New Excalibur

tonylumps

After looking at the prices for parts on Seyco I have decided to just buy a new Ex I made them an offer and they excepted.It was cheaper than trying to stock spare parts.there are still a lot of Excalibur saws out there.The Seyco saw just does not turn me on. I don't like the way you have to Tilt the head.And i really do not like the the Frame and saw Head are seperate But It looks like the Excalibur. Has anything else changed.These are my personal thoughts I just do not like to change things if it is not broke I have been very comfortable with my EX So this is an Insurance Policy so to speak

Nothing wrong with the Ex.  Did Seyco have one for sale?  Is that where you got the new Ex?  I agree with the head tilting, I never used it but I think I would like the Ex's turn knob method better.  I plan on doing some inlaying and think the Ex would have been easier for tilting the head back and forth, I shall see.  But, don't short change the Seyco.  I have had both now and except for a couple little things they are the same.  I do love the bigger table, but did not care for the magnetic cover.  I have since made my own cover out of masonite and can insert zero clearance disks in it, same setup I had put on my Ex.

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Nothing wrong with the Ex.  Did Seyco have one for sale?  Is that where you got the new Ex?  I agree with the head tilting, I never used it but I think I would like the Ex's turn knob method better.  I plan on doing some inlaying and think the Ex would have been easier for tilting the head back and forth, I shall see.  But, don't short change the Seyco.  I have had both now and except for a couple little things they are the same.  I do love the bigger table, but did not care for the magnetic cover.  I have since made my own cover out of masonite and can insert zero clearance disks in it, same setup I had put on my Ex.

Not from Seyco Got off of Ebay made an offer and she took it.Still wrapped up with bands on the box.i am not short changing the Seyco Plus I did not want to spend 1000.00 for a saw if i did not need it. I would go for the King saw first It looks identical to my EX. and is only 550.00I don' need a larger table

IMG_0143.JPG

Edited by tonylumps

You got a great find there.  Hegner is my favorite saw followed by the Ex than the Seyco,  that is of the saws I have owned.  I would love to try a Hawk, but have not had the opportunity yet.  I am anxious to hear from someone that owns or has owned an Ex., that has purchased the King saw or at least tried one.  I want to know if it is comparable to the Ex.  I fear they must have cut some corners to sell it that cheap. 

Anyway, congrats on your Ex find.  If I got a good buy on one I would be mighty tempted.

4 hours ago, tonylumps said:

Not from Seyco Got off of Ebay made an offer and she took it.Still wrapped up with bands on the box.i am not short changing the Seyco Plus I did not want to spend 1000.00 for a saw if i did not need it. I would go for the King saw first It looks identical to my EX. and is only 550.00I don' need a larger table

IMG_0143.JPG

Glad to see someone here got that saw... I kept watching it and the wheels was spinning.. I always wanted to try a EX but.. I really don't need another saw.. with the two Hawks and the Dewalt..  Plus I am saving my cash for other things I really could use.. But I almost made an offer on it as well.. I felt the $550 they was asking was high considering for $50 more you can get a new King with the warranty and an option to possibly return it if there was an issue..

Was also watching a new ( old ) Hawk 216 still boxed.. however that guy seem to think he had a $600 - 1000 machine.. While still new in the box.. to me.. I pay a little more and get a new BM series way before I spent that kind of $$ on a 216.. 

40 minutes ago, dgman said:

It's the new Jet saw that is bottom feed only.

Rant on.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing a single bleeping chart listing all the old saws, all the new saws, with columns noting if it's top/bottom/both feeding, table size, what tilts where etc. Individual reviews are nice but they're a pain in the badonkadonk (No, Windows 10, don't auto-correct that to belladonna - I know what I said) when trying to comparison shop.

Same goes for the names. Old Excalibur, new Excalibur, Seyco, King, Lego whatever - this saw is supposedly the same saw as that one, which is the same design as that 3rd one but with a different color and the name is changed to protect the innocent, except when it's sold in Canada by Busy Bee but not by Princess Auto because, well you know why.

Just give me one simple chart and be done with it.

Rant off.

10 hours ago, tonylumps said:

After looking at the prices for parts on Seyco I have decided to just buy a new Ex I made them an offer and they excepted.It was cheaper than trying to stock spare parts.there are still a lot of Excalibur saws out there.The Seyco saw just does not turn me on. I don't like the way you have to Tilt the head.And i really do not like the the Frame and saw Head are seperate But It looks like the Excalibur. Has anything else changed.These are my personal thoughts I just do not like to change things if it is not broke I have been very comfortable with my EX So this is an Insurance Policy so to speak

Enjoy your new toy!

5 hours ago, hotshot said:

I'm glad to hear someone else that prefers the original EX design.  I like some of what I saw in the New Seyco,  but still, I really like the design of my EX.  I could enjoy either saw, but it's better to have options, so I'm rooting for the rebrands of the EX design.

Was it patent infringement  the reason for the design of the Seyco or was it because they could get more saws in a shipping container .But to do away with the tilt mechanism .That was price cut .Every  Scrollsaw from 150.00 to 2000.00 has a frame to it and most have a tilt knob I know most people never tilt the saw but I do.Even with the knob it is tough to get within a single degree.I know it must be a good running saw or Ray would not put his name on it.

11 hours ago, Scrappile said:

You got a great find there.  Hegner is my favorite saw followed by the Ex than the Seyco,  that is of the saws I have owned.  I would love to try a Hawk, but have not had the opportunity yet.  I am anxious to hear from someone that owns or has owned an Ex., that has purchased the King saw or at least tried one.  I want to know if it is comparable to the Ex.  I fear they must have cut some corners to sell it that cheap. 

Anyway, congrats on your Ex find.  If I got a good buy on one I would be mighty tempted.

I almost went for it .But when I went to my local Woodcraft.They knew nothing about the saw .So if you bought it and something went wrong you could not walk into there store and drop it off I imagine. With a new name branded saw i would not take the chance

8 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Glad to see someone here got that saw... I kept watching it and the wheels was spinning.. I always wanted to try a EX but.. I really don't need another saw.. with the two Hawks and the Dewalt..  Plus I am saving my cash for other things I really could use.. But I almost made an offer on it as well.. I felt the $550 they was asking was high considering for $50 more you can get a new King with the warranty and an option to possibly return it if there was an issue..

Was also watching a new ( old ) Hawk 216 still boxed.. however that guy seem to think he had a $600 - 1000 machine.. While still new in the box.. to me.. I pay a little more and get a new BM series way before I spent that kind of $$ on a 216.. 

The king I would be concerned about returning it to.But this EX was never out of the box.even though there was no warranty if it was DOA i could return the saw with Ebay buyer protection. I already have one so I was pretty confident  about the saw. I took it out of the box, fine tuned it did some cutting is was good to go.I do not really need this saw My EX and Hegner run perfect.I bought them used off of eBay also.The price on the used EX was almost what i paid for this new one.i am geting like Hotshot now Could not pass up a deal

Edited by tonylumps

I think that the King scroll saw is probably the same quality as it was under the Excalibur name. King Canada markets it in Canada as Excelsior, but can't in US because Rockler has rights to the Excelsior name here. One of their main outlets in Canada is Felder Canada, who also sell the Felder line of European sliding table saws. I can't see them selling any low quality machines. I'm not sure why they are not selling the 21 inch saws in US, but possibly because of Woodcrat also marketing the Jet. I'm happy to see the price drop though. I have a 30" Excalibur and just may add a 16" King for another shop.

Wood craft will not take a chance on a low Quality saw for that kind of money. If they would have had it in my Woodcraft store  I might have taken a shot .But not without cutting wood first .Like I said I am very comfortable with my EX and that saw looks like it's twin.

Edited by tonylumps

1 hour ago, rjweb said:

If you buy your saw from woodcraft I was told that if there is a problem I would have to deal with manufacture, RJ

I may be wrong But when i bought my Rikon lathe at Woodcraft DE. I 30 days to return it.They are all franchised stores Some stores may have a Different Policy.

2 hours ago, rjweb said:

The Delaware store is owned by the same guy Tom that owns the one in Pennsylvania, But here in Texas they have there own policy deal with manufacture, its funny how there is no set rule, RJ

I may be wrong But I bought a lot of Festool from  them plus my lathe.And the deal was if you don't like it bring it back I go down to Delaware to save on sales tax