Sanding Mops?

OCtoolguy

Don't know much about the sanding mops.. I've got a ( not sure what you call it )  arbor with like scotch brite pads on it.. It was purchased at Harbor Freight all assembled.. Don't remember what I paid for it.. Tried to find it online on their site.. but can't find it.. Amazing Kevin is where I originally heard of it.. in one of those post where they was discussing sanding mops etc..

1 hour ago, new2woodwrk said:

You can easily make your own - Amazon has an assortment as well

I am thinking about doing just that. I already have an arbor but I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost me to buy a roll of emery cloth and do all the cutting. Sometimes, it's just not worth it. Thanks.

R

I use both the Sanding Mop and Mac Mop.May seem a little expensive ,but they last for years for Scroll Work.I started using them on my DP but found the lathe with VS works better.Sanding almost msde me give up Scroll work. But now sanding is a piece of cake and don’t mind it now. I cut out about 75% of sanding time compared to hand sanding.

4 hours ago, Doug said:

This is my go to and use it all the time:

and you can get it here

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fs36240/

I just looked at this website and I see they get $72.95 for a started kit. I think I'll be making my own. That's a hefty price for an arbor and some sand paper. 

R

44 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Have any of you ever tried these. I'm thinking about ordering a set but thought I'd ask first. 

2018-02-22_1204.png

One strength of the traditional type of sanding mop is that it's individualized pieces of sandpaper do a good job of getting into the inside of fretwork to remove the hard edge - not sure this product would do that but it sure looks intriguing and I'd look forward to your review once you've tried it.

The other thing I'd wonder about is longevity - the material in this product looks very similar to that found in abrasive buffs that can also be purchased off of Amazon ( https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Abrasive-Polishing-Buffing-Tools-2-35mm/dp/B0722Y69NJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1519332337&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=abrasive+buffs&psc=1 ).  I do use these buffs on fretwork and like them for that purpose - but I treat them as disposable - they really don't last a long time.  The sanding mop - on the other hand - is amazingly long lived - I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said I get close to a year out of a refill before having to change it - by the way - $72.95 seems way too high - I believe there is an initial add-on charge for the mandrel but even so this seems too much.

If you do decide to get this product please keep us posted on how it works.

Thanks,

Jay

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Have any of you ever tried these. I'm thinking about ordering a set but thought I'd ask first. 

2018-02-22_1204.png

The ones I buy from Harbor Freight look much like the one in the middle in the back of this picture.. Believe they have two different grits and cost about $9... I've had mine since mid summer last year and its still doing decent job.. Use it on about every clock and clock base I make to knock off the edges..

I couldn't find the link the other day.. but now I've got it.. They have 80, 180, 400 grit.. I have the 180.. and wish it was a little more aggressive but it works, My next one might be a 80 grit.. they tend to not be as aggressive as you think of for flat sanding paper 

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-180-Grit-Abrasive-Ball-61184.html

6 hours ago, RangerJay said:

One strength of the traditional type of sanding mop is that it's individualized pieces of sandpaper do a good job of getting into the inside of fretwork to remove the hard edge - not sure this product would do that but it sure looks intriguing and I'd look forward to your review once you've tried it.

The other thing I'd wonder about is longevity - the material in this product looks very similar to that found in abrasive buffs that can also be purchased off of Amazon ( https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Abrasive-Polishing-Buffing-Tools-2-35mm/dp/B0722Y69NJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1519332337&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=abrasive+buffs&psc=1 ).  I do use these buffs on fretwork and like them for that purpose - but I treat them as disposable - they really don't last a long time.  The sanding mop - on the other hand - is amazingly long lived - I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said I get close to a year out of a refill before having to change it - by the way - $72.95 seems way too high - I believe there is an initial add-on charge for the mandrel but even so this seems too much.

If you do decide to get this product please keep us posted on how it works.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay, I have no idea if that price is the best but I followed the link to them and the refills are in the $30 range but the starter kit is the posted price. I thought that was outrageous. If I decide to buy that set of buffs, I'll let you know how it works out.

R

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Jay, I have no idea if that price is the best but I followed the link to them and the refills are in the $30 range but the starter kit is the posted price. I thought that was outrageous. If I decide to buy that set of buffs, I'll let you know how it works out.

R

Ray, Might also want to look on Steve Good site, believe he did a video on making your own as well. Since you say you have a arbor already. 

I have made my own mops a couple of time.  You need to use very good cloth backed sand paper.  I tried cheaper stuff and it did not work long.  I made several with the Klingspor gold cloth backed and worked well.  It takes quite a bit of work to make them. I just buy the refills now.

I do not think that you can make the Mac Mop.  It works extremely well on more delicate items.  Not cheap but I think well worth it.

I also use those stiff bristle brushes (think bottle brush).  The smaller ones work good for getting in the nooks and grannies.  Russ

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Drinking-Glasses-Keyboards-Jewelry/dp/B01F0VI294/ref=sr_1_25_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519488439&sr=8-25-spons&keywords=stiff+bristle+brushes&psc=1

A few years ago, I read an article on Steve Goode's blog on making sand mops -- http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co...-on-cheap.html

So, I ordered some Gold Flex sanding rolls from Klingspor and tried it. It worked great. But did I save any money? A little bit. At Klingspor, a 2" wide roll cost $14.95 and the mandrel cost $9.95 = $24.80.

A pack of 48 pre-cut strips cost $29.95, with the mandrell = $39.80.

But you have to consider the cost of drilling and cutting the strips. You will be cutting cloth backed sandpaper, so blades do not last very long. I use the FD-HD blades which cost about 50 cents each. It takes 6 - 7 blades to cut the fingers in the strips - add $3.50. One of the pictures, below, shows what happens to blades after cutting 6 2" lines.

You need to drill a 1/2" hole through the strips. Don't try that unless you have a method for sharpening drill bits. I use a Drill Doctor, but not everyone has something like that.

By making your own, you will get 60 strips out of a roll of sand paper, vice the 48 that comes in a pack. So, you will have a bit larger mop than a precut one.
A well used mop will last two or three years (at least mine do). Now that I only have to buy the sanding roll and blades I get away with a cost of $18.50 per mop - plus the time it takes to make it. Compared to the $29.95 for pre-cut strips, I save money. But, I'm a retired hobbyist. A production shop whould have to reconsider time & materials.

Something to consider - save a little money by rolling your own.

sandmop-1.jpg

sandmop2.jpg

sandmop3.jpg

sandmop4.jpg

sandmop5.jpg

sandmop6.jpg

I can certainly see why it becomes a hassle to make your own but I still feel that $75 is a bit much for that first one. I guess they want to put some money in their pocket at least once. I'll have to give some thought as to how I can beat that price. There has to be a way. I still have my wholesale resale number so maybe I can buy wholesale. Who knows?

Ray