Not sure whats going on

edward

try slowing your blade speed down a little bit. What breed of machine are you currently usin' to work with? that will help us out to help you. Also, what size blade & type are you currently using to cut your letters? 

With 1/2" oak, a #2, #3 or #4 blade will work perfect. But, take into consideration you're cutting hard wood. Try using a polar blade of one of those sizes & you'll end your tear out. If you're using an aggressive blade, that would explain your tear out.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

What is happening is the grain is lifting because woods such as oak has wide grain patterns. Woods like mahagony and maples do not. There is little support in thin pieces when cuts are so close together. The blade catches the grain on a turn and can rip into it. I do not slow the saw down I instead speed it up and go slower but also use a reverse tooth blade. The best method to avoid this is either switch to a tighter grained wood or use a backer board with a zero clearance blade hole and a reverse tooth blade. My opinion.

The issue is the hole size in the table.  Because of how close together your letters are you have delicate areas being unsupported while cutting.  This is what is causing the tear out.  There are a couple options to help prevent it.  First use a backer board such as 1/8 Baltic Birch.  The other way is cover up most of the table hole.  I do that with a piece of aluminum flashing.