Complete beginner

Kerrie88

Hi, 

ok sorry if this question has been asked heaps of times, but... as the title says I'm a complete beginner!!

im wanting to buy my first scroll saw to do name plaques with script names. 

Q 1: um So do I need to attach a vaccum to the machine for dust collection? 

Q 2: how does the dust blower work without a vaccum? 

Q3: I'm looking at a jet 16" saw, struggling to find any reviews on this model. If anyone has had/used one could you please give me your review? 

Q 4: I'm open to spending up to around $400, If anyone could suggest a really good quick change blade machine, that doesn't vibrate too much? 

Thank you all I'm advance :) looking forward to starting. 

IMG_3393.PNG

Hi, welcome to the Village.  Looks like you are in Australia, so your choices of saws is a little more limited than in the U.S.  I also had to look up the saw you mention, so I am no help on info about the saw.  There are some members he that are in Australia, hopefully they can chime in about saws available in your area.

Truthfully, you usually do not have to hook up a vac to your saw.  The blower will (should ) blow the dust off your pattern so you can see what you are sawing.  It is usually operated by a billows that is pumped by the action of your saw arm.   But, as a wise old man I highly recommend the best method of dust collection you can come up with.  There are lots of methods, some simple, some more elaborate.  Just search the forum for "dust collecton".  The fine dust generated while scrolling is not good to breath.  

Looking at the picture you posted if you are going to do work of that size, I would recommend a 20+ inch scroll saw. 

Hi and welcome to the village. I'm not familiar with the Jet line of saws but a google search may help in finding a review. As Paul said, the dust blower should keep the cut lines free so you can see them while you work. Dewalts have a good reputation for the most part but not sure they are available in your area. Some have set up a box fan with a furnace filter on it so the air passes through the filter as the fan runs. Be careful with the very fine dust, not good to breath it in and from what I understand once in never out. So a good face filter will help with that. Being new remember to enjoy the time spent at your saw and never be afraid to ask questions. 

Hi Kerrie I am Peter from N.S.W I am afraid I know next to nothing about the Jet .The saw I started out with was a carbatec 18" variable speed but this may be above your budget as they are in the $750 dollar range. I used this saw for a couple of years & was very happy with it,I have since upgraded to the EX 21. Of course the dearer machines are a lot better & worth the extra you spend on them. It just depends on how & what you are going to use it for. Cheers Peter.

Edited by woodduck

On 10/16/2017 at 8:50 AM, Scrappile said:

Looking at the picture you posted if you are going to do work of that size, I would recommend a 20+ inch scroll saw. 

I would agree.  The capacity needs to be one of the major points in looking at scroll saws.  I have been close several times with maxing out the capacity of my DeWalt.  I know the alternative is the spiral blades, I am just not that comfortable with them. 

On 17/10/2017 at 2:50 AM, Scrappile said:

Hi, welcome to the Village.  Looks like you are in Australia, so your choices of saws is a little more limited than in the U.S.  I also had to look up the saw you mention, so I am no help on info about the saw.  There are some members he that are in Australia, hopefully they can chime in about saws available in your area.

Truthfully, you usually do not have to hook up a vac to your saw.  The blower will (should ) blow the dust off your pattern so you can see what you are sawing.  It is usually operated by a billows that is pumped by the action of your saw arm.   But, as a wise old man I highly recommend the best method of dust collection you can come up with.  There are lots of methods, some simple, some more elaborate.  Just search the forum for "dust collecton".  The fine dust generated while scrolling is not good to breath.  

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes we are very limited here in Australia.

oh well I was looking at a smaller one so maybe I will get a bigger one as wouldn't want to spend the money and not be able to do the projects I want. 

11 hours ago, woodduck said:

Hi Kerrie I am Peter from N.S.W I am afraid I know next to nothing about the Jet .The saw I started out with was a carbatec 18" variable speed but this may be above your budget as they are in the $750 dollar range. I used this saw for a couple of years & was very happy with it,I have since upgraded to the EX 21. Of course the dearer machines are a lot better & worth the extra you spend on them. It just depends on how & what you are going to use it for. Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

thanks for replying. I have seen the carbatec 18".  Was wondering if it's worth spending the money on it as finding quite hard to find a saw. I either find a cheap ryobi for $129 from bunnings ( which I have been contemplating) or the next price range is the carbatec one. 

Can I ask where you purchase your saws from? And a good brand of blades available in Australia? I had no idea the scroll saw market was so little here :/. 

11 hours ago, woodduck said:

Isn't the Cardatec the over seas version of the Excalibur?  Should be a pretty good saw.

8 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

Welcome to the forum from TN.  Looks like you got some good information.  My first saw as and still is a DeWalt 788 20".  I now have an EX21 which is my go to saw.

Thank you. I watched a few videos on the dewalt and was sold but it's impossible to get in Australia and I'd be paying 200+ for shipping from America. 

5 hours ago, Kerrie88 said:

Hi Peter,

thanks for replying. I have seen the carbatec 18".  Was wondering if it's worth spending the money on it as finding quite hard to find a saw. I either find a cheap ryobi for $129 from bunnings ( which I have been contemplating) or the next price range is the carbatec one. 

Can I ask where you purchase your saws from? And a good brand of blades available in Australia? I had no idea the scroll saw market was so little here :/. 

Kerrie I purchased my first saw from the Carbatec stand at the Sydney working with wood show & the second via a phone call straight to Carbatec Phone No 1800658111 . E -Mail info@carbatec.com.au   I buy my blades from Helen Harris from Murray Bridge E-Mail ochjh@scrolling.com.au  or Phone at 0885313440. She has a leaflet with all the blades you will ever need & delivers fast & efficient service.

7 minutes ago, woodduck said:

Kerrie I purchased my first saw from the Carbatec stand at the Sydney working with wood show & the second via a phone call straight to Carbatec Phone No 1800658111 . E -Mail info@carbatec.com.au   I buy my blades from Helen Harris from Murray Bridge E-Mail ochjh@scrolling.com.au  or Phone at 0885313440. She has a leaflet with all the blades you will ever need & delivers fast & efficient service.

Oh thank you for for all the help. 

Cant wait to start scrolling :)

You might find these guys to be helpful when it comes to finding machines/blades in Australia.

http://www.scrollsawaustralia.com/

Most of the links on their link page seem to be dead, but their main page advertises an event from May, so if they've disbanded it's just been recently.

There are also these people. Their site too is a bit outdated, but they have a newsletter from last month so they're not dead yet: http://www.woodgroupsa.org.au/sozscroll/

With a bit of luck you might be able to find someone there who has set themselves up as an importer/reseller of tools/blades.

howdy! And welcome to the forum! It's great to see a newbie on the forum! There is a wealth of information here from all skill levels of scrollers. You won't find a friendlier, more helpful bunch than right here!

Personally, I run Hawk & Hitachi Saws, & have had no complaints on either brand. I wore out one Hawk. I've got a BM 26 now. It's an awesome machine, but has its down falls as well. My Hitachi is over 20 years old, & runs like new.

Look for a saw that is going to fit your needs. Don't underestimate the use or purpose of it. Study reviews about the saw you're lookin' at. Also check into blade availability. I would encourage you try different brands & find what works for you. Good luck!

On 10/16/2017 at 5:14 AM, Kerrie88 said:

Hi, 

ok sorry if this question has been asked heaps of times, but... as the title says I'm a complete beginner!!

im wanting to buy my first scroll saw to do name plaques with script names. 

Q 1: um So do I need to attach a vaccum to the machine for dust collection? 

Q 2: how does the dust blower work without a vaccum? 

Q3: I'm looking at a jet 16" saw, struggling to find any reviews on this model. If anyone has had/used one could you please give me your review? 

Q 4: I'm open to spending up to around $400, If anyone could suggest a really good quick change blade machine, that doesn't vibrate too much? 

Thank you all I'm advance :) looking forward to starting. 

IMG_3393.PNG

Welcome friend ,You'll get all the answers you'll need right here.