Hello all from NW FL

new2woodwrk

I was directed to this forum fortunately by someone in another and it seems this is the right place to be for everything scroll sawing.

I've never used a scroll saw and have a very small budget (about $120) and currently researching low end scroll saws.

I doubt I'll ever do anything major on it as I'm also not very good at woodworking in general. It's a hobby and I'm learning as best I can.

Probably only cutting a few small things like clock number, maybe a few small patterns etc. I doubt I'd ever get to the point of doing anything intricate.

I've read quite a few of the reviews here already, and of course the ones I'm interested in and are within budget have terrible reviews LOL

Anyway, hopefully I can gleam some information about which saw I should be looking at purchasing for a new woodwork and newer still to scroll sawing.

Feel free to direct me or advise me as needed

Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

Welcome to the forum from TN.  One thing to look at on low end saws, be sure it accepts pin less blades.

Will do - as soon as I figure out what that is LOL

Ah just read about pin less - thanks for the head s up @Denny Knappen

Edited by new2woodwrk

Welcome to the Villige Jes! There are folks on this site that are using entry level saws and are cutting excellent projects with them.  But since you asked, I would save a little more cash and se if you can find a used higher end saw. If you go to the general section of the forum, you will see two different posts of members finding great buys on Craig's List. You just might find the buy of a lifetime!

Thanks all,

Unfortunately CL in my area is a bust - they try to sell junk  at prices of new units!

I watch CL often - I watch CPO more often though.

I've bought a few things from CPO  with no regrets so far

They have a Skil currently, but I have 3 Skil tools and only one was worth the purchase - the circ.

Another Tennessee welcome.  Don't be too quick to judge yourself or your skills with woodworking or the scrolls - as you say - you are just beginning and learning. Take your time and you will get better.  Lots of ways to learn - here is a great place to learn.  I started with the saw wanting to do Intarsia work.  Never thought I would do any "fretwork" but after hanging out here with the great bunch of guys and gals here, and seeing there projects, I got "tempted" to try other things.  I found that doing that work has helped improve my "line cutting skills" as well. The animal puzzles are great for that, are addicting, and well received as gifts.  Afraid I can't give you too much advise on saws.  Do get the best you can afford, even if it means waiting a bit longer and saving a little while longer.  In the interim, keep an eye out for good bargains as noted.  I haven't tried Craigslist, but sorry to hear it may not be great in your area.  Expand your search area some if you are willing to drive a bit to get a good saw. Good luck and look forward to your participation here.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, new2woodwrk said:

I was directed to this forum fortunately by someone in another and it seems this is the right place to be for everything scroll sawing.

I've never used a scroll saw and have a very small budget (about $120) and currently researching low end scroll saws.

I doubt I'll ever do anything major on it as I'm also not very good at woodworking in general. It's a hobby and I'm learning as best I can.

Probably only cutting a few small things like clock number, maybe a few small patterns etc. I doubt I'd ever get to the point of doing anything intricate.

I've read quite a few of the reviews here already, and of course the ones I'm interested in and are within budget have terrible reviews LOL

Anyway, hopefully I can gleam some information about which saw I should be looking at purchasing for a new woodwork and newer still to scroll sawing.

Feel free to direct me or advise me as needed

Thanks in advance

I did everything imagineable to a house or car as a handyman.I never cared for details.I'm impressed so much by what the scroll saw can do that i love high detail quick projects the best,Like key chains for one.Give it a go take it slow and you'll be hooked like the rest of us here .Welcome aboard friend!!!!!!!

Welcome to the SSV. I'm fairly new to the hobby too. It would be nice to know where you are located. We might be able to help you out with a good used saw. There are many out there but you must be choosy on what you buy. If at all possible, don't let price be your guide. You will be miles ahead if you are patient and wait for the right saw to come along. An inferior saw will just serve to frustrate you and being new to woodworking in general, you have too many other variables to be concerned with. Best of luck, hang out and READ, READ, READ!!!

Ray

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Welcome to the SSV. I'm fairly new to the hobby too. It would be nice to know where you are located. We might be able to help you out with a good used saw. There are many out there but you must be choosy on what you buy. If at all possible, don't let price be your guide. You will be miles ahead if you are patient and wait for the right saw to come along. An inferior saw will just serve to frustrate you and being new to woodworking in general, you have too many other variables to be concerned with. Best of luck, hang out and READ, READ, READ!!!

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I'm in NW Florida - between Pensacola and Talahassee

Unfortunately patience is not one of my better traits LOL

54 minutes ago, Erv said:

Hi Jess, welcome from the great white north, and I do mean north and white Eastern Canada.  Like already said, try at least for a saw that uses painless blades.  Lots of You Tube vids on scrolling for newbies too. I will warn you, this hobbit is addictive!  Enjoy.

Painless blades are a good idea, but I meant Pinless blades. LOL

18 hours ago, Erv said:

Painless blades are a good idea, but I meant Pinless blades. LOL

Yah I know what you  meant LOL

I don't hold  bad spelling or bad grammar against anyone :)

Heck there are times I can't type to save my life and miss all kinds of adjectives and adverbs - my posts read like english is a 3rd language for me :(