Foot switch - deadman's switch?

new2woodwrk

6 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Deadman here also, I like having both hands on the project piece before the blade starts moving. And as mentioned earlier, when a blade breaks my natural instinct is to lift my foot which cuts off the saw.

Chris 

My natural instinct (I've broken 2 now) is to jump back and say #&$*(%#()#* *whew*

I sit in a barbers chair while I'm scrollin'. I'm fairly short legged compared to some. I bought my on/off foot switch from Hawk. But what I done was made a 90* out of some 1" x 4" & bolted it across the back end of my BM 26, & mounted my foot switch to that. After 2 major back surgeries, I don't do much standiin' to scroll.

I have my shop set up so that I can sit close to every tool if I need to give my back & legs a break. Sometimes its kinda embarassin',  especially no older than I am, but since 2009, my health has rapidly declined. So I do what I have to do to keep enjoyin' wood workin'. Otherwise, my bride would have me in a looney bin some place.:(

I used the saw switch for about a year, then got a HF deadman switch.  Took me all of about 30 seconds to know that was the best accessory I ever bought for a tool. Thinking of adding one to my drill press, but since I got the press at such a bargain, the switch would just about double the resale value of the press! :roll:

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2018 at 9:26 AM, Scrappile said:

I use the "dead man" style.  Actually have never tried an "off/on" one.  If I stood up to scroll, I can see where the off/on would work better.  I may have to get one and try it.  I always figured I may not be able to locate the off/on switch with my foot, and I don't want to have to look away from my work with the saw running in a delicate area.  Maybe that is not a problem.

haha, never mind his fingers, this man's priority is his work!!! I like it :D 

"The Best" is often what you grow to be familiar with - and in this case I have a wall type switch beside the scrollsaw which does me just fine - I don't think I would like any kind of foot switch that required me to keep my foot on it - after two knee replacements I've grown to understand that they like being free to move around or they stiffen up dramatically - and locked into a foot switch without the opportunity to move is something I know would not be comfortable during lengthy scrolling sessions.

Jay 

Edited by RangerJay

9 minutes ago, RangerJay said:

"The Best" is often what you grow to be familiar with - and in this case I have a wall type switch beside the scrollsaw which does me just fine - I don't think I would like any kind of foot switch that required me to keep my foot on it - after two knee replacements I've grown to understand that they like being free to move around or they stiffen up dramatically - and locked into a foot switch without the opportunity to move is something I know would not be comfortable during lengthy scrolling sessions.

Jay 

I'm kinda in the same boat although I have bad knees, I just feel like my leg gets tired using a foot switch so I opted for a remote switch I keep on the table with the dust control switch, It's easily accessible for me to reach over and push the button.

Plus my stool is too high for a switch without adding some platform to the base of the stool or to the bench in front of me.

Either way, I've grown accustomed to the remote switch

Ranger, you've got my curiosity up. You mentioned a wall switch. Ya don't mind me askin', how did ya set your saw up with a wall switch? 

I've got a BM 26 Hawk that I spend most of my scrollin' time at, when I'm able to. I bought a new barbers chair & had to take my set up for my foot switch apart. So I'm back to usin' the on/off switch. Which, don't misunderstand me, I don't mind, but your wall switch idea caught my attention & just might work for me. And it'd save wear & tear on the power switch. I've already got a couple ideas rollin' around in my mind, but I'd like to hear yours. I'd appreciate it, Sir. 

I have both types on different saws.  No preference.  What I have done is mount them where I can access the switch with my knee to either hit the on off switch or leave off the dead man. Doesn't seem to bother my knee because it's located in just the right position where my knee is in very close proximity to switch and very comfortable. JMO 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:54 PM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Ranger, you've got my curiosity up. You mentioned a wall switch. Ya don't mind me askin', how did ya set your saw up with a wall switch? 

I've got a BM 26 Hawk that I spend most of my scrollin' time at, when I'm able to. I bought a new barbers chair & had to take my set up for my foot switch apart. So I'm back to usin' the on/off switch. Which, don't misunderstand me, I don't mind, but your wall switch idea caught my attention & just might work for me. And it'd save wear & tear on the power switch. I've already got a couple ideas rollin' around in my mind, but I'd like to hear yours. I'd appreciate it, Sir. 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - didn't see your post till this afternoon.

I guess I could have been a little clearer in my description - it is a wall switch mounted on the bench - which controls an outlet - 1/2 of which is the saw - the other 1/2 of the outlet controls a small fan that helps push airborne dust into my dust collector - pictures of my "Scroll Saw Command Centre" below ....... between the two pictures you can see the switch, the outlet, the fan and the dust collector.

Jay

20180415_142158.jpg

20180415_142223.jpg

Edited by RangerJay

...so, have been following this w/interest.

Is a deadman switch called a "deadman switch", because if "the man"

drops over dead, the equipment stops?

This is not a deadman switch.  This is just a switch, correct.

https://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html

This is a deadman switch, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9080-Billy-Switch-Deadman/dp/B000LJNJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523831913&sr=8-1&keywords=deadman+switch

Edited by justdraftn
added info

22 minutes ago, justdraftn said:

...so, have been following this w/interest.

Is a deadman switch called a "deadman switch", because if "the man"

drops over dead, the equipment stops?

This is not a deadman switch.  This is just a switch, correct.

https://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html

This is a deadman switch, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9080-Billy-Switch-Deadman/dp/B000LJNJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523831913&sr=8-1&keywords=deadman+switch

I believe both are the same style - press for on, release for off - if you have to press on and press off then it is not a deadman's switch