Delta, for me at least, its a challenge to mount the blade underneath the table in the clamp correctly as the clamp swivels up and down.

any thoughts on the King to share?

King is a good saw.. it's made by the same company that makes the Pegas and the ( older ) excaliburs.. it's basically a re- bagged excalibur.. I believe the 16" Excalibur i also the same saw.. but the 21" saw they move production to China and they have been a lot of trouble going on with the china made saw.. 

I'm with RJ though.. if you can swing the extra cost of the 21" I'd go with a Pegas..