Newer than new

DeanH

I am so new, my scroll saw machine hasn't even arrived yet! So total NEWBIE, to scroll sawing, and extremely interested in learning. 

In waiting on my machine to arrive, I searched YouTube and found Scroll Saw Goodies page, and enjoyed the tutorials. I knew I just had to join this site and learn from the best.

Originally from the great state of IOWA, but during my active duty service in Germany, I met a German girl. Well, that is the end of that long story. So anyway, I now live in Germany, but with my global travels, I get back home now and then to visit family/friends. 

My goals are to not only learn how to use my saw machine, but to combine it with other hobbies to end up with unique products.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:28 PM, DeanH said:

I am so new, my scroll saw machine hasn't even arrived yet! So total NEWBIE, to scroll sawing, and extremely interested in learning. 

In waiting on my machine to arrive, I searched YouTube and found Scroll Saw Goodies page, and enjoyed the tutorials. I knew I just had to join this site and learn from the best.

Originally from the great state of IOWA, but during my active duty service in Germany, I met a German girl. Well, that is the end of that long story. So anyway, I now live in Germany, but with my global travels, I get back home now and then to visit family/friends. 

My goals are to not only learn how to use my saw machine, but to combine it with other hobbies to end up with unique products.

Once i found SSV i need not go anywhere else .Everything you need is here ,Very helpful friends,free patterns,jokes,free breakfast on and on.I can't miss a day coming here as there too much to miss .Welcome home friend!

19 hours ago, Aggie said:

Welcome from Germany,

I'm also ex Army that stayed over here after I got out of the army. I'm living in Erlangen how about you?

I just started scrolling in April it's a great hobby and this is a great place to call scrolling home.

I am in Miesau, near Ramstein Air Base, in the Kaiserslautern area.

Another Tennessee welcome and I thank you, Aggie and others here for your service to our Country and the world.  Glad you both found your "homes" there.  Home is where we make it I firmly believe.  Glad you found us and look forward to seeing your work when you get your saw.  Remember, everybody started where you are starting - brand new - putting their hands on the saw for the first time.

Welcome Dean. You are in the right place. I bought my first saw 6 months ago and found the village while I was waiting for it to arrive. This place has been key to my progress. There is so much knowledge on this site it blows my mind sometimes. Everyone is friendly and always happy to help with any question you will have.

Thank you everyone!  I purchased a local German brand called Scheppach.  No idea if it is good or not at this point, but fit the budget at the time and figured to start out, it would work.

Scroll Saw Deco XL Scheppach with Foot switch - 230-240V 50Hz 125W - 50mm

NEW STANDARDS FOR MODEL AND HOBBY. PRECISE OR COMPLICATED CUTS ON WOOD, PLASTIC, METAL, PLEX GLAS OR PLASTER ARE CHALLENGES FACED BY THOSE MAKING MODELS AND HANDICRAFT WORKERS.

• Cutting height / depth: 50 / 406 mm
  • Saw blade length 127 mm
  • Table adjustment 45 °
  • Variable speed 550-1600 min-1
  • One-step design – press once to turn on, release to turn off
  • LED light and foot pedal switch comes standard
  • Accepts pin blades and plain end blades
  • Quick release blade tension knob allows quick and easy blade change
  • Nearly vibration free, allowing you to work with precision for professional looking results
  • Blower keeps the working area free of dust

41crUxxi1XL.jpg

Welcome from Arizona.  so glad you found us in The Village. I was in Germany a couple of years ago and could not believe how friendly everyone is there. I can easily understand why you elected to stay there to live. Everything is so beautiful and clean there. Take you time with you cutting and start with what looks like easy patterns and then gradually work into more difficult ones once you realize the ones you have previously cut is coming easy to you. That way you will only enjoy what you are doing and not get discouraged as you progress. feel free to ask any questions and be prepared to receive many helpful replies. That is one of the things the people here love to do, share their knowledge and skills with each other

Dick

heppnerguy