Foredom

WayneG

Was at Lee valley today and they had a foredom on clearance today. $100 off. Could not pass it up, tired of buying dremels.... My 4 th dremel is making the sound that tells me it's on the brink of dying. I won't be buying that junk anymore.

Gonna try the new tool out tomorrow....

Any tips/tricks from those of you that have them?

Edit: OOPS, perhaps the wrong forum, feel free to move it mods...sorry I was so excited...

IMG_20170826_202918.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Nice deal ! What will you do with it?

Foredom is a good solid brand and has been around for a long time. it will really depend on what you want to do with it.  the max speed is 18000 rpm so you need to get a feel for the bit that you are using and how to control it. I have also purchased a Rampower 45 it runs at 45000 rpm the higher speed makes it a bit easier to control plus it is reversible,  I will eventually add a Turbo carver that runs at 400,000 rpm for the real tiny details and piercing work.

The Foredom has the beef for the heavier work great for details in power carving and Intarsia details.

When I was in the tool and die shop, a bunch of guys had these hanging above their bench.  In my 5 years at that shop I never heard any complaining or saw repairs.

It will  be interesting to see how yours holds up.  Maybe we'll see if the new ones are as  well built as the old ones.

IMO, you've got a very versatile tool.

Mark

6 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I have a very nice Grobet made by Foredom. Had it for about 20 years. The chuck is like a small Jacobs chuck that tightens with a key. Very nice tool but do not use the foot switch. I power it with a HF router controller. It does not replace my Dremels however.

3-20170828_142819.jpg

2-20170828_142912.jpg

1-20170828_143045.jpg

Les what do you use your Grobet  for?

I use it for many things. The wire brush for cleaning things for soldering both for model building and mostly for clock repair. I also use it for polishing. I use an abrasive wheel for cutting and shaping small parts for clock repair. Since it is bench mounted I also have several Dremels in various places in my clock shop and also in my turning and scrolling shop in the garage.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, WayneG said:

Was at Lee valley today and they had a foredom on clearance today. $100 off. Could not pass it up, tired of buying dremels.... My 4 th dremel is making the sound that tells me it's on the brink of dying. I won't be buying that junk anymore.

Gonna try the new tool out tomorrow....

Any tips/tricks from those of you that have them?

Edit: OOPS, perhaps the wrong forum, feel free to move it mods...sorry I was so excited...

IMG_20170826_202918.jpg

i KNOW THE FEELING ,DREMILS DO NOT LIKE TO BE DOGGED AT all POOF!

Edited by amazingkevin