Weekend Project

MrsN

10 minutes ago, MrsN said:

I am planning on spending some quality time in the shop this weekend, but can't quite figure out what project I should do. So, what are you working on in the shop this weekend, or what would ybeen ou work on if you could spend the weekend in the shop?

Katie

Katie I am retired so I spend almost every day in the shop. I just got through putting together a new Woodpecker router table I bought. I am excited about putting it to work. I also built my two grandsons a golf ball display rack that holds a hundred golf balls. They collect golf balls from different colleges. This will be their Christmas present. I will post a picture of one of them below. I now have to get started making my wife and daughter a box for Christmas. Okay now for the weekend. I am going to make a jig so I can cut a bevel on a 6"x 13" x 1/2" thick maple. I am going to cut the bevel on the table saw. It's probably  been six weeks since I have done any scrolling. Hopefully after making the boxes I will get back to scrolling.

Here is a picture of one of the racks.

g2ketB9.jpg

I'm working on Alex Fox's "Sea Turtle" per my wife's request and trying to get the Hamsa Box for the Brazilian pole dancer finished up.  Lots of sanding and it is Cocobolo and me and Cocobolo do not do well together.  Especially the sanding dust.  But I love the look of it. 

Edited by Scrappile

8 minutes ago, WayneMahler said:

I have 2 bed side tables to finish for a customer. Also want to get started on The Crown of Thorns and Last Supper scrolling work. I also need to clean my shop up so that should keep me pretty busy.

Wayne, which Last Supper are you going to do?  I have one started as filler work, it is around 24" long, off hand can't remember where I got the pattern.

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Well, since I'm not good yet, I'm going to spend some time just practicing. I look forward to "making" something.

Ray

Ray the best way to learn is to make something for someone that you know they will like. If you make one and it's a mes throw it away and make another. Do it till you learn how, then go to something else.

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Wayne, which Last Supper are you going to do?  I have one started as filler work, it is around 24" long, off hand can't remember where I got the pattern.

Paul

The one I do I got from Charles Dearing. Over 400 internal cuts. I resized it to approx. 32 wide by 8 1/2 high inside a frame behind glass.Takes a while to cut it anfd you have to use spiral blades which is typical of Dearings patterns. 

I would work on Christmas themed projects. Nativity project, light boxes with Christmas related cutouts and ornaments. I limited to weekends for awhile, until they find a CAD teacher. I did have some students design scrollsaw boxes as a project since I needed to find out where they are at in their skill level. The students enjoyed it because they haven't had a teacher for three weeks and worksheets were getting boring. Good luck on whatever project you pick.

Wayne that wind blown tree is beautiful as is all of the work pictured in these postings.

We have a beautiful weekend, unseasonably warm, so we will be yard saleing. Unfortunately I have already pulled my boat for the seas0on courtesy of hurricane Jose.

I just finished a couple more test cuts for SSWWC , I now desperately need to clean up my shop before I go into Christmas production. 

I am also scaling down a nativity design in the Feinschnitt magazine (German) I will be making a couple of these for sale. 

And I need to stir my "Velour" daily for another week. I hear all of the "HUH" what the ____ is that? It is a Beach plum liqueur, made with whole beach plums, brandy, sugar a cinnamon stick and a few cloves.  My sampling of the stirring spoon is very promising. 

Nativity 2.jpg

Beach plum brandy.jpg

Edited by Rolf

While not in the shop.. but rather in the house.. I will be cooking a batch of my homemade finish.. Beeswax / Mineral oil mixture.. I don't typically work in the shop during the weekend as that is time for family.. since kids and wife are off school / work. etc.. but fresh start on Monday morning I'll be cutting a newly designed wall clock.. just finished up a new Bass fish wall clock.. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it in the bragging section Monday.. I never think to show my work here..

Kevin   

Once I finish the "Honey Do List" I am going to put the finishing touches on this sign and hang it up on the house. Not sure how it will stand up to the Canadian winters but it was a fun project.

Then I am going to to try my hand at a couple of dog puzzles, cant wait to start them. 

20170917_085429.jpg

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

Wayne that wind blown tree is beautiful as is all of the work pictured in these postings.

We have a beautiful weekend, unseasonably warm, so we will be yard saleing. Unfortunately I have already pulled my boat for the seas0on courtesy of hurricane Jose.

I just finished a couple more test cuts for SSWWC , I now desperately need to clean up my shop before I go into Christmas production. 

I am also scaling down a nativity design in the Feinschnitt magazine (German) I will be making a couple of these for sale. 

And I need to stir my "Velour" daily for another week. I hear all of the "HUH" what the ____ is that? It is a Beach plum liqueur, made with whole beach plums, brandy, sugar a cinnamon stick and a few cloves.  My sampling of the stirring spoon is very promising. 

Nativity 2.jpg

Beach plum brandy.jpg

thanks!