Weekend Project

MrsN

15 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

Ray the best way to learn is to make something for someone that you know they will like. If you make one and it's a mes throw it away and make another. Do it till you learn how, then go to something else.

Thanks Don, I have a few things in mind but I don't have the right material at this point. I DO have a ton of scrap wood that I'm going to paste all the practice patterns on and cut the heck out of them. Then they go in the trash.

Ray

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

Wayne that wind blown tree is beautiful as is all of the work pictured in these postings.

We have a beautiful weekend, unseasonably warm, so we will be yard saleing. Unfortunately I have already pulled my boat for the seas0on courtesy of hurricane Jose.

I just finished a couple more test cuts for SSWWC , I now desperately need to clean up my shop before I go into Christmas production. 

I am also scaling down a nativity design in the Feinschnitt magazine (German) I will be making a couple of these for sale. 

And I need to stir my "Velour" daily for another week. I hear all of the "HUH" what the ____ is that? It is a Beach plum liqueur, made with whole beach plums, brandy, sugar a cinnamon stick and a few cloves.  My sampling of the stirring spoon is very promising. 

Nativity 2.jpg

Beach plum brandy.jpg

And we all know that is not for staining wood too. Right?

Ray

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

While not in the shop.. but rather in the house.. I will be cooking a batch of my homemade finish.. Beeswax / Mineral oil mixture.. I don't typically work in the shop during the weekend as that is time for family.. since kids and wife are off school / work. etc.. but fresh start on Monday morning I'll be cutting a newly designed wall clock.. just finished up a new Bass fish wall clock.. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it in the bragging section Monday.. I never think to show my work here..

Kevin   

Well,  new orders coming in have changed my plan for Mondays cuts.. I now have one of these orders from my web site.. motorcycle clocks, 57 chevy clock,  custom ordered fire truck clock with fire chief cutout at the bottom and the department name woodburned into the side. wedding hearts, and this deer love custom ordered to a 9" wide from etsy .. 

il_570xN.889484745_7ql8.jpg

il_570xN.1266865474_e4qh (1).jpg

il_570xN.866223426_2b5w.jpg

il_570xN.892681985_tr69.jpg

il_570xN.854655131_fdar.jpg

Edited by kmmcrafts

8 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Don, I have a few things in mind but I don't have the right material at this point. I DO have a ton of scrap wood that I'm going to paste all the practice patterns on and cut the heck out of them. Then they go in the trash.

Ray

Ray I am different than you. I made up some practice patterns and got so bored cutting them that I just started cutting easy patterns. It just works better for me.

15 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

Ray I am different than you. I made up some practice patterns and got so bored cutting them that I just started cutting easy patterns. It just works better for me.

I sort of did the same thing when I first got my saw  a year or so ago. Then, I got sidetracked on other stuff and am just now getting back to my saw. My first project was a fretwork butterfly. I tried to do a bit of puzzle making and found that I had lost what I thought I had under control so I'm going to do some more practice. But, you are right. I'll probably get bored and try something like this again.

Ray

20150301_171412.jpg

I shut the shop down friday evening, & been in the house w/the wife. I'll get cranked up again tomorrow. 

I don't have anything going on the saw at the moment. Been working on a quilt ladder for a customer. The rungs are all turned on the lathe. The runners are barn wood. I done glue ups for the rungs out of barn wood, as well. Still have some lathe work to do, then drill all the holes in the runners. It don't sound like much, but has been a labor intensive project. Hope to finish it by mid week so i can get the shop cleaned up, & start on Christmas ornaments.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:24 PM, MrsN said:

I am planning on spending some quality time in the shop this weekend, but can't quite figure out what project I should do. So, what are you working on in the shop this weekend, or what would you work on if you could spend the weekend in the shop?

Katie

Orders are flying in ,most unusual .My feet and ankles are hurting bad as I've sat in this scrolling chair since 2004 .Now with arthritis gone I'm much more active and the limbs are paying the toll.But as always i do what i can.Lots of free names,some mecanics jobs here for the lawn service people and then a big two sided lettering job on on trailer they have.Painting the landlords 4'x8' sign over again for free paid off finally.I've blown out the bladder on my speed bag so i changed that .Been picking up coconuts as i find them from the hurricane for fresh electrolyte and nut meat on older ones.I've still a longway to go to organize the shop but little by little it's happening.i did my first vernier job on my toy ukulele in teak. Had i known i had enough to do it right i would have done so.but it's for me and don't look bad.Made a rug holder 6'-6" for a name customer as she asked if i could seeing all the wood wood i have.Jobs are coming in i need .

On 9/24/2017 at 3:32 PM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I shut the shop down friday evening, & been in the house w/the wife. I'll get cranked up again tomorrow. 

I don't have anything going on the saw at the moment. Been working on a quilt ladder for a customer. The rungs are all turned on the lathe. The runners are barn wood. I done glue ups for the rungs out of barn wood, as well. Still have some lathe work to do, then drill all the holes in the runners. It don't sound like much, but has been a labor intensive project. Hope to finish it by mid week so i can get the shop cleaned up, & start on Christmas ornaments.

Someone asked me to build her a quilt ladder also. Gotta go and find some dark cherry wood. :)

OKAY!  Be honest, how many posted here what they were going to do last weekend, and how many actually accomplished what they said?? 

I did not.  I scrolled my little heart out but did not finish my Sea Turtle until Tuesday evening.  Finished scrolling but not finished with a finish and frame.  I did a little sanding on the "pole dancers" (wonder if I can talk her out of an instruction video for the Hamsa box?? I do have a picture of her,,, not bad, not bad,,) Hamsa box but there is so much more to do.  I am a failure...:?

Edited by Scrappile

55 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

OKAY!  Be honest, how many posted here what they were going to do last weekend, and how many actually accomplished what they said?? 

I did not.  I scrolled my little heart out but did not finish my Sea Turtle until Tuesday evening.  Finished scrolling but not finished with a finish and frame.  I did a little sanding on the "pole dancers" (wonder if I can talk her out of an instruction video for the Hamsa box?? I do have a picture of her,,, not bad, not bad,,) Hamsa box but there is so much more to do.  I am a failure...:?

I said I'd be working on ornaments and I did. I didn't say they would be done! I'll be working on them for a couple more weekends.