My first art show.

Runa

Local school is having a arts fair (Dec 2) and I mustered the courage up to sign up. I am excited and nervous too. Any advice would be highly recommended. I do have a few questions:

- I am hoping to show a variety of possibility: Lamps, Plaques, keepsake boxes, maybe a few ornaments. Amy other you would recommend?

- I am hoping to design a simple business card. Any advice here?

- Any recommendations on how to display?

I have used vista prints for printing business cards. They usually have a deal where 500 cards are about 20 bucks. You can use their online card designer or upload your own image. I would create a social network page of your choosing and put it on the card.

Since you are new at this I would start with making things that interest you. If you stack cut, you can increase your production. 

your lamps are beautiful. I would think they would sell well. Maybe make a Christmas/holiday versions

Congrats on taking the first step in selling :) . I have been selling for a while and a clean organised display really helps. Greet your potential customers with a smile and hello. And don't be afraid to answer any questions they may have. Vista print seems to be the way most people go, I use a local printing house. The wife and I like to support local small businesses though. As was stated, with Christmas coming up somethings in the spirit of the Holiday should help a lot. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Be natural and friendly greet the customer with a smile be aware of what they are interested in and show it dto them let them handle it . Just be a nice person and you will make sales. Don't sit in your booth and read a book or salve a puzzle. but be friendly pass out cards. It it's a women give them a little something. I useally take 100 or so oven pulls. and Give them to a woman if she showes any intrest. I have my name and email address on mine. I don't know if it has ment any sales but  I just use scrap 1/4 ply and little time to make some one happy

.IKE

21 hours ago, ike said:

Be natural and friendly greet the customer with a smile be aware of what they are interested in and show it dto them let them handle it . Just be a nice person and you will make sales. Don't sit in your booth and read a book or salve a puzzle. but be friendly pass out cards. It it's a women give them a little something. I useally take 100 or so oven pulls. and Give them to a woman if she showes any intrest. I have my name and email address on mine. I don't know if it has ment any sales but  I just use scrap 1/4 ply and little time to make some one happy

.IKE

I'm with IKE,give till your heart bleeds,Makes for a good lasting impression that lasts and subliminally makes them want to do something for you BUY BUY BUY,lol

This is interesting. When I used to do the flea markets (not scrollwork) we ran an experiment. If I stood at the counter just being there, I sold more. Sitting in a chair even at the counter, sales dropped, a lot. so I took a stool and only sat when my back needed a break. This made a big difference. I don't know why even as I was at the table either way standing brought more sales. Maybe just more respectful, more approachable don't know for sure, just know it works.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the feedback and inspirationt o go for it. I had my first 3 hour art show at a school yesterday and it was very inspiring to let kids play with puzzles and tell me how much they love what I have done. I was informed that people dont carry too much cash for school shows. I think my lamps marked at $50 was too much for the crowd. Grownups were also amazed at the work I had done. Even though I only made $120 on puzzles, I got a lot of people asking me if I could do a few custom piece . 

I got feedback facebook from my first customer and how much they loved the puzzles. Attached are pictures of the table setup.

art fair 1.jpg

art fair 2.jpg